Texas Hunting Forum

home made drags

Posted By: huntindude

home made drags - 09/10/15 12:29 PM

I usually finish my food plots by using the bucket as a drag. A couple of years ago I made a chain link fence drag, but it came apart. What kind of drags do ya'll use?
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: home made drags - 09/10/15 12:37 PM

I have used old gates, cattle panels with post for extra weight, old cattleguard, telephone poles, pipe etc...
Posted By: huntindude

Re: home made drags - 09/10/15 12:45 PM

cattle panels nice and simple. Just add a little weight I can do. I have 3 old gates Ill try too.
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: home made drags - 09/10/15 12:58 PM

Homemade 8 foot pallet. It's got the weight and easy to build and repair.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: home made drags - 09/10/15 02:20 PM

Have an old pipe gate with panel on it, works great.
Posted By: Cast

Re: home made drags - 09/10/15 02:45 PM

I use a section of galvanized walkway, nice and heavy. Chains to connect to the tractor.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: home made drags - 09/10/15 02:51 PM

I use an old truck tire.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: home made drags - 09/10/15 03:01 PM

Use a metal pipe for the front support then get a few good size chains and cut them about 6ft long... weld them to the front pipe spaced how you want them then run a few the width of the drag or some rebar to keep it running square... take another chain and weld at each end at the front of the pipe were you can just throw the middle of it onto a ball hitch
Posted By: Payne

Re: home made drags - 09/10/15 03:03 PM

I've used channel iron with chains, pipe fence and cattle guards now I'm running with this.

Posted By: Western

Re: home made drags - 09/10/15 04:20 PM

I have done like most of you, used the same type drags. Now I use 5-7 tires wire together in a pyramid. Drags great, doesn't over bury and flexes on anything like trees I may hit, leaves the ground smooth almost like a cultipaker went over it.

I don't think you can beat cattle panels in clay type soil that likes to clump though, those panels are great for breaking down clods.
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: home made drags - 09/10/15 04:48 PM

Our club has 900 acres and 20 small 1/2 acre plots. So ease of moving from one plot to another is important.

Here's what we made for pulling behind and ATV.

Posted By: Navasot

Re: home made drags - 09/10/15 09:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Payne
I've used channel iron with chains, pipe fence and cattle guards now I'm running with this.

flehan

Re: home made drags - 09/10/15 10:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
Originally Posted By: Payne

flehan

flehan flehan
Posted By: REALKILLER

Re: home made drags - 09/10/15 11:28 PM

The old man down the way gets an occasional hog invasion. I give him all kinds of old oilfield junk to drag behind his John Deere. A set of coils out of a line heater works good and he has used old separators. Them hog roots take some heavy weighted drags. up
Posted By: Dirt

Re: home made drags - 09/11/15 12:20 AM

I made one in spring, chain link fence and 4x4's. Ended up pushing to much soil on the front end of it.
So I chained up to the remaining 40' of chain link that was rolled up and dragged that. I'm gonna keep uusing it. It worked out pretty well.

Cheers

Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: home made drags - 09/11/15 02:20 PM

I use a piece of 4' X 5' cattle panel with the front turned up a little and tie a few concrete blocks on top.......Drag it around with a Bayou 220 4 wheeler......
Posted By: jrgocards

Re: home made drags - 09/11/15 03:59 PM

Plan on using ratchet ties to bind 5 tires together this weekend. Fortunately we have sand and no rocks.

JR

Re: home made drags - 09/11/15 05:49 PM

Originally Posted By: jrgocards
Plan on using ratchet ties to bind 5 tires together this weekend. Fortunately we have sand and no rocks.

JR

I used barbed wire for mine, that was in 05 and it is like the day I wired it together. Straps may be a PITA
Posted By: jrgocards

Re: home made drags - 09/11/15 05:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Western

JR

I used barbed wire for mine, that was in 05 and it is like the day I wired it together. Straps may be a PITA

Barbed wire can be a pain too.

JR

Re: home made drags - 09/11/15 06:05 PM

JR

JR

Tires haven't complained once...

Re: home made drags - 09/11/15 06:05 PM

JR

JR

I use one long piece of tow chain and loop it thru all the tires.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum