Texas Hunting Forum

Protein Feeder Density?

Posted By: TxAg

Protein Feeder Density? - 09/01/15 09:42 PM

Alright fellas, what's your opinion on the optimum density for large free-choice protein feeders?

How far do you think deer will travel to access protein?

Another way to look at the question: how many deer should you try to support from each protein feeder? How many mature bucks can each support?
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Protein Feeder Density? - 09/01/15 09:48 PM

I prefer a feeder for every 7-10 deer no matter what size. 2 to 3 smaller to medium feeders per location is much better than one large one trying to draw deer from a greater distances.
Posted By: John Humbert

Re: Protein Feeder Density? - 09/01/15 09:48 PM

1. They will come a LONG way for a protein feeder. More than a mile.

2. With free-choice, it's more a matter of how often you want to keep filling it. I've seen a single 1000lb protein feeder support more than 60 deer (at a breeder), but it had to be topped off almost every other day.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Protein Feeder Density? - 09/02/15 12:34 AM

I can't answer your question, but I can tell you what our set-up is. 8 free choice feeders on 3200 acres on our first season. I don't think it's near enough and we plan to at least double the protein sites next year and possibly do the cotton seed thing.

The last group fed 8,000 to 10,000 pounds a month cyclo and I assure you we'll never have the extra cash to do that. I myself will implement 2 timed trough feeders next year that will drop at different times after dark. It isn't ideal driving 6 hours once a month to fill feeders IMO.
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Protein Feeder Density? - 09/02/15 01:38 PM

Thanks guys. We ran one smaller feeder per ~200 acres on the old place. But, the new place is considerably larger so I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to invest in a few large-capacity (2K lb) feeders or build more medium (~600 lb) feeders. Leaning towards the greater coverage model now.

John, I hear ya and I recall what motivated you to go with the timed unit. Our deer don't hit it quite that hard. Average consumption was usually ~100lb per week per feeder before.

Titan-10K lbs a month!! Man, I couldn't swing that either. That's crazy.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Protein Feeder Density? - 09/02/15 01:57 PM

We have 320 acres, mile long 1/2 mile wide. A 300 lb free choice centered in each quadrant and a 3k lb free choice in the middle of the property. In sever conditions deer will travel from a long ways to get to our feed/water, way past our property lines. In average conditions if we only fill the 3k central feeder not near as many deer come to it as to all of them running.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum