Texas Hunting Forum

Blue Tongue

Posted By: DLALLDER

Blue Tongue - 07/10/15 12:50 PM

Has anyone heard of problems with blue tongue in NW Missouri this year? I plan on a hunt there this Nov. Thanks
Posted By: sqiggy

Re: Blue Tongue - 07/10/15 03:09 PM

Don't know about there, but just west of there in NE Kansas, they got hit hard about 4 years ago.
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Blue Tongue - 07/10/15 03:21 PM

Deer Friendly is a site that aggregates deer news by state http://www.deerfriendly.com/deer/missouri
I don't see any reports.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Blue Tongue - 07/10/15 03:57 PM

I have people up there and so far it is good. It happens in dry years usually. And I hunt there every year.
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Blue Tongue - 07/10/15 11:48 PM

Thanks Guys for the info.
Posted By: tdecker22

Re: Blue Tongue - 07/11/15 03:33 AM

So far so good. They have had a ton of rain up there this spring and summer. Deer are looking great so far.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Blue Tongue - 07/11/15 10:28 PM

There was some blue tongue out by Graham a couple of years back. Heard that at a feed store there.
Posted By: Gary Willmann

Re: Blue Tongue - 07/13/15 10:12 PM

Blue Tongue hit MO hard about 4 years ago, wiped out close to 30% of the entire herd of the state. Some regions were hit harder than others. We hunt SW MO and it was pretty bad. Reports of 30-40 dead deer around stock ponds and literally hundreds of carcasses found along the river banks.

So there may not be a new outbreak, but the herd is still in recovery mode. I will say that in the last couple of years, we have seen more twin fawns than ever before. Mother Nature knows how to take care of things.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum