Texas Hunting Forum

Wise County Expectations?

Posted By: HuntnFly67

Wise County Expectations? - 08/13/15 10:30 PM

Anybody willing to share intel on Wise County deer? I just got on a new place on the north edge of Decatur. PM me if you don't want to divulge to the world. I can't get cameras running for another week and really trying to manage expectations. I am going to hunt it regardless, but really curious whether or not it'll just be a bunch of sub-130" 8s.
Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Wise County Expectations? - 08/13/15 10:39 PM

I think you will be luck to see that, JMO.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Wise County Expectations? - 08/13/15 10:43 PM

A lot of Nocturnal Activity Andy, there are a few Dandy's ...but like Young County...Don't be surprised to find a few people walking around on Camera Amigo..

LOT of pressure ..

But good Luck Sir up
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Wise County Expectations? - 08/13/15 11:03 PM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
A lot of Nocturnal Activity Andy, there are a few Dandy's ...but like Young County...Don't be surprised to find a few people walking around on Camera Amigo..

LOT of pressure ..

But good Luck Sir up

Like RAB has said, some dandies in both Young and Wise counties but also lots of close in metromess hunting pressure. I haven't personally dealt with poaching that I'm aware of but do have some consistent trigger happy neighbors year in - year out. My advice to you would be to hunt it hard from about mid-Oct. until Thanksgiving. After that, I've found things to get very, very slow in daylight hours in those counties. Good luck to you.
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Wise County Expectations? - 08/13/15 11:48 PM

There are some pockets of really good deer around Decatur & in Wise county in general.

How'd Young county get drug into this, there's a whole nuther county between the two.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Wise County Expectations? - 08/13/15 11:58 PM

I wouldn't expect to see any drilling rigs. They're all sitting in a yard in Odessa.
Posted By: Western

Re: Wise County Expectations? - 08/14/15 12:38 AM

When I spoke to Penny (Wise Co GW) she said the Southern part of the county has the highest density of hunter, primarily due to small acreages. We have deer here, but they get shot at considerably. You may fir better there in the Mid county, but then your close to town too.

I would venture the size of lease you have, then what the neighbors around you are doing, IMO a 130 would be a nice buck here, unless you can afford to let it walk for next year ( See neighbors and lease size statement).

There has been some real nice bucks taken in the county too, so you never really know.
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Wise County Expectations? - 08/14/15 12:50 AM

Depending on where north of decatur there can be some studs. Close to the grasslands probably means less but the real good hunting can be found north and east.
Posted By: outdoorsmen54

Re: Wise County Expectations? - 08/14/15 01:27 AM

I'm about 5 miles south of Decatur. I'm on a smaller piece of land with houses on the south side of property, and large tracts of land on the three other sides. The deer here have increased in size over the last 3 years. They still aren't where I want them. The doe numbers is ridiculous. When I see a doe I see five to ten doe. And I see does every time in the stand. Several 3.5 year old bucks. We were about poached out until I moved back onto the property. Now I think I've got a good handle on that and the deer numbers show it.

Re: Wise County Expectations? - 08/14/15 02:19 AM

Thanks all! The place I just got access to is larger acreage with maybe four guns .... and FREE! I was honored, flattered, and grateful to get to be on this place. Just trying to figure out how much time, effort, and anticipation is worth putting in to it. I am very excited about having access to new ground.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Wise County Expectations? - 08/14/15 03:14 AM

Originally Posted By: HuntnFly67
Thanks all! The place I just got access to is larger acreage with maybe four guns .... and FREE! I was honored, flattered, and grateful to get to be on this place. Just trying to figure out how much time, effort, and anticipation is worth putting in to it. I am very excited about having access to new ground.

Hey drop me a pin and a gate code bolt

And will give you a full report Jan 3rd roflmao

Re: Wise County Expectations? - 08/14/15 03:21 AM

Since when do you need a gate code? No way you're getting a location, I saw these behind your backseat:
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Wise County Expectations? - 08/14/15 04:26 AM

Originally Posted By: HuntnFly67
Since when do you need a gate code? No way you're getting a location, I saw these behind your backseat:

Ah yes, the good ol' church key. Never met a gate it couldn't unlock.
Posted By: ckwZ7

Re: Wise County Expectations? - 08/14/15 04:40 PM

I hunt on over 1,000 acres north of Decatur near FM730. The past few years I've passed on several young bucks. I've taken off probably 5-6 does (between me and other hunters) each year the past few years to get the ratio back down to a good management standpoint and also shoot as many of the culls and management bucks each year that I get a chance at. This year I have some really good bucks on camera so far! Seems that passing on these younger bucks the past few years, feeding protein all year round for about 3 years now, and all this rain has really blown the deer up this year. I've got several 8's and 9's in the mid-high 130's and a couple 10's that are studs. All depends on the place and the management but this year is looking like it could be a good one.
Posted By: pyledriver

Re: Wise County Expectations? - 08/14/15 11:16 PM

The big uns are there! They just get a lot of pressure..
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Wise County Expectations? - 08/14/15 11:34 PM

Originally Posted By: ColbyW
I hunt on over 1,000 acres north of Decatur near FM730. The past few years I've passed on several young bucks. I've taken off probably 5-6 does (between me and other hunters) each year the past few years to get the ratio back down to a good management standpoint and also shoot as many of the culls and management bucks each year that I get a chance at. This year I have some really good bucks on camera so far! Seems that passing on these younger bucks the past few years, feeding protein all year round for about 3 years now, and all this rain has really blown the deer up this year. I've got several 8's and 9's in the mid-high 130's and a couple 10's that are studs. All depends on the place and the management but this year is looking like it could be a good one.

Have y'all been seeing many quail up there. I've seen quite a few up by the new gas plant off of 51.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum