Texas Hunting Forum

Using deer food attractant?

Posted By: Doylesmule

Using deer food attractant? - 08/08/15 03:15 AM

I have made some deer attractant by using a fermenting process. I have found that the deer really love it. I have never used attractants before and was wondering how often and how much I should use? I don't want to overdo it or not do enough. Any suggestions?

Re: Using deer food attractant? - 08/09/15 12:55 AM

I may be over analyzing it... But I began putting it out about 2 times a week. At first I had several deer coming in, but then other critters joined them and it seems there are less deer. I am new to the use of attractants, so any suggestions would be appreciated.
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Using deer food attractant? - 08/09/15 01:21 AM

2 words. ..power. corn. If you're not first you're last.
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Using deer food attractant? - 08/09/15 02:42 PM

What is power corn?
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Using deer food attractant? - 08/12/15 10:39 AM

If you are fermenting corn that is not good for deer. If you have hogs around you, they will love it.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Using deer food attractant? - 08/12/15 11:43 PM

Suggestion: post your concoction on here so others can try it. Only real way to see if it actually works...
More than likely the more it soured the less deer cared for it and the other critters especially hogs love it.
How to attract deer: plain corn, water, oak trees nearby

Re: Using deer food attractant? - 08/14/15 03:44 AM

I think the idea expressed about "power corn" is just putting out lots of corn and getting it out early. "Power" in that you buy it by the ton instead of by the bag... What I am making has very little corn in it, and it is not soured.

What I have concocted, is more an attractant where very little is used. I have mixed my ingredients with water and molasses, and good micro-organisms and allowed it to "brew" or ferment for several weeks. (a fermenting process used in other countries that is kinda like pickling) Once it is done brewing, I dry it out and the microbes go into a dormant state. They are reactivated when they get moist. (in the mouth of the deer) The finished product stays good as long as it stays dry.

As I experiment in using it, I was wondering what others might know about using attractants. I am getting some ideas from those fancy bags of attractant from Walmart, but I thought I would see what anyone here might suggest. Thanks for any ideas...
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum