Texas Hunting Forum

How Can You Pass???

Posted By: ZMS

How Can You Pass??? - 07/13/15 03:18 PM

This buck would be the biggest buck I have ever shot (by a considerable amount), but I would really like to see him mature. The place I am hunting is small acreage and the guys next to me will shoot him first chance they get. If this deer comes out during the season, which is always a big IF, do I pass him up hoping that he makes it or do I put an arrow in him? Also, am I too far off when I say he is a 4 year old?
Posted By: rifleman

Re: How Can You Pass??? - 07/13/15 03:22 PM

Might be a 4yo. I don't see anything about him that makes me thing that's not out of the realm of possibilities. You're the only person that can make the call on shooting him.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: How Can You Pass??? - 07/13/15 03:24 PM

It sucks when "if I don't shoot him the neighbor will" is in effect. Not sure on the age, but a lot of young deer are shot for this reason and there isn't much that can be done about it with small acreage.
Posted By: cameron00

Re: How Can You Pass??? - 07/13/15 03:38 PM

If you want him, shoot him.

He doesn't look terribly young.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: How Can You Pass??? - 07/13/15 03:40 PM

looks 4 to me.. id shoot him on my properties
Posted By: Navasot

Re: How Can You Pass??? - 07/13/15 03:41 PM

He may make your mind up for your once he sheds the velvet.. still a great deer but I bet he looses a good bit
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: How Can You Pass??? - 07/13/15 03:57 PM

I agree that he's likely 4.5. If he'd be your personal best it would be hard to pass. I've come to feel, though, that if I have a picture of him it helps me not feel nearly as bad if the neighbors get him as he's a shared deer that I helped grow.
Posted By: Western

Re: How Can You Pass??? - 07/13/15 04:04 PM

You have almost 4 month to think about it and he has some more growing to do. Small property would greatly impact my way of thinking, surrounding property dependent. Nice looking typical buck.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: How Can You Pass??? - 07/13/15 04:06 PM

I'm sorry if this hurts your feelings OP, but killing a young deer "because the neighbors will if I don't" is the poorest excuse I hear for killing a deer. If you do so, you're no better than the neighbors. That said, a 4 year old buck is bodily mature so it's not like you're killing an immature buck.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: How Can You Pass??? - 07/13/15 04:10 PM

Gotta know what you are happy with.

I shot the biggest buck of my life then had some kid tell me I shot a baby because he was only 4.5 and needed more time to grow. Guess that's the difference on hunting a 320 acre low fence property (me) and out of state every year a few times for mule deer and elk and a season lease in Mexico every year his whole life on daddy's dime(him).

I laughed and shook it off pretty easy. I'm still thrilled with mine. That said after having him if a similar situation was to come up I think I would be a lot more apt to let him walk and give my dad or brother a swing at him or get bigger next year.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: How Can You Pass??? - 07/13/15 04:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Western
You have almost 4 month to think about it and he has some more growing to do. Small property would greatly impact my way of thinking, surrounding property dependent. Nice looking typical buck.

^^^^
Posted By: sqiggy

Re: How Can You Pass??? - 07/13/15 04:28 PM

Look at it this way.
IF, he is 4 yrs old, he's gotten by your neighbors for 4 years. Why wouldn't he get by one more year?
Posted By: hookemhorns

Re: How Can You Pass??? - 07/13/15 04:37 PM

The good thing is he still has another 50-60 days to grow
Posted By: redchevy

Re: How Can You Pass??? - 07/13/15 04:47 PM

Originally Posted By: sqiggy
Look at it this way.
IF, he is 4 yrs old, he's gotten by your neighbors for 4 years. Why wouldn't he get by one more year?

Chances are for 3 of those 4 years he wasn't much to look at.

Ive heard the saying "if you would shoot him because your neighbor would you are that neighbor" too many times. It all comes down to what your hunting for. If your hunting for an eight and a half year old 200 inch monster you gotta hunt where that deer lives otherwise you may as well not go hunting. If he is a good deer for your area and makes you happy I wouldn't try to talk myself out of him. If your not happy with him then I wouldn't shoot him just to kill something with horns and a dong.
Posted By: 7ARanch

Re: How Can You Pass??? - 07/13/15 05:53 PM

Your place, your deer (shared or otherwise). If you like the deer and have the chance shoot it. My wife took her first buck last year. It just made AR and I had watched him several times without drawing on him, she was and still is thrilled beyond words with her deer. That's why we do this. It's a good deer no matter what you decide.
Posted By: passthru

Re: How Can You Pass??? - 07/13/15 05:58 PM

Yes he will gain inches if he lives another year. He will also spread his genetics a little more and get smarter and harder to kill. On our place he would be protected for two more years. Your place, your rules.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: How Can You Pass??? - 07/13/15 06:01 PM

Ground shrinkage is real

If you have to talk yourself into shooting him might be wise to pass

I care 3x's as much about age as I do antler score
Posted By: ZMS

Re: How Can You Pass??? - 07/13/15 06:34 PM

What y'all are saying makes sense. I do need to see what he looks like with the velvet off. Just because I wish I had a place I could manage better doesn't mean that I should pass up a deer that would be my biggest deer and make me extremely happy to harvest. If he shows up of course.
Posted By: Buccaneer

Re: How Can You Pass??? - 07/13/15 08:49 PM

^^^^^^
You just said it all right there: if he's your biggest deer and it would make you extremely happy to harvest, then don't even think twice about it! That's one of the biggest reasons you hunt! Don't worry, the deer are a renewable resource and there will be more. Every buck you take doesn't have to be a 6 1/2 year old 170+. Baby steps my friend, that's part of the fun.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: How Can You Pass??? - 07/13/15 10:16 PM

Originally Posted By: buccaneer

Every buck you take doesn't have to be a 6 1/2 year old 170+.

WOAH, WOAH, WOAH! Let's not get out of control, here. grin
Posted By: cameron00

Re: How Can You Pass??? - 07/14/15 01:36 AM

Originally Posted By: buccaneer
^^^^^^
You just said it all right there: if he's your biggest deer and it would make you extremely happy to harvest, then don't even think twice about it! That's one of the biggest reasons you hunt! Don't worry, the deer are a renewable resource and there will be more. Every buck you take doesn't have to be a 6 1/2 year old 170+. Baby steps my friend, that's part of the fun.

Well put.

Get one in the bag to cut your anxiety, and you can be picky in the future.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: How Can You Pass??? - 07/14/15 02:29 AM

If you like him kill him. Never, ever let anyone else decide what you should kill. He is a very nice buck.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: How Can You Pass??? - 07/14/15 02:35 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
If you like him kill him. Never, ever let anyone else decide what you should kill. He is a very nice buck.

Nailed it...

Shut the front door
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: How Can You Pass??? - 07/14/15 02:59 AM

You don't sir, you like - you take him and don't look back....
Posted By: wisco-hunter

Re: How Can You Pass??? - 07/14/15 04:30 AM

If he's your biggest take him, it will make the next one that same size and age easier to pass up, either way good luck
Posted By: 2012hvt

Re: How Can You Pass??? - 07/14/15 05:05 AM

Every time my brother, my son, and I split up to head to our stands, we always remind each other of our lease's #1 rule: "SHOOT ONE YOU LIKE!"
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: How Can You Pass??? - 07/15/15 12:25 AM

Wouldn't pass that one where I hunt.
Posted By: DH3

Re: How Can You Pass??? - 07/15/15 06:57 PM

Shoot!
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: How Can You Pass??? - 07/15/15 08:39 PM

This^^^^^^^^^^^

He looks like he could be 5 or older depending on how he finishes out and muscles and fattens up.

If your heart starts racing when you see him, kill him. That's what it's all about. He looks like he will be a great buck to put on the wall and cherish the memory. up
Posted By: 6InARowMakeItGo

Re: How Can You Pass??? - 07/16/15 10:38 AM

I asked this question a long time ago, in the same manner, if I don't shoot it, the neighbors will,

I was told, if you shoot it because you think the neighbors will, YOU are that neighbor...

I'd shoot that one, especially if it's your biggest to date
Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: How Can You Pass??? - 07/17/15 12:07 PM

He looks 4.5. While it would be great to let him go another year if he would be your biggest buck by far there's absolutely no shame in taking him. Just don't shoot him because you're afraid your neighbor will shoot him. If you make that choice you are that neighbor.
Posted By: MathMan

Re: How Can You Pass??? - 07/17/15 12:46 PM

Picture this...its deer season, he comes out, you shoot him, DRT....are you happy?

I bet your going crazy!!!

Chute em

Posted By: GotMyTag

Re: How Can You Pass??? - 07/18/15 09:44 PM

Beautiful deer no matter your decision
Posted By: allterrain

Re: How Can You Pass??? - 07/20/15 08:37 PM

It is a nice deer and really nice deer to take with a bow. Looks to be about 4 but hard to tell with that 1 photo.
Posted By: Schpanky

Re: How Can You Pass??? - 07/21/15 06:29 PM

I've come to the opinion that we tend to place way too much emphasis on what others think about what we shoot. Been hunting with a few new guys the last 2 seasons and it's interesting when I compare what I would shoot vs. what they'll shoot. For example....I'll hold off for a definite mature animal where as they'll shoot it if its "big"....and I think there's merit in both scenarios. One of the guys took a 3.5 yr old, 17.5" 8pt last year...when we went to pick it up, he asked me if I would have shot that deer...well the answer was no...but that's only because I've shot plenty of deer just like that...I asked him if he was happy about it...no doubt he was...and that's the bottom line...shoot what makes YOU happy. My guess is that the longer you do that, you may find yourself letting a deer like that pass a few years from now...but at least that will be your choice..... 2cents
Posted By: BOONER

Re: How Can You Pass??? - 07/21/15 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB

Nailed it...

Shut the front door

YEP!!!
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: How Can You Pass??? - 07/22/15 02:43 AM

I'd shoot a button buck if it made me happy and not care what the neighbors or deer experts said....
Posted By: Ccnyvfish

Re: How Can You Pass??? - 07/26/15 01:46 PM

I would shoot him he is a good 3.5 to 4.5 year old deer and if you have small acreage then the chances of him coming back are slim. With that being said it is a chance you might want to take. You make the decision and be happy about it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum