Texas Hunting Forum

Panhandle - Crimson or other variety of clover to try for fall plot?

Posted By: Herron

Panhandle - Crimson or other variety of clover to try for fall plot? - 07/16/15 03:36 PM

Was thinking about adding clover to the mix on my small plot for its nitrogen fixing benefits as well as cold tolerance. The hunting area is NE Panhandle (south of Canadian) and, so far, the area has been getting good rains (for that area). Soil is sandy and high Ph. Deer density is very low on our place though AWP's will still get wiped out fairly quickly.

The clover will be planted alongside oats and/or wheat/rye.
Posted By: red bluff

Re: Panhandle - Crimson or other variety of clover to try for fall plot? - 07/16/15 03:48 PM

alfalfa, but it's going to have to rain or you will have to water it to do much good.
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Panhandle - Crimson or other variety of clover to try for fall plot? - 07/16/15 05:05 PM

When I look at clovers, I don't see any recommended for sandy soil, some for sandy loam, but most for loam to clay type soils. I'm thinking that hairy vetch might be a better alternative. The chance of freezing out oats is high, so I wouldn't plant them unless it's part of a cereal mix, wheat, rye, or tritricale are better choices.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Panhandle - Crimson or other variety of clover to try for fall plot? - 07/16/15 05:22 PM

Check with these guys....
https://www.bamertseed.com/
or these guys....
http://www.turnerseed.com/site/Default.asp
Posted By: Herron

Re: Panhandle - Crimson or other variety of clover to try for fall plot? - 07/16/15 10:11 PM

Alright, thanks for the feedback. I'm hesitant to use alfalfa as there are cattle on the place and even though the plot is fenced off, I'm afraid they might go through the fence, eat too much and bloat. Was just wondering if anyone had found a clover that worked "out west".
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Panhandle - Crimson or other variety of clover to try for fall plot? - 07/17/15 01:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Herron
Alright, thanks for the feedback. I'm hesitant to use alfalfa as there are cattle on the place and even though the plot is fenced off, I'm afraid they might go through the fence, eat too much and bloat. Was just wondering if anyone had found a clover that worked "out west".

Clover is just as bad if not worse on bloat in cattle. So if the fences are not very good then anything you plant in the fall and winter will be the only green around some years in the winter.
Posted By: Bbear

Re: Panhandle - Crimson or other variety of clover to try for fall plot? - 07/17/15 12:24 PM

Used Madrid clover many years back on food plots in Llano county (granite/sandy soil). Deer liked it but preferred the wheat field to the clover. The cattle didn't pick it out any more than anything else.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum