Texas Hunting Forum

Youth Colorado Bend - Deer either sex

Posted By: 12shotgun

Youth Colorado Bend - Deer either sex - 09/15/15 10:35 PM

Well my son was drawn for Colorado Bend deer either sex; if anyone has hunted there before and can share their experience I'd greatly appreciate it.
Last year he was draw for Bastrop but we didn't see any deer, just some pigs on the last day; he's on a lucky run, hopefully this year he will have the chance to get a deer.
Posted By: 8th1

Re: Youth Colorado Bend - Deer either sex - 09/16/15 04:26 AM

I was on a hunt there back in '06. The area was pretty thick with cedar. As you drive into park, the area to your right (farthest west), has the more open land. I saw a lot of does and a big, big buck in that area.I was on a doe hunt and got a doe. Back then no baiting was allowed. If they allow it now, I would spread plenty of corn(couple of bags).

The camping area is really nice, right by the river. Town is a pretty long drive, try to take everything you need.

Have fun, I hope your son gets a couple of deer!

Re: Youth Colorado Bend - Deer either sex - 09/16/15 12:03 PM

Will definitely pack everything and then some plus a few bags of corn. Thanks!
Posted By: jmh004

Re: Youth Colorado Bend - Deer either sex - 09/16/15 01:16 PM

I use to lease the private land right across the river from the park. Lots and lots of deer. You may be able to get a decent buck as well. Good luck!
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Youth Colorado Bend - Deer either sex - 09/16/15 01:31 PM

Me and a buddy got to hunt it in 07/08 (I think it was), our area was the one with the waterfall. We saw several deer but I was holding out for a buck (didn't see anything good), my buddy shot at 2 does at 2 separate times and missed both. Camping area was real nice. Make sure you are allowed to bait, we couldn't.
Posted By: sqiggy

Re: Youth Colorado Bend - Deer either sex - 09/16/15 01:37 PM

When you look at the map of the compartments, the compartment to the left of the campground and along the river (can't remember the number), ask for that one. Then, the 2 places I would hunt, (1) Right behind the dump that's on top of the hill before you drop down to the camp ground and (2) work your way down the trail that leaves from the campground and along the river and past the other "walk-in" campsites. You will thank me later!!! up
Posted By: copperhead

Re: Youth Colorado Bend - Deer either sex - 09/16/15 04:44 PM

I've hunted there three times, I found the best area is on the western side just as you come into the park. There had been some Auodad seen there as well and at the time you could shoot every one you could see. The rangers don't like them. Good luck to your son, he'll enjoy it. Take a rod and reel, some dang good fishing there too.

Re: Youth Colorado Bend - Deer either sex - 09/16/15 08:04 PM

Good info here. Thank you!
Posted By: okjhutch

Re: Youth Colorado Bend - Deer either sex - 09/18/15 12:01 AM

yep its thick, corn the spots sit and wait

Re: Youth Colorado Bend - Deer either sex - 09/18/15 01:48 AM

Baiting is allowed so I'll definitely will be dumping a bunch of corn.
Posted By: Brian C.

Re: Youth Colorado Bend - Deer either sex - 09/20/15 05:24 PM

Congrats on the Draw!!! My wife was drawn for an Either Sex tag last year for the second hunt and I was fortunate enough to get a Standby permit. Unfortunately I became very sick the first day but we pressed on anyway. We had an awesome time! My wife shot a spike the first afternoon while scouting the place and I shot a HEAVY bodied fork horn at dark. The following day around 1:30pm while eating a sack lunch in the field we had several deer run through the clearing. A short stalk and she got a nice 7 pnt. After that we decided to go with enough deer meat for ourselves. All together we saw probably around 25-30 deer. The deer are relatively small in the San Saba area with a few 130-140" popping up at the local taxidermist every year. Yes baiting is allowed with aflatoxin free corn (< 20 ppm). It is thick and rugged country. Rolling hills with deep draws and canyons covered mostly in cedar. Most hunters didn't go too far from the truck. Last year on the first hunt a guy did get an Audad in the steep canyon to the south of the main rd. which are free for the taking with hogs. A note on the hogs, last year the staff were entering anyone who shot a hog into a drawing for a new shotgun. So knock'em dead if you see one. (Presuming they repeat). The Staff last year were world class!!!!! Hands down Texas hospitality at its finest and everything TPWD stands for. Note on the terrian and staff, there are like over 200+ known caves/manholes in the park so DON'T go looking for a wounded deer at night too far. The staff have lights, ATVS, and Climbing/Repel gear to retrieve your animal. Yes I said repel and yes deer have fallen into caves out there after being shot. Best of luck to your son Sir! As luck would have it we applied as a group this year and were drawn for the Antlerless/Spike hunt in the middle of December. Let us know how it goes. Good Luck and Godspeed to all!

Re: Youth Colorado Bend - Deer either sex - 09/21/15 03:28 AM

Awesome. Thanks for the info. We're planning to take a couple trips before the hunt to familiarize with the terrain as we haven't been to that park before.
We had a blast in Bastrop last year although he didn't shoot any deer; the staff was also first class.
Congrats on the draw as well and hope you guys have a great time.

Re: Youth Colorado Bend - Deer either sex - 12/07/15 03:55 PM

Well it finally came... just came back from the youth weekend hunt and it was a very successful one, there were 26 kids and the first night there were about 14 deer taken, not sure about the doe/buck ratio but there were some good bucks I heard; my son took a doe Saturday evening just before end of LST. The GW aged it at 5.5 years and weighted 62# dressed, and on Sunday he took a nice 8 pt buck which came at 94# dressed, decent sized.
We left the hunt around noon on Sunday as we had to take the deer to a processor, and heard some other deer had been taken, some kids filled their 3 deer tags, but not sure of the final count as the hunt went on until 6pm.
We corned the opening we were hunting on, and also dropped some sweet horse feed (Park staff told us the deer liked horse/mule feed); Sunday morning all corn was gone, but the horse feed seemed to be all there, maybe they didn't like the brand...? Park staff was awesome with the kids.
We were in compartment 2, which is the Gorman Falls/Conference Center area; a kid got a nice big Auodad as well, not sure in what compartment he was; no pigs that I'm aware off.

Here are a few pics from the doe/buck, these are his first deer harvested:

First deer/doe:

Second deer/buck:

Very proud, my heart was probably racing more than his.... grin
Posted By: Brian C.

Re: Youth Colorado Bend - Deer either sex - 12/07/15 04:30 PM

Outstanding!
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: Youth Colorado Bend - Deer either sex - 12/07/15 04:46 PM

up texas
Posted By: 82Ag

Re: Youth Colorado Bend - Deer either sex - 12/07/15 04:53 PM

Great job Dad! Congrats to the young hunter....he's off to a good start! up
Posted By: pkhunter624

Re: Youth Colorado Bend - Deer either sex - 12/07/15 06:17 PM

Good job Dad, Congrats to your son's first doe and a real nice first buck.

Re: Youth Colorado Bend - Deer either sex - 12/07/15 07:10 PM

Another interesting fact, he used the same gun I used to get my first deer back in '82.... Hope to see his kids do the same.
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Youth Colorado Bend - Deer either sex - 12/07/15 09:25 PM

Both great animals cheers
Congrats to you both, his smile says it all up
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Youth Colorado Bend - Deer either sex - 12/07/15 10:12 PM

Sounds like a great hunt. He did good.
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Youth Colorado Bend - Deer either sex - 12/07/15 10:41 PM

Excellent up
Posted By: ddmm

Re: Youth Colorado Bend - Deer either sex - 12/07/15 11:17 PM

That is as good as it gets right there!! Congratulations young man, you did an outstanding job!!
And be sure to thank your dad for everything he has done...

Re: Youth Colorado Bend - Deer either sex - 01/02/16 10:34 PM

My son wanted an euro mount like the ones he saw while dropping off the deer at the processor, we picked it up today and went up in his man/boy cave, hopefully the first of many memories.
Posted By: steven h

Re: Youth Colorado Bend - Deer either sex - 01/02/16 11:05 PM

Great looking mount and a happy man for sure! Congrats
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Youth Colorado Bend - Deer either sex - 01/03/16 05:56 PM

Well done, and a memory for the rest of his life that always put a smile on his face.
Ron
Posted By: retiredrailroadguy

Re: Youth Colorado Bend - Deer either sex - 12/28/16 02:50 PM

nice buck, and a happy camper! doe also a good one..
Posted By: Buck25-06

Re: Youth Colorado Bend - Deer either sex - 12/28/16 02:59 PM

Man I love those chocolate horns congrats lots memories there!
Posted By: Hogflyer

Re: Youth Colorado Bend - Deer either sex - 12/29/16 01:16 AM

Hunted there on either sex hunt back in 1999...... tried many times before, still havent been drawn for a hunt there..... Hunted just past the main cattle guard when you enter the park on the left hand side, me and 4 others. Got a small 6 pt, he was 6 1/2 yr old buck, still pretty healthy for a older buck...... there were lots of pigs to shoot at, i carry a 44 with me all the time, so i would have a sidearm just incase...... dont think hunt managers like that, but who cares, im having some sow try to chew on my leg......
Carry 300grn heavy cast loads.....

You can bait corn or whatever all you want, and grab you a small pop up blind, they do work, i just sat in a small try someone made a makeshift blind out of, still held my big but........
If you get a deer, the bioligist record weight age, check teeth, skin for the records...... pretty good run ship!
they will supply you a tag for the game you take, you wont need your tags..... just ID and good cooler..... bring plenty of ice, incase
you get a heat wave that weekend. Its almost hr away to closest store for ice!

good luck, take a camera, to keep memories..... was 24 last night i was there, pretty chilly in the old canvas tent i had....

hunt safe.....
Posted By: Hogflyer

Re: Youth Colorado Bend - Deer either sex - 12/29/16 12:21 PM

Great mount! happy man....made memories...

congrats.....
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Youth Colorado Bend - Deer either sex - 12/29/16 01:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Brian C.
Outstanding!
Originally Posted By: kdkane1971
up texas
Originally Posted By: 82Ag
Great job Dad! Congrats to the young hunter....he's off to a good start! up
Posted By: Buck25-06

Re: Youth Colorado Bend - Deer either sex - 12/30/16 02:34 AM

That's awsom congrats