Texas Hunting Forum

Fireants in game cam

Posted By: krmitchell

Fireants in game cam - 09/21/15 02:41 AM

Went with a fellow lease member to check his cameras and when he opened the camera, fire ants came pouring out from the inside. Cleaned them all out, and made sure there were no obvious openings. Came back this morning and more ants had already made their way inside it. Any ideas to avoid this? We didn't get any pictures off the camera when the ants were in there, can't figure out why other than them messing something up.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Posted By: sectxag06

Re: Fireants in game cam - 09/21/15 02:48 AM

were they fireants or crazy ants? crazy ants are attracted to electrical current and wind up in all kinds of things and are extremely hard to stop.

Re: Fireants in game cam - 09/21/15 02:58 AM

Fire ants for sure.
Posted By: sectxag06

Re: Fireants in game cam - 09/21/15 03:10 AM

wow, that's odd. was it just one camera or multiple? either way, tell your friend to save the pancakes and syrup until after he sets his camera. roflmao

Re: Fireants in game cam - 09/21/15 04:23 AM

Just a single camera, although they are all the same brand so idk.......couldn't believe they were back 1 day later. Probably going to move the camera.
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: Fireants in game cam - 09/21/15 12:46 PM

If you can, sprinkle some acephate powder inside the camera.
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: Fireants in game cam - 09/21/15 01:33 PM

This is the kind of crap I have to put up with here in Alabama.

http://www.aldeer.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1453802&gonew=1#UNREAD
Posted By: Aggieman775

Re: Fireants in game cam - 09/21/15 01:42 PM

I have had that happen sprinkle fire ant powder inside the camera
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Fireants in game cam - 09/21/15 02:07 PM

If it were me, and it's not, I would put a very light coat of grease(probably Vaseline, on the sides and back. The ants will get stuck in it.

If you're using a TPost, put some grease around the bottom. I've done this on wire that I use to hang hummingbird feeders. No ants.

I have never found a fire ant solution that actually works.
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Fireants in game cam - 09/21/15 02:23 PM

Get some pyrethrin (spray into a cup if using spray- Don't spray into cam!) and use q-tip to wipe around inside of camera ( it won't 'wash off' with rain ).
Wipe some around outside of cam (near the seal, but NOT on it).
If problem real bad, put a few drops onto a cotton ball and leave inside camera.
Problem will go away permanently!
Posted By: Western

Re: Fireants in game cam - 09/21/15 02:32 PM

I have just used and ant spray that has a residual property, even used it once on feeder legs to keep them out of the drum. I dont think it bothers deer anymore than a road does.
Posted By: rarjar

Re: Fireants in game cam - 09/21/15 02:49 PM

Originally Posted By: rexmitchell
Went with a fellow lease member to check his cameras and when he opened the camera, fire ants came pouring out from the inside. Cleaned them all out, and made sure there were no obvious openings. Came back this morning and more ants had already made their way inside it. Any ideas to avoid this? We didn't get any pictures off the camera when the ants were in there, can't figure out why other than them messing something up.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

We have a problem in East Texas of fire ants getting into outside AC units. We cut a small piece of the orange medicated cattle ear tags and place in the electrical box of the outside unit. Never had a problem with them after that. You might try that and see if that stops the problem...just remember to replace it every 6-12 months.
Posted By: Night Hunting TV

Re: Fireants in game cam - 09/21/15 03:12 PM

Just be glad they aren't in the metal on your lean stand. They decided they wanted to be real close me sitting in my stand. Thank the lord, I was moving it. I cant imagine getting out there on opening day and be covered from head to toe with them 18 ft off the ground.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum