Texas Hunting Forum

Deer seniority matters

Posted By: 603Country

Deer seniority matters - 09/21/15 07:04 PM

our big yard feeder goes off at 7 am and 5 pm, and since I bought 'The Timer' it feeds every time. Every morning our 6 point yard buck is standing there waiting, like he has a wrist watch. But this morning a spike was waiting first, but the 6 point ran him off and assumed his regular position of standing there and watching the spinner plate. But, here came a big 8 point who ran the 6 point off. About that time the feeder paid off and made the usual loud racket. That scared the heck out of the 8 point and he went straight up about 4 feet and then ran like the devil was after him. Then the spike saw his chance and moved into position, being younger and quicker, but he was rapidly shoved out of the way by the 6 point who appeared to be eating as fast as he could before the 8 point got back. And here came the 8 point, who scattered the other guys, who had to stand and watch the big guy eat. And during this whole battle for position, our 20 pound tomcat was stalking all 3 of them. He has big dreams.

The wife has already told me that I'd better not shoot any of her yard bucks, though the spike is fair game. This sure beats working for a living. Retirement is good.
Posted By: Western

Re: Deer seniority matters - 09/21/15 07:09 PM

Retirement is good as long as you're the bigger "buck". Sounds like you may be struggling for "position"grin
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Deer seniority matters - 09/21/15 07:53 PM

Funny to see them waiting.

Our feeders beep before they feed. The timer will start beeping 10 seconds before the feeder goes off. I was sitting leaned up next to a tree with my bow before sun up at about 15 yards. A big boar came in walked through the feeder and stepped off to the side about 10 yards from me and laid down to wait for the feeder. About 5 minutes later I heard the 10 second countdown beep for the feeder to go off and the boar stood up and walked up to the feeder, he was close! I could see him close his eyes while the feeder went off and corn was bouncing off of him. I quickly sank an arrow into him, he weighed 185 lbs, was a very cool experience.
Posted By: mikeydon

Re: Deer seniority matters - 09/22/15 02:02 AM

Retirement lizard,How sweet it is,I got 14 working day's and a wake up partyon555

And i dont care what position i got at home,Me and my 9yr old GRAND-SON ARE GOING TO LIVE LIFE GOOD cheers
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Deer seniority matters - 09/22/15 03:10 AM

Good post and imput from.redchevy. at our lease the young deer come in after. Everyone has left in the morning, and run to get there at 415 in the afternoon.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum