Texas Hunting Forum

Rye grass seed?

Posted By: BlakeJ

Rye grass seed? - 09/23/15 08:58 AM

How many pounds per acre is recommended?

Is there any particular kind of seed I should be buying, or is it all the same?
Posted By: Western

Re: Rye grass seed? - 09/23/15 09:40 AM

You want a cereal grain rye seed, much (far) better than a "yard" type rye like Gulf coast.

Something like this

http://www.territorialseed.com/product/W...rass_cover_crop

You can check with your local feed store and see if they carry a cereal rye, or can get it fairly quick.
Posted By: DUKFVR

Re: Rye grass seed? - 09/23/15 11:32 AM

We plant elbon rye. It is a cereal rye. Like stated above much better than rye grass.
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Rye grass seed? - 09/23/15 01:36 PM

I read somewhere that the Texas Ag Extension recommending cereal rye grass as the number one plant for food plots. I haven't tried it yet, but plan on ordering a sack from the link Dennis posted. You never know until you try it!!! I'm going to order a 25 pound sack and spread it over a quarter acre spot that I've recently cleared.

Thanks Dennis for the link!!!
Posted By: djs303

Re: Rye grass seed? - 09/23/15 08:04 PM

Rye grass is good but the ground has to be cool to germinate and it usually doesn't get growing real good in my area, central gulf coast, until deer season is about to end.
Posted By: svbubba

Re: Rye grass seed? - 09/23/15 08:27 PM

thanks........
Posted By: passthru

Re: Rye grass seed? - 09/24/15 03:10 AM

Works great but it does better the cooler it gets. The cereal grain is better for the deer but they will eat the regular as well.
Posted By: okiehuntr

Re: Rye grass seed? - 09/25/15 11:01 PM

Elbon is the easiest to grow..I only use Triticale rye/wheat cross....rye stays green longer but less tasty.
Okiehuntr
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum