Texas Hunting Forum

Corn feeder. Times?

Posted By: Bittercreek

Corn feeder. Times? - 08/13/15 02:56 AM

Asking this. From West. Tx. Sterling/Mitchell. County area.
What times are you folks. Setting and running your feeders. This,
time of year. Duration of broadcast.
Thank you. For any advice.
Posted By: rattler03

Re: Corn feeder. Times? - 08/13/15 03:15 AM

This time of year with the heat, I have mine throwing 30 minutes before first sunlight and 30 minutes after dark. I've found that if your feed times are later in the morning or earlier in the evening you end up mostly feeding does, young deer, varmints and birds because the older bucks just don't want to move much in this heat.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Corn feeder. Times? - 08/13/15 03:24 AM

I hunt near Brady where we feed year round. For Texas that's not too far.
Since I am there all of the time and can adjust the feeder times every few weeks. I set the feeder to about 15-20 minutes before sunrise year round.
The evenings this time of year when it is hot I throw about 30 minutes (or less) or so before sunset. Cooler weather an hour or so.
So now they are set at 6:45am and 7:45pm,(a few are still running at 8:00pm)
I set the feeders to throw a bag a week so I can keep up with refilling them at near empty easier. On some that is 3 seconds, other feeders 5 or 6 seconds. I'll speed that up a bit closer to season.
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Corn feeder. Times? - 08/13/15 10:32 AM

Got an wheat fields close to you? The deer in Mitchell/glasscock county camp out in wheat fields all day long. Counted 60 doe in a 100 acre patch last season at first light, came back around lunch and 38 were still there, over half of them were laying down in the wheat. They did this all season long unless it got hot then they headed for shade. They won't do that around my lease in Fisher county, yea they hit the wheat, but the field are usually empty by 8:30-9am.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum