Texas Hunting Forum

Better deer pop-junction or menard?

Posted By: Nick1

Better deer pop-junction or menard? - 06/02/15 09:57 PM

I have the opportunity for some deer hunting close to Menard or Junction TX. Can anyone give any advice on better deer populations on either of those areas? Thanks in advance
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Better deer pop-junction or menard? - 06/02/15 11:31 PM

A lot will depend on where the location is at around either town, habitat looks like, bedding cover, drainages, hunting pressure and livestock type/grazing pressure.
Posted By: Nick1

Re: Better deer pop-junction or menard? - 06/03/15 12:39 AM

There's a lot of cover, with some open areas. I need to go in and clear a lot. But it's undeveloped land.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Better deer pop-junction or menard? - 06/03/15 03:10 AM

I've hunted Menard. Lots of deer in some areas, others not so much. Same with pigs.
Posted By: Chunky Dunk

Re: Better deer pop-junction or menard? - 06/03/15 01:31 PM

They are relatively not far from each other. Hunted both over the years. I like the terrain in Menard better.
Posted By: 30378

Re: Better deer pop-junction or menard? - 06/03/15 01:41 PM

Never hunter Menard but just south of Junction out 377 there are more deer than most can imagine. We are 18 miles south of Junction and it is typical to see 25 to 30 deer every hunt. Not many trophies but lots of population. Plenty of hogs too.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Better deer pop-junction or menard? - 06/03/15 05:03 PM

Originally Posted By: 30378
Never hunter Menard but just south of Junction out 377 there are more deer than most can imagine. We are 18 miles south of Junction and it is typical to see 25 to 30 deer every hunt. Not many trophies but lots of population. Plenty of hogs too.

Sounds like you're not far from our place. I agree, lots of game south towards Telegraph.
Posted By: chicken fried

Re: Better deer pop-junction or menard? - 06/03/15 06:48 PM

years ago I hunted near Ft. McKavett, in nw Kimble co. There wasnt a huge population but it was good. The quality of horns was real good. I felt it was better than the eastern side of the county when I hunted near Harper.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum