Texas Hunting Forum

Alfalfa in west texas

Posted By: duck_slayer89

Alfalfa in west texas - 05/29/15 09:09 PM

Yall ever put alfalfa out by yall feeders. First year in juno I know they seem to go through it fast in east tx.
Posted By: 68A

Re: Alfalfa in west texas - 05/29/15 09:32 PM

Put out couple bales a month up in Childress, my LO was hauling in it by truckload for his horses so he'd give me a few bales. Nothing much seemed to touch it, but I had it in my feed pin next to feeder. ETA, I was also bordered by large wheat and cotton fields. They didnt have much reason to eat it with the natural buffet they had.
Posted By: Schpanky

Re: Alfalfa in west texas - 05/29/15 09:36 PM

tried Chaffhaye....deer didn't mess with it much. I've been told it takes a bit to get them to eat it but once they start it works well.
Posted By: aeb

Re: Alfalfa in west texas - 05/29/15 10:31 PM

Some folks have had good luck with it but my deer never touched it. Depends a lot on your location and what else the deer on your place have available. Only way is to try it!
Posted By: ccrock

Re: Alfalfa in west texas - 05/29/15 11:01 PM

I put it out 3 times this year on a new place and the deer hammer it. I am west of Juno.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Alfalfa in west texas - 05/30/15 12:53 AM

Originally Posted By: duck_slayer89
Yall ever put alfalfa out by yall feeders. First year in juno I know they seem to go through it fast in east tx.

Do you have any Axis around Sir
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Alfalfa in west texas - 05/30/15 12:56 AM

Tried it near San Angelo and didn't have much luck. Better build a strong pen if you have cows.

Also tried it in Kansas and they used it for bedding more than they ate it confused2
Posted By: mulie_mike

Re: Alfalfa in west texas - 05/30/15 01:40 AM

All I feed is alfalfa in west Texas with protein. As far west as El Paso out to the Juno area.
The animals love it so much I cant keep enough of it out.
Posted By: duck_slayer89

Re: Alfalfa in west texas - 05/30/15 02:32 AM

Not sure yet. We've heard there are a few my buddy put our cameras out 3 weeks ago were going for our workday June 12th so we will see.
Posted By: westexhunter

Re: Alfalfa in west texas - 06/04/15 06:25 PM

Tried it in panhandle mulies destroy it, whitetails not so much..
Posted By: Bbear

Re: Alfalfa in west texas - 06/04/15 07:22 PM

Use it on occasion Near Menard. Whitetails tend to nibble any leaves off of it then head off. Axis and Red Sheep and the Addax tend to eat every piece they can find. With all the rain, I'm thinking they won't be touching it too much. Too much other goodies for them to munch on.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Alfalfa in west texas - 06/04/15 09:20 PM

We can't keep it in the feed pens in Junction. Put it in and it lasts about 2 days.
Posted By: MR5Hunter

Re: Alfalfa in west texas - 06/06/15 06:27 AM

Have used it on a place around Mertzon and couldn't keep enough in the feed pens. Two or three bales wouldn't last a week
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum