Texas Hunting Forum

Place your bets Volume 3

Posted By: rifleman

Place your bets Volume 3 - 07/31/15 04:07 PM

He added a little to everything from '13 to '14, but that leg throws a kink in things. Will he put on more tine length, sprout something, be funky horned from the injury (if you look close, both legs are hit), get wider? What do you think?

Posted By: txshntr

Re: Place your bets Volume 3 - 07/31/15 04:11 PM

Little bit of mass, same width and some tine length. No kickers unless they come off the base grin
Posted By: rickym

Re: Place your bets Volume 3 - 07/31/15 05:17 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
Little bit of mass, same width and some tine length. No kickers unless they come off the base grin

I agree with this but I think it'll put on a good bit of mass

Re: Place your bets Volume 3 - 07/31/15 05:18 PM

So, don't think the leg will be an issue?
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Place your bets Volume 3 - 07/31/15 05:33 PM

Leg is a long way from the heart. I have seen some bucks with injuries make huge jumps the next year. IMO it is from them not being aggressive in the rut to much due to the injury and they now concentrate more on eating.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Place your bets Volume 3 - 07/31/15 05:41 PM

I think he has an eating disorder

Re: Place your bets Volume 3 - 07/31/15 06:01 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Leg is a long way from the heart. I have seen some bucks with injuries make huge jumps the next year. IMO it is from them not being aggressive in the rut to much due to the injury and they now concentrate more on eating.

Got a problem there, this buck still thought he ruled the roost as he hobbled along.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Place your bets Volume 3 - 07/31/15 07:48 PM

I don't think the legs are an issue, he appears to be moving well with it in the pictures. I agree on tine length and some mass. Looking at the pictures I'd say he's definitely 4.5 and probably 5.5 this year, so imo rifle
Posted By: Kactuskiller

Re: Place your bets Volume 3 - 07/31/15 09:38 PM

I wouldnt be so worried about the injury as his overall health going into the winter. Unless he had an abundance of high energy/fat feed sources available I would worry if he would make much improvement. Most of his early spring forage probably went to putting body weight back on so he probably got a little later start than normal compared to bucks that came thru the season healthier. That buck is skin and bones. I also wouln't be suprised if he was 3.5 last yr. 3.5-4.5 typically run the hardest after the ladies and get run down.

As far as improvements, if he comes back strong I would think mass and tine length to be the most improved. If that infection in the right leg gets worse then he could have some abnormality in his left antler.

Be interested to see.
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Place your bets Volume 3 - 08/01/15 05:19 PM

I think you need to aim a little higher and a little further back this year. rifle
Posted By: Greytshot

Re: Place your bets Volume 3 - 08/02/15 05:03 AM

I think he will make excellent sausage.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum