Texas Hunting Forum

NEW LEASE,AGE OPINIONS

Posted By: buckbass

NEW LEASE,AGE OPINIONS - 08/12/15 07:09 PM

Recently got on new low fence lease, was told lease had produced deer in the mid 160 class avg deer taken is in the 140's.I was also told that a nearby ranch had turned loose some breeder bucks years back to improve there deer genetics. The lease members had seen a couple of these deer over the last couple years and 1 buck was actually harvested 2 years ago. I was also told the deer were not regulars that were seen on ranch. Well I set up cameras at my bow hunting location on ranch in within days I had several of these breeder bucks showing up on a regular basis. I am attaching photos of these deer to get an age opinion. I also would like opinions on letting these deer walk this year so as to improve ranch genetics on low fence ranch, or is the risk of your neighbor who does not practice same management guidelines to great to chance letting a mature deer go for another year. first 4 pics drop tine buck, last pics are of a 15-16 pointer that runs with him

Opinions please
Posted By: fouzman

Re: NEW LEASE,AGE OPINIONS - 08/12/15 07:19 PM

Mature. At least 5 if not 6 or 7. Both of them. How many offspring will one sire in one more year? What if he breeds a crummy doe? Trophy deer that are mature to post mature. Take your pick.
Posted By: therancher

Re: NEW LEASE,AGE OPINIONS - 08/12/15 07:50 PM

Doesn't matter to me how old they are. How big is the place, I can assure you that if they are exposed to other hunters, they'll find one who'll kill them.

Based on the fact that you have mostly native genetics, you'll never really see overall improvement based on genetics.

So the question is, do you want those deer to be on your wall or someone elses, without ever having the opportunity on that particular ranch to see a deer of that quality again?
Posted By: txshntr

Re: NEW LEASE,AGE OPINIONS - 08/12/15 08:02 PM

Originally Posted By: therancher
Doesn't matter to me how old they are. How big is the place, I can assure you that if they are exposed to other hunters, they'll find one who'll kill them.

Based on the fact that you have mostly native genetics, you'll never really see overall improvement based on genetics.

So the question is, do you want those deer to be on your wall or someone elses, without ever having the opportunity on that particular ranch to see a deer of that quality again?

I would agree with therancher. Introduction of a few breeder bucks isn't going to make much difference in the genetics of the overall herd. Even in HF conditions, the introduction of genetics required to make a significant impact is substantial. The native genetics will eventually win out, especially on a LF place.

Given the chance, I would take them.
Posted By: John Humbert

Re: NEW LEASE,AGE OPINIONS - 08/12/15 08:11 PM

The genetic effect would negligible. They are mature deer. I wouldn't hesitate a second if I saw one - in fact, I'd try to make it down during bow season. Consider yourself very, very lucky and get you one!
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: NEW LEASE,AGE OPINIONS - 08/12/15 09:26 PM

I wouldn't even think about letting either one of those deer walk if I saw them on a ranch I have permission to hunt deer on.
Posted By: tlk

Re: NEW LEASE,AGE OPINIONS - 08/12/15 10:06 PM

I agree the size of the place is a factor. But I am curious. If really good deer like this get to breed for one or two more years maybe it does not improve overall genetics but would it not have the potential of those bucks siring some more offspring of their quality? We have taken bucks off of our lease that are dead ringers for their daddy. So if the property is large enough that odds are against a neighbor killing the deer, would it not increase the chances of more top end bucks down the line to let them live and breed?

First two pictures below are of a buck we are now watching and think is out of the same bloodline as the bottom deer.

And by the way to the OP, awesome deer and looks like you got on a place with much potential -
Posted By: fouzman

Re: NEW LEASE,AGE OPINIONS - 08/12/15 10:34 PM

At home now where I can see these photos in more detail. Drops is 7-8 and the double row typical looks at least 6, to me.

As to tlk's question. I've seen your photos. You guys know mature deer. The OP said these bucks don't hang around much. I imagine they spend most of their time in the fringe areas just outside their home turf. I agree with letting them die of old age if there were enough acreage and a co-op. That doesn't sound like the case.

OP, those photos were a month ago. Would love to see them now! Pick your favorite and go after him. Both deer are OLD!

Re: NEW LEASE,AGE OPINIONS - 08/12/15 10:44 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
At home now where I can see these photos in more detail. Drops is 7-8 and the double row typical looks at least 6, to me.

As to tlk's question. I've seen your photos. You guys know mature deer. The OP said these bucks don't hang around much. I imagine they spend most of their time in the fringe areas just outside their home turf. I agree with letting them die of old age if there were enough acreage and a co-op. That doesn't sound like the case.

OP, those photos were a month ago. Would love to see them now! Pick your favorite and go after him. Both deer are OLD!

Yes - you are right - it is all relative. If it is a small acreage place and chances are slim to ever see these bucks again then by all means shoot them. We are in a unusual situation where we have enough property that we get little pressure from outside sources.
Posted By: Auctioneer1

Re: NEW LEASE,AGE OPINIONS - 08/13/15 02:48 AM

If your place is big enough put a protein feeder in the middle of it far away from the fence line trust me it helps keep deer on your place. Do not hunt that feeder at all just fill it and leave don't put a stand going to it as well just let them eat and bed down close. Those deer are mature and I would let them breed every doe they could find good luck.
Posted By: basspromaster

Re: NEW LEASE,AGE OPINIONS - 08/13/15 08:56 AM

Absolutely incredible looking bucks!! Both are mature big bodied deer that I wouldn't hesitate to shoot. I agree with the rest of the guys here that since you are on a low fence and because they are at the peak of their maturity for antler growth go ahead and take the buck of a lifetime.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: NEW LEASE,AGE OPINIONS - 08/13/15 11:09 AM

Those are two dream bucks fully mature. I wouldn't give it a second to think about pulling the string or trigger.

Good luck this season. up
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: NEW LEASE,AGE OPINIONS - 08/13/15 11:30 AM

Both great bucks cheers

Don't let opportunity pass you by with either rifle

And welcome to the forum

Re: NEW LEASE,AGE OPINIONS - 08/13/15 01:11 PM

I appreciate the input and opinions. I also wanted to add that I lease 2000 of 12000 acre lease,and these deer will definatly be exposed to other hunters during rut for sure.The buck doe ratio is out of wack. Typically you will see 4 to 1 ratio.The ranch has put does off limits for the last 2 years and I believe ratio will be more in the neighborhood of 3 to 1 which will mean these buck will move greater distances to take care of business.I believe this will cause them to be more exposed to other hunters.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: NEW LEASE,AGE OPINIONS - 08/13/15 01:31 PM

How'd you/ya'll come up with the ratios? Trying to decide which method to use on our new place to estimate ratios.

Re: NEW LEASE,AGE OPINIONS - 08/13/15 10:25 PM

Originally Posted By: buckbass
I appreciate the input and opinions. I also wanted to add that I lease 2000 of 12000 acre lease,and these deer will definatly be exposed to other hunters during rut for sure.The buck doe ratio is out of wack. Typically you will see 4 to 1 ratio.The ranch has put does off limits for the last 2 years and I believe ratio will be more in the neighborhood of 3 to 1 which will mean these buck will move greater distances to take care of business.I believe this will cause them to be more exposed to other hunters.

Is the whole 12,000 acres on management? That is plenty of acres to manage the herd as long as all the groups are on board
Posted By: therancher

Re: NEW LEASE,AGE OPINIONS - 08/13/15 10:46 PM

Kill them in October. Period

Re: NEW LEASE,AGE OPINIONS - 08/13/15 11:00 PM

Kill them in October. Period

Not arguing - just asking. If those two bucks are 5 years old and can sire several other bucks this year that could reach or surpass their Daddy's size, and the property is large enough to feel fairly certain nobody else will shoot them, why would you not let them walk?

Re: NEW LEASE,AGE OPINIONS - 08/14/15 12:00 AM

The ranch is divided into roughly 2000 acre pastures,and different groups which lease these pastures are supposed to abide by ranch management policy which unfortunately the only requirement on bucks is 4 years min {I would prefer they bump it to 6 years so when mistakes are made at least the trophy deer would make 5 years},with the exception of true culls generally determined and agreed upon by hunting group. With this being my first year on this pasture I pretty much do not know what to expect from the other groups as far as management.The good news is that these bucks characteristics have been seen on some younger bucks on camera.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: NEW LEASE,AGE OPINIONS - 08/14/15 01:09 PM

The ranch is divided into roughly 2000 acre pastures,and different groups which lease these pastures are supposed to abide by ranch management policy which unfortunately the only requirement on bucks is 4 years min {I would prefer they bump it to 6 years so when mistakes are made at least the trophy deer would make 5 years},with the exception of true culls generally determined and agreed upon by hunting group. With this being my first year on this pasture I pretty much do not know what to expect from the other groups as far as management.The good news is that these bucks characteristics have been seen on some younger bucks on camera.

If the only requirement on bucks is 4 years minimum you can kiss those deer goodbye if they step out in front of the other hunters.
Bumping it to 6 years will make no difference at all since most hunters have a hard time trying to judge the difference between a 3 1/2 and a 4 1/2 and that is when you usually see the biggest jump in antler growth.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum