Gradpa at that!
Posted By: Tru2lifetaxidermy

Re: Can't shoot this one......ug - 10/01/15 01:19 PM

Posted By: tShawnB

Re: Can't shoot this one......ug - 10/01/15 01:41 PM

Camp meat.
Posted By: ruger260

Re: Can't shoot this one......ug - 10/01/15 02:03 PM

That buck is mature and does not need to be breeding! Frustrating rule on a deer like that!
Posted By: Enter Standman

Re: Can't shoot this one......ug - 10/01/15 04:08 PM

Moral vs legal decision. Hmmmm, what to do.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Can't shoot this one......ug - 10/01/15 05:12 PM

I didn't see you do it. smile
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Can't shoot this one......ug - 10/01/15 05:55 PM

Your screwed, every deer from now on is going to look exactly like him.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Can't shoot this one......ug - 10/01/15 06:01 PM

Originally Posted By: tShawnB
Camp meat.
Originally Posted By: ChrisB
[quote=hook_n_line]I didn't see you do it. smile
Posted By: rtp

Re: Can't shoot this one......ug - 10/02/15 01:09 AM

Get on the MLD3 program and you can shoot whatever bucks they give you tags for.
Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: Can't shoot this one......ug - 10/02/15 01:12 AM

MLD 2 or 3. I'd rifle just sayin!
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Can't shoot this one......ug - 10/02/15 01:32 AM

What deer whistle
Posted By: kyotee1

Re: Can't shoot this one......ug - 10/02/15 01:39 AM

That is the overall number one problem with the Antler Restrictions! And I'm with everyone on this, but please don't shot it. Murphey always seems to come back up in the future to bite.

Try like heck to get into the MLD 2 or 3 program.
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: Can't shoot this one......ug - 10/02/15 01:45 AM

Any chance you can send a pic to the county Wildgame biologist/ game warden and get a pass for this one??? Might be worth a shot.
Posted By: RovingTexan

Re: Can't shoot this one......ug - 10/02/15 02:16 AM

I had two bucks come in a couple of years ago. Both young, but one had an obvious injury to his left front leg. He was under the 13" rule, but he could barely walk. They both jumped the fence and he basically nose dived into the ground. That is probably the worst hunting experience of my life as I had to choose between breaking the law (and all the ramifications) or letting a wounded animal continue to suffer. I let him walk but to this day I regret that decision. Never saw him again so I'm sure he suffered a fate worse than a bullet. I know people would abuse it, but I really think there needs to be an exception for obviously wounded animals.
Posted By: TXGH

Re: Can't shoot this one......ug - 10/02/15 04:06 AM

I dunno it looks like 13" to me. How about everyone else?
Posted By: joeycoates

Re: Can't shoot this one......ug - 10/02/15 04:46 PM

We have one just like that, and now his offspring look the same as well. The papa we have has main beams that are literally within inches of touching, is a solid 8 point, and is very tall. He is the very definition of a basket buck and so are his sons. I get what the antler restrictions are meant to do, but this gene pool is doing absolutely no good.
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Can't shoot this one......ug - 10/02/15 05:38 PM

Go MLD then take him out...
Posted By: StephensCnty308

Re: Can't shoot this one......ug - 10/02/15 05:48 PM

Originally Posted By: RovingTexan
I had two bucks come in a couple of years ago. Both young, but one had an obvious injury to his left front leg. He was under the 13" rule, but he could barely walk. They both jumped the fence and he basically nose dived into the ground. That is probably the worst hunting experience of my life as I had to choose between breaking the law (and all the ramifications) or letting a wounded animal continue to suffer. I let him walk but to this day I regret that decision. Never saw him again so I'm sure he suffered a fate worse than a bullet. I know people would abuse it, but I really think there needs to be an exception for obviously wounded animals.

I would have shot him and then just left him lay where he fell. Give him back to nature.

No way can I see an animal suffer like that.
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Can't shoot this one......ug - 10/02/15 06:11 PM

Originally Posted By: ChrisB
Your screwed, every deer from now on is going to look exactly like him.

up
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Can't shoot this one......ug - 10/02/15 06:22 PM

Originally Posted By: ruger260
That buck is mature and does not need to be breeding! Frustrating rule on a deer like that!

yes but how many bucks did it save....that needed saving?
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Can't shoot this one......ug - 10/02/15 06:23 PM

Originally Posted By: StephensCnty308

I would have shot him and then just left him lay where he fell. Give him back to nature.

he might have made it....I've seen deer with broken legs make it. just cause he is hurt bad does not mean they are dying

Re: Can't shoot this one......ug - 10/02/15 08:19 PM

I think I'll talk to the local warden and see what happens....thanks for the suggestions
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: Can't shoot this one......ug - 10/02/15 08:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Tru2lifetaxidermy
I think I'll talk to the local warden and see what happens....thanks for the suggestions

Good luck. I've heard of things like this working out from time to time.
Posted By: Kell

Re: Can't shoot this one......ug - 10/03/15 01:54 PM

As an old deer hunter, I have always believed they went an inch too far. Very few basket racked bucks will not make 12". Very few 18 month old bucks will be 12". The original AR program was sold as a way to protect 18 ms old bucks that made up the majority of the buck harvest at that time and this was a worthy goal. (There has been a gradual truth creep in that goal to include 2 1/2 yr bucks and some 3 1/2 yr old bucks, but I remember how it came down.) If anyone will take the time to measure the racks and mounts of mature bucks hanging proudly on walls all over Texas they will notice that many are under 13" inside spread, yet most are over 12" inside spread. Do it for fun when you have the time. Try another test...look at the results of the big buck contests in areas with poor soil and feed. Many of the winners will be just over 13" inside spread and most will be less than 15". Some of the winners were probably nervous squeezing the trigger..Just saying..
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Can't shoot this one......ug - 10/03/15 03:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Kell
As an old deer hunter, I have always believed they went an inch too far. Very few basket racked bucks will not make 12". Very few 18 month old bucks will be 12". The original AR program was sold as a way to protect 18 ms old bucks that made up the majority of the buck harvest at that time and this was a worthy goal. (There has been a gradual truth creep in that goal to include 2 1/2 yr bucks and some 3 1/2 yr old bucks, but I remember how it came down.) If anyone will take the time to measure the racks and mounts of mature bucks hanging proudly on walls all over Texas they will notice that many are under 13" inside spread, yet most are over 12" inside spread. Do it for fun when you have the time. Try another test...look at the results of the big buck contests in areas with poor soil and feed. Many of the winners will be just over 13" inside spread and most will be less than 15". Some of the winners were probably nervous squeezing the trigger..Just saying..

That must a regional variance. I checked all my mounts and euros for grins. I only have one buck under 16"(that one is 14 1/4") with the rest being 16"+ to just under 25" inside spreads.
Posted By: kyotee1

Re: Can't shoot this one......ug - 10/03/15 08:21 PM

Originally Posted By: StephensCnty308

That would be Wanton Waste which can be charged and cited as a state jail felony in TPWD regulations. It would be better to ask permission from a game warden than asking for forgiveness later once you end up with the cost of taking an illegal buck and also committing Wanton Waste.

Re: Can't shoot this one......ug - 10/03/15 08:56 PM

I will not be the guy to shoot him and "give back to nature" nor the guy to shoot him and say nothing. I will be contacting the warden if he sticks around much longer to see if I would be allowed to take him and offer him to HFH if I can't keep the meat.
Posted By: Kell

Re: Can't shoot this one......ug - 10/04/15 12:56 PM

I like to read the Posts of STxranchman because he is almost always right on. And, he is right about this too. There are huge regional differences and always have been. Congratulations on your excellent trophies, Stxranchman. I have seen some of the photos of bucks in your pasture and you have beauties.
There are even regional differences within a region. For instance, his 25" buck. I am amazed that a 25" came from his area and not somewhere further west, like a good ranch in McMullen, LaSalle, Zavala, Dimmit or Webb County. When I was growing up in the age before deer management those were the areas that naturally produced big bucks.
I will always believe that 12" AR's would have done more good for the deer...AND hunters in those areas where AR's are in force. That would have protected the younger bucks and would have made it possible to take basket racks. It would have also made hunting a lot more enjoyable for hunters. No one wants to become a criminal by making an error of judgement as to antler width in the field.
Posted By: Kenny Powers

Re: Can't shoot this one......ug - 10/05/15 06:37 PM

Shoot it eat it and then send it on down the river
Posted By: spro

Re: Can't shoot this one......ug - 10/05/15 07:11 PM

On my lease we have a few similar bucks plus a few smaller 4 points that would obviously never meet AR's in their lifetime. Makes me wounder if AR restrictions are actually increasing the population of under 13" deer. If the under 13" 3+ yr old bucks never gets shot then they have the upper hand to spread their genetics. How long before the under 13" genes takes over and the legal ones become extremely rare or extinct.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum