Texas Hunting Forum

Moving a blind...logistics?

Posted By: Cow_doc.308

Moving a blind...logistics? - 09/27/15 03:22 PM

I'm planning on taking over a blind that a former member of our lease left 2 years ago. Problem is I need to move it from his area to mine.

This thing is a big box blind about 4 feet off the ground. Its about 4x6 and heavy. He built it out of 4x6 posts and heavy plywood. I considered taking it apart but its glued and screwed together. (this is what happens when guys with engineering degrees build blinds roflmao)

Don't have to move it far. maybe 3/4 mile, but its fairly rough roads between the two places.

Options I've considered:
tractor with forks...worry about it being top heavy and tipping off the forks.
laying it on a trailer....where I want to put it is not especially friendly to driving a trailer in to.

Looking for some advice from somebody to might have moved one of these before.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Moving a blind...logistics? - 09/27/15 03:26 PM

Skid it with 2x6's or 2x8's and drag it slowly to your new location. I have done a couple like that.
Posted By: HS2

Re: Moving a blind...logistics? - 09/27/15 06:08 PM

I like the idea of attaching the 2x8s and skidding it. But you could also try renting a flatbed truck and tipping it over onto the flatbed.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Moving a blind...logistics? - 09/27/15 07:13 PM

I'd tip it over on a trailer.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Moving a blind...logistics? - 09/27/15 07:46 PM

If the tractor is big enough; pick it up with the forks and strap it in with heavy tow straps. I've moved them with hay forks and chains or straps no problem.
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Moving a blind...logistics? - 09/27/15 08:49 PM

Originally Posted By: TexFlip
If the tractor is big enough; pick it up with the forks and strap it in with heavy tow straps. I've moved them with hay forks and chains or straps no problem.

This
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Moving a blind...logistics? - 09/27/15 09:01 PM

Tip it into the back of a pick up. We like this better than a trailer, a truck is taller so tipping it in and tipping out is easier, and you can get the truck into tighter spaces, if height isn't a problem.
Posted By: Deputy T

Re: Moving a blind...logistics? - 09/27/15 09:51 PM

Front end loader with forks and a strap. I just moved my 4x6 with double walls this way....SLOWLY lol
Posted By: GLC

Re: Moving a blind...logistics? - 09/27/15 11:24 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Skid it with 2x6's or 2x8's and drag it slowly to your new location. I have done a couple like that.

I have done this with a 7 x 5 x 10 tall, put 4 x 4's under it. Chained it to the runners and pulled it around. Just pull slow, stay on level ground, if you need to have a rope guide on each side to stabilize it with with a couple of guys on it, plus one driver / puller and one watcher. Just make sure the the base is solid. Any leg collapses and you are screwed. I have moved it three times like this after first setting it up..

Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: Moving a blind...logistics? - 09/27/15 11:28 PM

Tipping over in the truck is the easiest as stated above.
Posted By: Tru2lifetaxidermy

Re: Moving a blind...logistics? - 09/27/15 11:56 PM

Agreed tip on truck or trailer. Done a few like this. Two strong backs and a couple cold ones should do the trick
Posted By: TiggerV

Re: Moving a blind...logistics? - 09/28/15 01:22 AM

Let me know if you need help. If I'm free at that time, I'll come help

Re: Moving a blind...logistics? - 09/28/15 01:46 AM

Thanks fellas. It will probably have to be on to a trailer. I filled my truck bed up with a vet box and I'm dang sure not laying it down on that. If I can find a tractor with forks I may give that a go.

Tigger, Thanks for the offer. I should have some help from the guys at the lease and a teenage kid that I take hunting so I can play with his toys. roflmao
Posted By: TiggerV

Re: Moving a blind...logistics? - 09/28/15 03:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Cow_doc.308
Thanks fellas. It will probably have to be on to a trailer. I filled my truck bed up with a vet box and I'm dang sure not laying it down on that. If I can find a tractor with forks I may give that a go.

Tigger, Thanks for the offer. I should have some help from the guys at the lease and a teenage kid that I take hunting so I can play with his toys. roflmao
up
Posted By: lawndart956

Re: Moving a blind...logistics? - 09/28/15 07:31 PM

I just moved this turd 12 miles the other day. It was really not a big deal with a tractor that has forks. We have a 24' gooseneck and I just drove the tractor on to the trailer with the blind. After everything was where I wanted it I let the weight of the bucket and forks set on bracing for the legs of the stand and chained the tractor down so it wouldn't move. Then it was just a matter of going slow.

Re: Moving a blind...logistics? - 10/05/15 02:37 AM

Got this thing moved this afternoon. Pretty much right where I wanted but a little closer to my feeder than I really wanted (60 yards). Couldn't really get further back without getting across the fence and in with the cows or cutting a good bit of mesquite. I think it ended up in a good spot though. Only a couple tense moments crossing a couple ditches with it on the front of the tractor. Made it without any damage though.

Posted By: dkershen

Re: Moving a blind...logistics? - 10/05/15 02:58 AM

I've got a flat bed with hydrologic arms for feeding bales. Comes in super handy to move blinds.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum