Texas Hunting Forum

Any deer hunters that still just put a board in a tree?

Posted By: pertnear

Any deer hunters that still just put a board in a tree? - 05/25/15 05:26 PM

When my dad first took me hunting that's all we used. A few board scraps & an hour later we'd have a stand along a new trail we found. I remember dad once found an old plow seat & you'd think he'd found gold! He screwed it to a big horizontal oak limb & put up a tight wire to hang camo bush & provide a rest. Shot a lot of bucks from that tree.

Just wondering...
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Any deer hunters that still just put a board in a tree? - 05/25/15 05:45 PM

One of my bow stands is two 2x12's in a hackberry tree. Last year we bolted a boat seat so it is a little more comfortable. All our stands used to be look be out of wood until we moved to West Texas.
Posted By: GLC

Re: Any deer hunters that still just put a board in a tree? - 05/25/15 06:10 PM

That is the only stand I ever knew about until about five years ago. Now I hunt in mesquite trees. No place to put a board in one.
Posted By: tlk

Re: Any deer hunters that still just put a board in a tree? - 05/25/15 11:08 PM

grew up pulling cedar up around a big tree and sitting on the ground with my back against the tree. no shooting rest - no bipods - everything was free hand and usually open sights cause my Dad could not afford a scope -

Also did a lot of walk/stalk hunting. My Dad taught me three steps, stop and scan, then three more steps. Killed many a deer/elk/etc. hunting that way. Good fun
Posted By: pertnear

Re: Any deer hunters that still just put a board in a tree? - 05/26/15 03:26 AM

Another one of our favorite blinds was a 5 gal bucket to sit on in a closely formed mot of cedars. Wrapped a few branches around for a rest & cover. Bingo - excellent blind!...LOL
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Any deer hunters that still just put a board in a tree? - 05/26/15 04:25 AM

First deer I ever shot was off a 2x4 wedged into a couple limbs about 8 feet off the ground. 27 years ago... And I still have the bow. up
Posted By: redfred

Re: Any deer hunters that still just put a board in a tree? - 05/26/15 04:44 AM

When I was a kid, back in the 60's, my dad used to bring home wooden pallets from work and my brother and I would hoist them up in trees and tie them in place. My favorite shot was when I was in a tree that was right on a fence line. I was sitting there looking out over a clearing and heard a noise below. I looked through the spaces between the slats and saw a 3 point spike. He had jumped the fence and stopped directly below me. I leaned over the edge and pointed my .30-30 straight between his shoulder blades. The bullet went through his back and exited with a hole the size of my fist in the bottom of his chest. He crumbled on the spot, and I almost fell out of the tree. You can brag about your multi-hundred yard shots, but mine was a clean kill at about 10 feet.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Any deer hunters that still just put a board in a tree? - 05/26/15 10:19 AM

I have and it's no fun when your backside goes numb after about 10 minutes. Thank goodness times change.
Posted By: Western

Re: Any deer hunters that still just put a board in a tree? - 05/26/15 12:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Erathkid
I have and it's no fun when your backside goes numb after about 10 minutes. Thank goodness times change.

Amen brudda, I have done it from just climbing a tree, to brushing in as a few here mentioned, using hay bales. Board or no board, was well, sucky, but when you are young..........
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Any deer hunters that still just put a board in a tree? - 05/26/15 01:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Erathkid

X 2. Been there, never going back.
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Any deer hunters that still just put a board in a tree? - 05/26/15 03:18 PM

Growing up, that's all we hunted out of. All of the "stands" were just a 2x6 up in a live oak. When the wind blew, the stand moved.

I didn't hunt in a box blind until ~2006 or so. Now, they're pretty much all you see.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Any deer hunters that still just put a board in a tree? - 05/26/15 07:41 PM

Its not ours, but there is a homemade wood stand nailed up in a big mesquite tree on our place. Its probably been there longer than ive been alive. There are also several of them in choke canyon flooded in the brush when the lake fills. I have seen them a few times and wondered what it looked like before the lake was there.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Any deer hunters that still just put a board in a tree? - 05/26/15 09:27 PM

Our first stand was 2x4s in a huge cedar with 2x4 steps nailed up the trunk. That was in 1978. Eventually we added three elm trees (talk about wavy), three live oaks, and two Spanish oaks in addition to 4 home-built wooden box blinds.
Posted By: Schpanky

Re: Any deer hunters that still just put a board in a tree? - 05/26/15 09:36 PM

not anymore....too old and fat. I've stood bow hunting on a 18" piece of 2x12 towed into the fork of a giant mesquite tree 15 ft in the air swaying in the breeze with no safety harness....yep...young 'n dumb...most of our early bow blinds were death traps but we somehow survived...
Posted By: don k

Re: Any deer hunters that still just put a board in a tree? - 05/26/15 11:31 PM

Not since I got old. Still see them in the pasture from when I was younger.
Posted By: FoxTrot

Re: Any deer hunters that still just put a board in a tree? - 05/27/15 03:04 PM

Ive made a few but I havent really hunted nay of them.

I love the luxury of my Woodsie when I am in the tree.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Any deer hunters that still just put a board in a tree? - 05/27/15 04:17 PM

I would fall and kill myself in 5 mins roflmao

I have to have a area around me bang
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum