Texas Hunting Forum

What's the problem

Posted By: lonestar1995

What's the problem - 08/19/15 03:16 PM

Recently I have been noticing a lack of does on my camera. I have 3 mature shooter bucks coming in daily and a few little ones. But I have no doe coming at all. I don't think I have had a picture of a doe in 4 months or so. Do any of you have an idea why this is happening?
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: What's the problem - 08/19/15 03:19 PM

Bucks getting ready for the rut, dominating the food sources and leaving for to fend for themselves. Happens a lot and just the start of things to come. Doe will come back once bucks have Better things to do.
Posted By: lonestar1995

Re: What's the problem - 08/19/15 03:23 PM

That makes sense but I still think I should at least see a doe every once in a while?
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: What's the problem - 08/19/15 03:23 PM

on my land they're going nocturnal

cams catch them on trails but not at the usual feeder as often

i suspect they're foraging on natural vegetation ... in the months of september and october
most deer and hogs are rarely seen on cams

lots of rain this year, lots of food for them

does are still feeding , some with fawns , mostly early morning and late afternoon
Posted By: fouzman

Re: What's the problem - 08/19/15 03:27 PM

If you're low-fenced, the does may be residing on neighboring property while your bachelor group dominates the feeder. The does may also be intentionally keeping their fawns away from the feeders.
Posted By: driedmeat

Re: What's the problem - 08/19/15 04:01 PM

this is where feeding along the roads can help.
Posted By: spro

Re: What's the problem - 08/19/15 04:20 PM

My deer activity to the feeders has slowed a lot also. No worries, they will be back.
Posted By: BowMan59

Re: What's the problem - 08/19/15 04:31 PM

Tending to babies and being pushed off!
Posted By: rifleman

Re: What's the problem - 08/19/15 04:33 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
If you're low-fenced, the does may be residing on neighboring property while your bachelor group dominates the feeder. The does may also be intentionally keeping their fawns away from the feeders.

^^^ probably a combination of those 2.
Posted By: Western

Re: What's the problem - 08/19/15 04:39 PM

Originally Posted By: rifleman
Originally Posted By: fouzman

^^^ probably a combination of those 2.

X's 3. I don't think there is much aggression right now, I have bucks,does and fawns at the feeder.

The springs rains where great, but if you get out and look at your forbes, much is dry and past its prime.
Posted By: REALKILLER

Re: What's the problem - 08/19/15 05:01 PM

Tell ya a secret. They've got their babies hid out and haven't introduced them to the herd yet. Got to watch em like a hawk. Plenty of would be killers out there. up
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: What's the problem - 08/19/15 05:08 PM

As of yesterday I hAve 10 bucks and 2 doe on camera. Weird.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: What's the problem - 08/19/15 05:11 PM

When I got my cards from my cameras, I only had 1 doe on them even away from feeders and she had last year's buck fawn still with her..
Posted By: Navasot

Re: What's the problem - 08/19/15 05:23 PM

Been busy here

How far away from your feeder is a good water source?

Re: What's the problem - 08/19/15 06:10 PM

Nav, you build that feeder?

Re: What's the problem - 08/19/15 06:27 PM

No sir got it from TxAg off here. Been a good one cheers
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: What's the problem - 08/19/15 07:04 PM

Man I wish I could have a feeder without a pen, would allow those fawns to just sneak right in there. If I road fed or didn't fence my feeders in the cows would be all over them. Someday. Someday.

Re: What's the problem - 08/19/15 07:13 PM

I fed corn/soybean the other week and it has a slide on the bottom to help with the finer stuff...

Re: What's the problem - 08/19/15 07:14 PM

No cows on my place but have to deal with them everywere else... I just put up a small 3strand wire fence to keep um out

Re: What's the problem - 08/19/15 08:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
No sir got it from TxAg off here. Been a good one cheers

Thanks up
Posted By: aeb

Re: What's the problem - 08/19/15 08:42 PM

Originally Posted By: cabosandinh
on my land they're going nocturnal

A few does during the day. Most of the does and all of the bucks at night.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: What's the problem - 08/19/15 11:37 PM

Does cut their territory size way down when they have fawns and have plenty to eat. Not saying they won't hit a feeder if it is in their home territory.

Re: What's the problem - 08/21/15 02:59 PM

that doe stays in sight pretty much all day... shes been around for years too.. about 96.46765% positive that's those twin bucks mama
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum