Texas Hunting Forum

Do you mow/weedeat your feeder pens?

Posted By: pegasaurus

Do you mow/weedeat your feeder pens? - 08/25/15 01:02 AM

Or do you just let it grow wild and let the deer beat it down where the corn falls??

I typically clear out the grass every year but might not have time to get that done this year.
And we do not have pigs so it is just the deer, turkeys and the other corn grubbing critters.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Do you mow/weedeat your feeder pens? - 08/25/15 01:10 AM

We used to just walk around and kick the tall thicker stuff down or cut it with a knife or machete if it wasn't being trampled already
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Do you mow/weedeat your feeder pens? - 08/25/15 01:16 AM

Yes every year I shred with the tractor/mower.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Do you mow/weedeat your feeder pens? - 08/25/15 01:21 AM

The deer activity has done a great job in beating the weeds down inside and outside the pen.

Posted By: aeb

Re: Do you mow/weedeat your feeder pens? - 08/25/15 01:25 AM

Answered my question that it is ok because my protein feeder pens are very high in weeds this year. I worry about snakes when I pull camera cards. Feed on the ground attracts mice/rats which attract rattlesnakes. Not good!
Posted By: yeti2009

Re: Do you mow/weedeat your feeder pens? - 08/25/15 01:27 AM

I used to weed whack my pens because the weeds would set the cameras off. Nobody likes looking at 1,000 pictures of grass moving.
Posted By: Texasrebel649

Re: Do you mow/weedeat your feeder pens? - 08/25/15 01:59 AM

If Im just setting the feeder for the first time, I generally will weed eat/mow it. After that I let the deer keep it trampled down.
Posted By: MathMan

Re: Do you mow/weedeat your feeder pens? - 08/25/15 02:00 AM

I weedeat the pens and then spray eraser. Now it's bare dirt with deer activity. I use a machete on the small brush.

It's not needed to cut the grass. The deer will find the corn and get rid of the grass over time.
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Do you mow/weedeat your feeder pens? - 08/25/15 02:20 AM

I don't use pens but I also don't mow around the feeders. Our lease is bow only and the taller grass can make for great cover to draw while there head is down.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Do you mow/weedeat your feeder pens? - 08/25/15 02:26 AM

I had cows bust through my panels. They keep the grass pretty low but it cost me a feeder. I do not recommend that method.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Do you mow/weedeat your feeder pens? - 08/25/15 02:51 AM

Had to knock some weeds down this spring. They grew too well with the rain we had.
Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: Do you mow/weedeat your feeder pens? - 08/25/15 03:20 AM

One pen I have been feeding all year and the other I just filled and it has a bit more grass in it.
Posted By: spro

Re: Do you mow/weedeat your feeder pens? - 08/25/15 02:37 PM

Yes, and deer were back at feeder 10 min. after I left.
Posted By: 7ARanch

Re: Do you mow/weedeat your feeder pens? - 08/25/15 03:04 PM

I had 700 pictures of blowing waist high weeds, so now it is cut down...
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Do you mow/weedeat your feeder pens? - 08/25/15 03:05 PM

both
Posted By: Western

Re: Do you mow/weedeat your feeder pens? - 08/25/15 04:26 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Yes every year I shred with the tractor/mower.

Same, I only get within a few feet and leave what I miss. When feed falls in the little bit of tall grass, they spend more time digging it out, which means longer at the feeder. I do see coons fiddling through the grass looking for scrapes as well, that is when I put out a couple of Dukes.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum