Another age estimate.

Posted By: John Humbert

Another age estimate. - 08/30/15 11:04 PM

Pic from mid-July.

Posted By: tlk

Re: Another age estimate. - 08/31/15 12:25 AM

Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Another age estimate. - 08/31/15 01:12 AM

I would go with older middle age, around 4.5-5.5 yo, he isn't ancient but isn't young either.
Posted By: JCB

Re: Another age estimate. - 08/31/15 01:31 AM

Could be the way he is standing but he looks 5+ to me.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Another age estimate. - 08/31/15 02:29 AM

Looks like a really fat 3 yr old to me, possibly 4.
Posted By: Kactuskiller

Re: Another age estimate. - 09/01/15 01:00 PM

That "pose" makes his torso look really short but I would say 5.5. I have one similar we have been debating. Some have said 4.5 others have said 6.5 plus possibly post mature. Just depends on the particular pic. I'm gonna wait til I see him in person to determine(if I actually see him).

Some bucks you either need video or see in person to see their manerisms and how they react with other deer to try and determine age classification when you don't have history with them.

Another thought I will add is I have definitely had to re-adjust my aging scale in our area. All of our Coke co deer tend to be a year older than they appear on the hoof compared to other parts of the state I have hunted. Not sure what it is.
Posted By: Kenny Powers

Re: Another age estimate. - 09/01/15 01:28 PM

Wow first Covert pic fooled me.The hind quarters look small compared to rest of him. Second shows aged buck for sure. You sure that aint his daddy? lol
Posted By: rickym

Re: Another age estimate. - 09/01/15 01:38 PM

I say he's a 5
Posted By: REALKILLER

Re: Another age estimate. - 09/01/15 02:03 PM

He has been eatin good. He has a lot of body mass. This time of year is always harder for me to age older bucks, because theyre necks haven't bulked up yet. Kinda helps when you see that big ol 24 in neck and bulked up shoulders. Next month is always a better month to age them. Id say he is at least 5. Looks like he has a lot of body fat but his back is still straight. They start getting a little swag in the back around 7.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum