Texas Hunting Forum

Educated Opinions Needed please

Posted By: Deerhunter61

Educated Opinions Needed please - 08/25/15 05:59 PM

Guys,

Here are a couple of pics of the same little buck. I'd like to know age, score and potential please.

He's a main frame 10 with split brow tines.

Thanks,

Mel
Posted By: rattler03

Re: Educated Opinions Needed please - 08/25/15 06:02 PM

that deer looks young, probably 2.5. He's got the potential to be a real stud in a few years.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Educated Opinions Needed please - 08/25/15 06:16 PM

looks at least 3 to me. More/better pictures will help get you a better answer if you have them.
Posted By: Captain Luke

Re: Educated Opinions Needed please - 08/25/15 06:22 PM

I'd say 2.5

Re: Educated Opinions Needed please - 08/25/15 06:25 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
looks at least 3 to me. More/better pictures will help get you a better answer if you have them.

Those are all I have...my guess was that it's 115-120 2 1/2 years. Potentially 140, maybe during a great year, 5 yrs+ 150.

Thoughts? Am I crazy?
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Educated Opinions Needed please - 08/25/15 06:26 PM

Score: not much now.
Potential: high
Posted By: BowMan59

Re: Educated Opinions Needed please - 08/25/15 06:26 PM

Posted By: redchevy

Re: Educated Opinions Needed please - 08/25/15 06:30 PM

That deer in the top pic behind the feed pen/small mesquite doesn't resemble a 2.5 yo to me.
Posted By: rattler03

Re: Educated Opinions Needed please - 08/25/15 06:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Deerhunter61
Originally Posted By: redchevy

Those are all I have...my guess was that it's 115-120 2 1/2 years. Potentially 140, maybe during a great year, 5 yrs+ 150.

Thoughts? Am I crazy?

Where is this property? I don't think that deer scores quite that high this year, but I'd agree that he could potentially exceed 140" if he is in fact a 2.5 years old in these photos. In another month it'll be a lot easier to age deer after they lose their velvet and start getting beefed up for the rut. That's when you'll be able to nail down his age with more certainty, as a 2.5 and a 3.5 year old buck are usually going to be fairly easy to tell apart.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Educated Opinions Needed please - 08/25/15 10:41 PM

I think he is between 100-110 at best for score. He is 3yr old to me. At this age he does not have much tine length but if he is younger than 3 then he could make a good jump in the future.
Posted By: don k

Re: Educated Opinions Needed please - 08/25/15 11:13 PM

How old is the Chupa in the pen in the first picture?
Posted By: spibiggie

Re: Educated Opinions Needed please - 08/26/15 08:43 PM

Originally Posted By: don k
How old is the Chupa in the pen in the first picture?

Mature coon...take him this year, he's ready.
Posted By: OneShotSam

Re: Educated Opinions Needed please - 08/26/15 10:05 PM

3 yo depending on area and genetics potential size may grow to mid 140's would be my best guess
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Educated Opinions Needed please - 08/27/15 01:48 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I think he is between 100-110 at best for score. He is 3yr old to me. At this age he does not have much tine length but if he is younger than 3 then he could make a good jump in the future.

That's funny. I've been fortunate to hunt with stx a few times. Learned a ton with each trip. We typically see deer pretty much the same. I've got him at 3 and 111" with velvet. Knock 2.5% off that for hard antler. By no means do I know a fraction of what stx has forgotten.

But it's reassuring to know some of his lessons endure. And will possibly, forever. cowboy

Re: Educated Opinions Needed please - 08/28/15 11:18 AM

Thanks guys! The reason I ask is because we really don't have and rules/standards as far as what to shoot or what to let walk so I was wanting to get the info to share with the other guys as to the age of the buck and the potential if we pass on shooting this one this year.
Posted By: Red Cloud

Re: Educated Opinions Needed please - 08/30/15 06:46 PM

I agree 2.5 yrs. He will finish out pretty nice and may tempt someone. IF NECESSARY I would be damn firm with the other hunters to let him pass for two more yrs. Nice deer!
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Educated Opinions Needed please - 08/31/15 01:28 PM

It would be a shame for someone to take that young buck this coming season. He has good potential. Unfortunately though, some people see 'horns' and shoot. Years ago I had a jeep load of customers on a hunt in S Tx, and I made it clear that only 8 points and above were to be taken. I put them all on stands and later heard a few shots from one stand. Later, when I went to pick that guy up, he had shot a little 4 point a couple of times. The guy was vibrating like a tuning fork and could hardly talk. He had no clue about how many points the little buck had. I couldn't bring myself to fuss at him.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum