Texas Hunting Forum

Small food plot advice needed

Posted By: whitewing maniac

Small food plot advice needed - 07/31/15 05:26 PM

Won't have access to tractor or tiller, just rake, shovel and hoe. Probably be around 20'×20' give or take. Is clover about the best for piney woods area? Will only have sun in this area for maybe 4-5 hours a day. What's my best bet for a throw and go seed? Should a fertilizer be used as well? Thanks for any advice.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Small food plot advice needed - 07/31/15 05:31 PM

Don't go through the trouble with hand tools in shaded areas... wait till it rains then broadcast it heavy. Hopefully youll get another light rain soon behind it.. rye will do best in that type of situation. I broadcast oats under a lot of big oak trees that get just enough light... works well. If you can mow the spot it would help but hit it at the right time and it shouldn't matter

Re: Small food plot advice needed - 07/31/15 05:40 PM

Going to lease on Sunday morning to get feeder going, hang new trail cam and ladder stand. Figure while I'm out there might as well get a small plot going as well. Probably won't get back to the area til late September. I'm planning on taking weedeater out there and knocking what weeds are there down to the dirt. Main thing in area I hunt is a buttload of pine needles, so rake is definitely a must.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Small food plot advice needed - 07/31/15 05:43 PM

you got an atv or anything?
Posted By: Western

Re: Small food plot advice needed - 07/31/15 06:07 PM

That small, I'd save my money and forgo it, one deer will graze it out before it gets 2" tall. Only save you about $25 and some labor, but still....

Re: Small food plot advice needed - 07/31/15 06:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
you got an atv or anything?

Nope
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Small food plot advice needed - 07/31/15 06:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Western
That small, I'd save my money and forgo it, one deer will graze it out before it gets 2" tall. Only save you about $25 and some labor, but still....

This if you have more than one deer. I would just invest in more corn or another feeder or run my current feeder longer/more times than normal.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Small food plot advice needed - 07/31/15 06:54 PM

Make it bigger, if you have a road leading to your blind or feeder plant on or down the sides of it. Plant on your shooting lanes. Then clover, rye and mix in a few oats and turnips.

Re: Small food plot advice needed - 07/31/15 07:39 PM

Bout an 1/8 acre is big as I can go. Heavily wooded and thick underbrush everywhere else. Can't cut down trees on this lease
Posted By: rickym

Re: Small food plot advice needed - 07/31/15 09:36 PM

I would wait til next spring and then early in the year work real hard at cleaning up the soil and killing all weeds. Then plant clover and rye really heavy and mix in some oats and turnips. Should probably spread a bag of lime across the whole thing once you've got it all torn up, then 13-13-13 fertilizer I believe

Also create a mineral site as well
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum