Texas Hunting Forum

Other feeds to attract BIG bucks

Posted By: Hunter Daddy

Other feeds to attract BIG bucks - 06/05/15 05:34 PM

Has anyone tried "sweet" horse/goat feed to attract bucks? I was thinking about using something in a pellet/cube/granule form to put inside my feeder pen. I have heard stories of older,mature bucks eating with cows and horses when this feed was used. I used to put out "Hi-Fi" and it worked on the deer. I am just trying to get more deer to come to my feeder and have something "different" besides the same ole corn and pellet routine that everyone else has around the ranch.
Posted By: senderoman

Re: Other feeds to attract BIG bucks - 06/05/15 05:54 PM

I have tried rice bran,peanut butter,alfalfa with little success.I,too,have thought about sweet feed.I will probably try Stocker 10 this year
Posted By: John Humbert

Re: Other feeds to attract BIG bucks - 06/05/15 06:40 PM

How to get BIG bucks at your feeder.... in two easy steps.

First, get some BIG bucks.

Second, put feed in your feeder.

I found this formula works every time, but you have to do both steps. So many folks try to skip a step, and it just doesn't seem to work.

I know, the advice seems too simple and maybe even ridiculously stupid - but I see and hear folks every year spending a ton of money and trying every product in the world, hoping that magically BIG bucks will show up on their lease and ranch. They fall for the commercials and ads that show pics/videos of BIG bucks eating all sorts of the newest feed, nuggets, dust, mineral blocks, etc. But they don't see those folks selling those products first started with Step #1, Get some BIG bucks.

Admittedly, this is the hardest step - which is why some folks tend to skip it and jump to step #2. But it seems to be the critical step.

If the truth be known, I have actually had some success skipping step #2, if I took the time and effort to do step #1. I know, I know - it's hard to believe - but I have actually seen some BIG bucks come to the feeder looking around when there was actually no feed at all in the feeder!

Sometimes it's just impossible to do step #1. If so, then no matter what you do for step #2, it just doesn't work. Yes, Yes, I know that that there's always someone that says differently, and relates tales of BIG bucks showing up from nowhere. But every time I look into these reports, I find one of two things. Either (a) the neighbors did step #1, or (b) it's some random freak case that step #2 really had no bearing on what happened.
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Other feeds to attract BIG bucks - 06/05/15 07:48 PM

it really depends on what you consider BIG. i know some things that work on deer up up to about 140 or so, and i know of some things that work on deer up to about 180, it really just depends on how BIG of a deer you want to see.

deer love sweet feed, try it out, it was $5.99 a bag at atwoods the other day.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Other feeds to attract BIG bucks - 06/05/15 09:00 PM

I've tried sweet feed and everything else. And they have all attracted big bucks from the time it gets dark until just before shooting light.
Posted By: tlk

Re: Other feeds to attract BIG bucks - 06/06/15 01:22 AM

Originally Posted By: John Humbert

I found this formula works every time, but you have to do both steps. So many folks try to skip a step, and it just doesn't seem to work.

I know, the advice seems too simple and maybe even ridiculously stupid - but I see and hear folks every year spending a ton of money and trying every product in the world, hoping that magically BIG bucks will show up on their lease and ranch. They fall for the commercials and ads that show pics/videos of BIG bucks eating all sorts of the newest feed, nuggets, dust, mineral blocks, etc. But they don't see those folks selling those products first started with Step #1, Get some BIG bucks.

Admittedly, this is the hardest step - which is why some folks tend to skip it and jump to step #2. But it seems to be the critical step.

If the truth be known, I have actually had some success skipping step #2, if I took the time and effort to do step #1. I know, I know - it's hard to believe - but I have actually seen some BIG bucks come to the feeder looking around when there was actually no feed at all in the feeder!

Sometimes it's just impossible to do step #1. If so, then no matter what you do for step #2, it just doesn't work. Yes, Yes, I know that that there's always someone that says differently, and relates tales of BIG bucks showing up from nowhere. But every time I look into these reports, I find one of two things. Either (a) the neighbors did step #1, or (b) it's some random freak case that step #2 really had no bearing on what happened.
. Yep you are spot on. Want to kill a big buck? Hunt where there are big bucks Pretty simple
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Other feeds to attract BIG bucks - 06/06/15 02:21 AM

Keep out corn for the does. Keep the does around and the biggest bucks in the area will be around the does.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Other feeds to attract BIG bucks - 06/06/15 03:01 AM

I'm running a 50-50 mix of corn and roasted soy bean right now. We'll see it pulls in some bigger bucks.
Posted By: John Humbert

Re: Other feeds to attract BIG bucks - 06/06/15 04:52 AM

Originally Posted By: tlk
Originally Posted By: John Humbert

. Yep you are spot on. Want to kill a big buck? Hunt where there are big bucks Pretty simple

I was trying be a little humorous. smile But it is true that you won't see or shoot big bucks in an area that there are none. Just like fishing on the coast - colors and lure selection is not nearly as important as fishing where the fish are.

Re: Other feeds to attract BIG bucks - 06/06/15 10:33 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Keep out corn for the does. Keep the does around and the biggest bucks in the area will be around the does.

i will have to respectfully disagree with this statement, sir.
Posted By: don k

Re: Other feeds to attract BIG bucks - 06/06/15 11:31 AM

Originally Posted By: jshouse

I will have to respectfully disagree with you as I believe Ranchman is right on the money with his statement.

Re: Other feeds to attract BIG bucks - 06/06/15 11:45 AM

Keep out corn for the does. Keep the does around and the biggest bucks * in the area will be around the does.

* Except if you are jshouse
Better confused2 grin

Re: Other feeds to attract BIG bucks - 06/06/15 11:58 AM

Originally Posted By: don k

I will have to respectfully disagree with you as I believe Ranchman is right on the money with his statement.

i have 4 years worth of proof that this is not the case on my place, and i am sure i am working on the 5th.

Keep out corn for the does. Keep the does around and the biggest bucks * in the area will be around the does.

* Except if you are jshouse
Better confused2 grin

thank you sir!
Posted By: Western

Re: Other feeds to attract BIG bucks - 06/06/15 12:54 PM

Skip the "Sweet feed" and put out plain ole molasses, that is what they are coming to. I had friends that had a deer block business years ago, binder was molasses as the attractant.

Pears are a great draw as well.'I use a food plot, corn/protein mix, don't really think you have to think about it much harder, unless your neighbor has something like alfalfa.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Other feeds to attract BIG bucks - 06/06/15 01:13 PM

some people make feeding way to complicated...

Re: Other feeds to attract BIG bucks - 06/06/15 01:26 PM

Does + Rut = Mature Bucks*...simple math

*jshouse rule exemption for him only grin
Posted By: sillyhorses

Re: Other feeds to attract BIG bucks - 06/06/15 02:19 PM

You have to watch out with the sweet feed as it tends to plug up the feeder as the weather changes. I mix all kinds of crap together hoping it will attract anything. Does it work? Who knows?? Big Buck recipe -- a remote quiet acreage UNDISTURBED with water, food, does, cover.

Re: Other feeds to attract BIG bucks - 06/06/15 02:19 PM

Corn + Does in heat = Bucks. Like Navasot said "Why make it complicated". Oh, and by the way this has worked over 50 years for me. This coming season it will have worked over 51.

Re: Other feeds to attract BIG bucks - 06/06/15 02:56 PM

Corn + Does in heat = Bucks. Like Navasot said "Why make it complicated". Oh, and by the way this has worked over 50 years for me. This coming season it will have worked over 51.

thats awesome, but year round corn and 10-15 does on camera everyday and i still dont see a mature buck from october to march, my lake rat does must just be ug or something.

Re: Other feeds to attract BIG bucks - 06/06/15 03:01 PM

thats awesome, but year round corn and 10-15 does on camera everyday and i still dont see a mature buck from october to march, my lake rat does must just be ug or something.

Maybe you stink up the area to much..... peep

Re: Other feeds to attract BIG bucks - 06/06/15 03:09 PM

ha, well the first year or two maybe, but last year that place wasnt even hunted more than 8 or 10 times all year and probably not at all after mid-november...nothing out there but corn, does, and cameras.

Re: Other feeds to attract BIG bucks - 06/06/15 03:23 PM

ha, well the first year or two maybe, but last year that place wasnt even hunted more than 8 or 10 times all year and probably not at all after mid-november...nothing out there but corn, does, and cameras.

Maybe this is his problem....

Re: Other feeds to attract BIG bucks - 06/06/15 03:31 PM

Maybe you can thank your neighbors for that.

Re: Other feeds to attract BIG bucks - 06/06/15 03:42 PM

yeah, i guess their corn taste better than mine and their does are prettier confused2

not really, they dont get the big ones either, it really is an incredible feat the bucks out there pull every year, we all see them all summer then poof, they gone, no feeder full of corn or hot lil lady can pull them back.

i think stx may have the answer with that pic.

Re: Other feeds to attract BIG bucks - 06/06/15 03:47 PM

don, i get it, i see all the bucks on here every year killed "chasing a doe" or "under a feeder" and i even killed one myself last year, on my other place.

but this little place in hunt county is different for some reason, and i was really just being sarcastic when i first posted.
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: Other feeds to attract BIG bucks - 06/07/15 02:40 PM

[quote=stxranchman]Keep out corn for the does. Keep the does around and the biggest bucks in the area will be around the does.

i have 4 years worth of proof that this is not the case on my place, and i am sure i am working on the 5th.

Key words being "YOUR PLACE"

Re: Other feeds to attract BIG bucks - 06/09/15 08:29 PM

Originally Posted By: hoof n wings
[quote=stxranchman]Keep out corn for the does. Keep the does around and the biggest bucks in the area will be around the does.

Key words being "YOUR PLACE"

oh so very key, thanks.
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Other feeds to attract BIG bucks - 06/11/15 01:40 PM

I've tried a variety of things and learned that they will eat just about anything you put out there eventually, but the tend to be hesitant to anything new. Corn is cheap and easy to deal with, so I'm sticking with that. Keeping the hogs away from the feeder is a lot more important then what you are feeding them.

Deer Cane minerals in a wet spot is even better. The trails coming and going from there are ten times what I have around my deer corn. I have cameras at my corn feeder and in my food plot with the deer cane in it. I get a couple of deer eating the corn, but over a dozen at the deer cane!!! The hogs don't touch it and the deer love it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum