Texas Hunting Forum

East Texas

Posted By: Kcauley

East Texas - 09/22/15 02:48 PM

I have a lot of pictures of deer actually in day light hours eating corn. I haven't seen any large bucks yet though. What else are you guys seeing?
Posted By: Bdontexoma

Re: East Texas - 09/22/15 03:30 PM

Similar observation in Nacogdoches county.

I'm on public land and have seen quite a few does durring daylight hours on cameras. Not very many bucks yet though (day or night).

Last year by this time I had 2 good bucks patterned. My theory is that high river water for a couple of months pushed them out durring the spring and they have settled elsewhere for now. No doubt that they will start to come back around though. Having does around now means bucks later.

Re: East Texas - 09/22/15 03:45 PM

Sounds like a very good theory. I'm honestly just excited to actually have deer coming in during the daylight hours. Last year, 80% of my pictures were at night.

I have the two small bucks that are just all over the property, but like you, still waiting to see that big boy. I can't wait for bow season in two weeks.
Posted By: jseago

Re: East Texas - 09/23/15 01:39 PM

Weather change will stand them up
Posted By: wp75169

Re: East Texas - 09/23/15 01:52 PM

I have 7300 pictures of pigs in 21 days. Zero deer. Pig heard numbers 19. Moving from feeder to feeder twice a day. They are a -2 as of last Saturday.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: East Texas - 09/23/15 01:57 PM

I haven't actually seen my SD card in a cpl months, but apparently I'm getting the same group of bucks over and over and over, no does and the motherload of hogs. Sooo, feeders have already been shut off. Will likely keep them that way this year.
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: East Texas - 09/23/15 02:11 PM

I'm close to Tyler and I've only seen a few doe and fawns during daylight hours. Most of my buck pictures from my two game cameras show them coming out at last light, or just after it gets dark. For years my corn feeder was just providing corn to the hogs and that's what I saw mostly. It got so bad last year that I never saw a buck all season. So I fenced in my corn feeder and shot every hog I saw. So far I've only seen a couple of hogs on camera and while out walking around. Hog sign is minimal, and deer sign is everywhere. You can't have both, if hogs show up, the deer will leave. After awhile, I just got bored with shooting hogs.
Posted By: Night Hunting TV

Re: East Texas - 09/23/15 06:43 PM

Originally Posted By: EddieWalker
I'm close to Tyler and I've only seen a few doe and fawns during daylight hours. Most of my buck pictures from my two game cameras show them coming out at last light, or just after it gets dark. For years my corn feeder was just providing corn to the hogs and that's what I saw mostly. It got so bad last year that I never saw a buck all season. So I fenced in my corn feeder and shot every hog I saw. So far I've only seen a couple of hogs on camera and while out walking around. Hog sign is minimal, and deer sign is everywhere. You can't have both, if hogs show up, the deer will leave. After awhile, I just got bored with shooting hogs.

Eddie, Where are you at roughly.

I have a couple bucks coming in, but mostly hogs 2 times a day. 8 in the morning and 7:45 at night. Like clock work. Friday cant get here quick enough.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: East Texas - 09/23/15 06:48 PM

Only photos we have show the bucks moving in the early morning hours well before sunrise.

Re: East Texas - 09/24/15 08:45 PM

I have pictures of deer and pigs eating together. I'm not sure how common that is but its a first for me. I have tons of does every single day for the last week and a half as well as the normal pigs like clock work. I want to go kill a pig but I don't want to throw the deer off for opening weekend next week if I draw blood.

Thoughts on that?
Posted By: rickym

Re: East Texas - 09/24/15 09:00 PM

It's not ultra rare to see them side by side but it's not common at all, probably means there isn't a dominant boar around. I probably wouldn't shoot so close to the season unless with a bow, or the pigs show up before or stay later than the deer.
Posted By: GHale

Re: East Texas - 09/25/15 08:55 PM

My lease in Harrison county shows some does during the day time and an occasional 4 pointer but the other bucks are all nocturnal still. They come to the feeder at about 9:30 and 3:30 in the morning.
Posted By: DHS274

Re: East Texas - 09/26/15 01:39 AM

My land in far east Texas, the mature bucks disappear around March and don't come back again until rut. I think they lay up close to water and crops, easy food source. They don't wander as much as does in the summer. Does have fawns and work to do, I have noticed over the years a doe with two fawns will usually get another mature doe straggling along with, her, safety in numbers.
I do see young bucks in the summer, come rut the old boys run them off.

There are acorns again this year at my place, a pretty good crop. But right now with no rain, there are no "ice cream" plants popping up so the does and fawns are hitting the feed hard. 365 is my favorite feed along with corn, hogs will pass it for the most part on and the deer love it.

I run a year round feeder, just for the summer months when it can get hot and dry, that keeps the does around, and come rut, where the does are, so come the bucks.
Posted By: HS2

Re: East Texas - 09/27/15 02:06 AM

The only deer I've seen since spring is at night. It seems like most years the deer are pretty scarce until just after deer season is over in January, then I see a good buck or two on the cameras.
Posted By: txwingnut

Re: East Texas - 10/02/15 01:45 PM

Checked mine again this week and same thing, lot of does but no bucks yet.
Posted By: Shane H.

Re: East Texas - 10/02/15 06:36 PM

Near Tyler also and I see mostly does and hogs. Back in the March I saw a few mature bucks late at night while night hunting hogs, but the bucks are not on the camera now.
Posted By: Texas45

Re: East Texas - 10/03/15 10:30 AM

Same in Jasper County. Several does, only one small 4 point buck.
Posted By: Woodrow1

Re: East Texas - 10/03/15 03:35 PM

I'm in Madison county

Seeing extremely large amounts of hogs

Seen a couple of 9pts, 10pt, 6pt, 4pt, . And does.

The 10pt wasn't on camera though. Won't come near the feeders yet...But we see him when we go out hog hunting.
Posted By: sqiggy

Re: East Texas - 10/03/15 07:49 PM

I get good pics of big bucks every year at this time. But none of my cameras are over feeders. Won't find them there. I put mine over well used creek crossings, known trails, and places I hand corn. Haven't checked my cameras since I put them out about a month ago. Will get to check them this Sun and can't wait to see how much bigger they are this year!!!
Posted By: Ryan81

Re: East Texas - 10/04/15 05:29 PM

Just a few does with a 5 point showing up to the feeder. Both hunts yesterday I had seen some bigger bucks but they stayed about 100 yards out. They still have plenty to eat though.

Re: East Texas - 10/13/15 11:15 PM

I had a mature buck show on 9/29/15. He jumped on a pile of 365 feed and stuffed his belly. He also wandered around my deer camp, saw him on the security camera. He stood a few feet from the porch, I think he smelled some feed I have stored in there. Deer are curious and brave when its not hunting season.

Re: East Texas - 10/14/15 04:28 PM

Originally Posted By: sqiggy
I get good pics of big bucks every year at this time. But none of my cameras are over feeders. Won't find them there. I put mine over well used creek crossings, known trails, and places I hand corn. Haven't checked my cameras since I put them out about a month ago. Will get to check them this Sun and can't wait to see how much bigger they are this year!!!

I went that route with hogs being a major problem this year. Put them on spots that usually have big scrapes and just a cpl pockets in the thickets where bucks tend to hang out and browse. My browse spot activity picked up bc of a scrape showing up, but my community scrape spots have been dry as of last check. I like seeing them get started by older deer instead of yearlings that think every low hanging limb needs a scrape under it.

Posted By: Sig220

Re: East Texas - 10/15/15 08:24 PM

Rifle, some nice deer there. I can only report hogs, does and a couple of bucks around the feeders. The bucks seem more hesitant to come to the feeders and instead prefer the ground corn. Have pics of a basket 6 and a ten point but I don't think the ten will make 13"...just a high and forward rack. The does will eat well, though!

This is far south Jasper county, btw.
Posted By: TxHunter87

Re: East Texas - 10/15/15 10:20 PM

Had nothing but hogs all summer, more than i have ever had before differnt groups, even knocked over one of my feeders my game cam had 4000 pics of hogs and then about mid Sept i tried out an idea i had about introducing more deer scent into the area in hopes that if the area smelled more like deer and not just hogs more deer would come in, checked my game cams Oct 4th and i have more deer then hogs now, more bucks then i have ever had and the hogs are coming at night while the deer come out during the day 90% of the time- No idea if it was b/c of what i did might of been the change it temp or just luck

Yall have an idea on age on this guy?

here you can see the stick i coverd in deer scent and didnt get any smelling the stick but once it went up they all started coming

Posted By: greygooser

Re: East Texas - 10/15/15 10:31 PM

TxHunter87 - Thats a pretty interesting idea, its always hard to tell with these things whether they are just dumb luck or if you're onto something . What exactly did you use for the deer scent?

I might give it a go.

Posted By: TxHunter87

Re: East Texas - 10/15/15 11:17 PM

I used the Conquest Evercalm Deer Herd in a Stick, that one had the best reviews out of everything i had found and i like the idea it was a deer herd not just doe or buck pee and yea i normally try to not put any type of scent out i am always worried those things are just a gimmick but i was desperate and i noticed when i did get to my feeders the smell of hogs was overwhelming that’s when the idea hit me, at that point I really had nothing to lose since I wasn’t seeing any deer at all but if you do try it let me know how it works, to me the theory is sound but would be interesting to hear how it worked for others

Also just to let you know I put some on the legs of the feeder as well as putting that stick up that was covered in it and I also put it on trees about 20 yards away from my feeders kinda circling it
Posted By: D-Day

Re: East Texas - 10/25/15 09:03 PM

Acorns haven't dropped in NE Texas in my area...weird.
Posted By: RazorbackRon

Re: East Texas - 10/25/15 09:30 PM

I just moved here from Arkansas, hence the name smile. Well, I built a pen to keep the hogs away, and put a gravity feeder inside it. The gravity feeders sat for 3 weeks and a single deer didn't jump in there. So, we finally got moved down here, and I put out 5 cameras around trails and different angles to the pen. Now, I'm up to 6 different deer but mainly just scraggly small bucks eating some of my hand spread corn.

They have gotten brave enough to eat right next to the pen, but have yet to jump in. My thoughts have been that the acorns are so plentiful, they aren't hitting the corn too hard yet. Hopefully this weather front gets them moving and eating the corn. I'm going to keep running several cameras on trails and such, but wondered what you guys thoughts were....

Thanks!
Posted By: ryorgensen

Re: East Texas - 10/26/15 10:25 AM

Originally Posted By: D-Day
Acorns haven't dropped in NE Texas in my area...weird.

Are you sure you have acorns? Here in Northeast Houston County the Acorns are slim. The deer are eating corn better than I've seen in many years..

Re: East Texas - 10/26/15 01:22 PM

You tell me, do I have a problem this year?

Re: East Texas - 10/26/15 02:39 PM

He'll have a problem when she stomps him and runs him off.

Re: East Texas - 10/26/15 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By: rifleman
He'll have a problem when she stomps him and runs him off.

He just lost his spots about a month ago. Got to give him an A for trying. And he is her son.

Re: East Texas - 10/28/15 05:15 PM

Does coming into heat, just like female dogs riding each other from time to time. I had a few does getting pissy with each other yesterday, one even reared all the way up on her hind legs, quite the site from 30 yards away. DMS, does "monsterating" is good site for hunters.. haha
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum