Texas Hunting Forum

Avg distance archery shot deer will run?

Posted By: spoon33

Avg distance archery shot deer will run? - 08/25/15 03:18 PM

Have a friend with 2.5 acres in a small neighborhood that have deer eating her garden and she wants them gone. Since this is in city limits, it would be archery only and I was just curious if you hit a deer good, how far on average do they "usually" run. I understand if it's a poor shot there is no telling, but if you hit them good how far?

My friend doesn't know their neighbors very well yet, so I am trying to avoid having to meet them for her by dragging a deer out of their yard.
Posted By: dogdown23

Re: Avg distance archery shot deer will run? - 08/25/15 03:22 PM

Good shot placement, 40 to 200 yards.
Posted By: sqiggy

Re: Avg distance archery shot deer will run? - 08/25/15 03:26 PM

More than likely, it would be off that 2 1/2 acres.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Avg distance archery shot deer will run? - 08/25/15 03:28 PM

Ive only bagged four or five critters with my bow, but the only one to break 40 yards was a 185 lb boar and he didn't break 40 by much.

Re: Avg distance archery shot deer will run? - 08/25/15 03:29 PM

May want to check subdivision/deed restrictions and city ordinances before you go about this. Shooting a few isn't going to make them go away.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Avg distance archery shot deer will run? - 08/25/15 03:30 PM

This should be fun. Not really.

Unless I'm mistaken, you cannot bow hunt in the city limits unless the tract is 10 acres or more, not within 150 feet of another structure and your projectile will not cross a boundary/property line.

You'd be well advised to contact the local Game Warden and save yourself some embarrassment, time and money.

Re: Avg distance archery shot deer will run? - 08/25/15 03:30 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Ive only bagged four or five critters with my bow, but the only one to break 40 yards was a 185 lb boar and he didn't break 40 by much.

Then you sir are , BY FAR, a rare exception to the rule.
Posted By: spro

Re: Avg distance archery shot deer will run? - 08/25/15 03:33 PM

Agree with above. Even with a perfect placed heart shot the deer will more often than not run off the property.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Avg distance archery shot deer will run? - 08/25/15 03:35 PM

If ya haven't already and you don't already have an answer, call the local police to make sure it's legal to shoot a bow on that property. Lots of city ordinances against it in some places.
Posted By: rattler03

Re: Avg distance archery shot deer will run? - 08/25/15 03:40 PM

You never know how far a deer is going to run before expiring after you put an arrow through them. I double lunged a mature buck a few years ago and he still managed to go over 400 yards before piling up. It was like he was dead but didn't know it yet and just kept running because he was running down a muddy 2 rut ranch road and his tracks weaved all over the place and ran right through a lot of brush. I've made worse shots on other deer that expired within 50 to 100 yards. You never know, but I can just about promise you that if you shoot more than one or two deer on this small 2.5 acre lot at least one of them die on a neighboring property.

You might want to talk to the neighbors about your plan to hunt deer because if they are eating your friends plants they are going to be eating the neighbor's plants too. My Dad hunts on the back of his 4 acre hill country lot (in the county not the city) and the neighbors all appreciate it because everyone in the neighborhood hates how difficult the deer make any type of gardening effort. So, they very well may support the idea of someone taking a few deer out of the herd.

Re: Avg distance archery shot deer will run? - 08/25/15 03:43 PM

Originally Posted By: spro
Agree with above. Even with a perfect placed heart shot the deer will more often than not run off the property.

Especially 2.5 acres. If it were perfectly square that acreage would measure 330 feet per side. If the OP arrowed a deer in the dead center of that property, it only need run 50 yards to be off the property. I'd be willing to bet that most bow hunters deer run more than 50 yards after the shot. "Most" being more than 50%.
Posted By: spoon33

Re: Avg distance archery shot deer will run? - 08/25/15 03:48 PM

Thanks for info so far guys. I left a voicemail with the game warden. This is in Oklahoma, and I read the city ordinances and could only find info about discharging firearms, and not bow and arrow. Hopefully it'll be ok, and I'll get lucky with the deer running into the timber where it won't be as visible to everyone.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Avg distance archery shot deer will run? - 08/25/15 03:49 PM

last three I shot ran less than 30yrds.. more than a few of my stands are within 40yrds from a property line. Hit them right use good Brodhead's... give me her number if yall decide not to
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Avg distance archery shot deer will run? - 08/25/15 03:49 PM

Originally Posted By: spoon33
Thanks for info so far guys. I left a voicemail with the game warden. This is in Oklahoma, and I read the city ordinances and could only find info about discharging firearms, and not bow and arrow. Hopefully it'll be ok, and I'll get lucky with the deer running into the timber where it won't be as visible to everyone.

YOU DID WHAT
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Avg distance archery shot deer will run? - 08/25/15 03:54 PM

Last year I hit a doe square in the heart, she laid down right there under the feeder. She had a broad-head X right through the heart.
Then the next week another doe, same thing X right through the heart. She made at least 200 yards with no blood trail before she laid down.
So do not count on a heart shot bringing a deer down right there. They will normally run enough to clear 2 1/2 acres with no problem.
Note, This was with a crossbow.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Avg distance archery shot deer will run? - 08/25/15 03:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot

YOU DID WHAT

happy3

Re: Avg distance archery shot deer will run? - 08/25/15 03:58 PM

roflmao
Posted By: Matpk

Re: Avg distance archery shot deer will run? - 08/25/15 06:29 PM

clap roflmao clap
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Avg distance archery shot deer will run? - 08/25/15 07:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot

YOU DID WHAT

rofl
Posted By: TiggerV

Re: Avg distance archery shot deer will run? - 08/25/15 08:49 PM

All the ones I shoot at run a long LONG ways.....

Of course, maybe I should stop shooting AT them and try actually hitting them from time to time

drink7
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum