Texas Hunting Forum

Ladder stand

Posted By: whitewing maniac

Ladder stand - 07/27/15 08:10 PM

Gonna break down and get myself a ladder stand this week. Been hunting a ground blind, been looking at the summit classic deluxe 1.5 man stand at academy. Anyone here use one of these? It has good reviews from the few that have posted reviews. I don't know how tall it is either, did not see a height in the description of this stand, though I have only looked at the academy description.
Whoever uses this stand, do you like it,anything you would do to modify it? Thanks?
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Ladder stand - 07/27/15 08:26 PM

Ladder stand are great, there are some that can be put up by one person and others that reguire two, usally the instructions will tell you. The bigger ones that require two people tend to be more comfortable, but if the intent is to set up in the morning and take down in the evening, then the ones with single person setup are better.

Re: Ladder stand - 07/27/15 08:31 PM

Already have my mind pretty much set on this one. Will take 2 to put it up, no tote out until end of season. Put together with nuts and bolts. More than likely just take all padding off every time I leave lease.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Ladder stand - 07/27/15 08:37 PM

I have a 2 man stand an it's 15' high. It's a pretty good stand.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Ladder stand - 07/27/15 08:53 PM

I don't have that particular stand but I do like ladder stands and have a bit of advice, take it or leave it for what it's worth. It'll probably come with a canvas strap to snug it up to the tree. Replace that with a length of "swing-set" chain, a couple "S" hooks, and a small binder. I leave mine up year 'round and either mice or squirrels chewed through that canvas strap the first season it was up. Fortunately a buddy advised me to always get a visual on that strap before climbing into the stand or it likely would have fallen on me while halfway up the ladder.
Posted By: Stratgolfer

Re: Ladder stand - 07/27/15 08:58 PM

I think I just got and set up the stand you are talking about. it was $100 at academy. it does take two people to put up. I'll have to take a pic next time I go up. it was more sturdy than I was, I got up there and realized that 15 feet up is a loooong way up a tree. It says two people, seat but you better be real friendly with that other person. You'll be able to set your pack down next to ya.
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Ladder stand - 07/28/15 01:55 AM

I need one of these myself. I'd like to see which ones ya'll recommend. Only thing is I'm going to set mine up maybe 10 feet high max.
Posted By: Stratgolfer

Re: Ladder stand - 07/28/15 03:30 AM

Blazin on the one I got you could leave out a section of the ladder which would drop it a couple of feet maybe 3

Re: Ladder stand - 07/28/15 02:50 PM

Well I scored big last night at academy. Got the stand, #240 of corn, New feeder battery, case of 20ga shells for dove season, new crocs and a stealth cam. Early birthday present, wife feeling really generous. banana
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Ladder stand - 07/28/15 05:02 PM

Sweet. up
Posted By: rickym

Re: Ladder stand - 07/28/15 09:56 PM

Nice...Homer.
Posted By: Doylesmule

Re: Ladder stand - 07/28/15 10:29 PM

That's much better than my first tree stand. 2x4 in the fork of a tree and nails to climb up with. You'll enjoy!

Re: Ladder stand - 07/28/15 11:20 PM

Originally Posted By: rickym
Nice...Homer.

Duff beer coozie, got it cheers

Re: Ladder stand - 07/28/15 11:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Slow Drifter
I don't have that particular stand but I do like ladder stands and have a bit of advice, take it or leave it for what it's worth. It'll probably come with a canvas strap to snug it up to the tree. Replace that with a length of "swing-set" chain, a couple "S" hooks, and a small binder. I leave mine up year 'round and either mice or squirrels chewed through that canvas strap the first season it was up. Fortunately a buddy advised me to always get a visual on that strap before climbing into the stand or it likely would have fallen on me while halfway up the ladder.

Thanks on that advise SD, I will take that bit of advise to heart.
Posted By: 7ARanch

Re: Ladder stand - 07/29/15 03:16 PM

If you're bowhunting from it I suggest you practice if you're not used to shooting from 15'. Rifle hunting not a big deal. Congrats on the Academy score and Happy Birthday too!

Re: Ladder stand - 07/29/15 06:22 PM

Thanks 7A
Posted By: DeadRooster

Re: Ladder stand - 07/30/15 05:45 PM

Just ordered this 18' 2-man Ladder Tree Stand from Amazon for $99. Needed something with at least 500# weight limit. Hoping this does the trick. If I can get 3-4 seasons out of it, I'll be more than happy.
Posted By: foodieguy

Re: Ladder stand - 08/02/15 06:10 PM

I just bought the summit 1.5 too, mainly because it has the biggest platform of any ladder stand that i could find.

I also recommend the lifeline type safety ropes with the prussik knot and of course the harness. Falling from one of these can kill you, be safe.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum