Texas Hunting Forum

East Texas Deer

Posted By: Mr. T.

East Texas Deer - 05/19/15 01:47 PM

I have always hunted in west texas, but a friend of mine is wanting me to get on a lease in east Texas near Clarksville. Any deer, what size bucks?
Posted By: Navasot

Re: East Texas Deer - 05/19/15 01:51 PM

That aint E Tx that's OK. peep

Re: East Texas Deer - 05/19/15 01:52 PM

Would be a whole lot nicer drive for you though than west Tx.

Re: East Texas Deer - 05/19/15 02:02 PM

I agree that the view while driving would be nicer than what you see while heading to the lease in West Texas, and yes maybe it is almost in Ok, but still got to buy a Texas licence, but what about the number of deer and horn size. Can I see at least 10 deer a day?

Re: East Texas Deer - 05/19/15 02:04 PM

Not sure... do you see 10 deer a day in west tx? I see 2 some days and 20 on another here... its all about quality... red river usually has that

Re: East Texas Deer - 05/19/15 02:17 PM

I agree that some days you see 10 and some days you see 2, but at least you know they are there. I've talked to others who said they see 4 or 5 all season. That is not what I am looking for and why I am checking. Also, I have heard about a lot of poaching going on in east Texas. I'm just trying to get some unbiased information about that part of the state.
Posted By: Fat Tire

Re: East Texas Deer - 05/19/15 02:56 PM

I wouldn't give up a lease in West Texas that I was happy with to try East Texas.
There are some quality deer in NE Texas, but you don't typically see the numbers that you do out west.
There's poaching everywhere, but I do know that when I was hunting in Cass and Morris counties, I would here a lot of night shooting. Pig hunting? Maybe.
Also, the deer really seemed nocturnal out that way.
Has your buddy been hunting this lease the past year or two? Was he successful?

Re: East Texas Deer - 05/19/15 03:14 PM

No, he has never hunted it. It's one of those friend of a friend things.
Posted By: rbw1

Re: East Texas Deer - 05/19/15 03:17 PM

The real good deer usually go nocturnal over night it seems alot of pressure. But they are some very.good deer in e tex more than others think.
Posted By: HS2

Re: East Texas Deer - 05/19/15 03:37 PM

I'm not sure if there are any less deer, but often times you see fewere deer. There is more cover, more food sources closer to their bedding areas, so they don't have to travel as far. There's also more people and the ranches are often smaller. Add all that up and you can predict the result.

But as the case everywhere, the deer population depends on the individual place and how it's managed. See if they'll let you put up a couple of cameras before you decide.

Re: East Texas Deer - 05/19/15 04:04 PM

Nocturnal deer will slip up during the right time of the year.... not a lot but it will happen. Id much rather be within an hour drive and put that extra time and money id save to the deer... think long term
Posted By: wp75169

Re: East Texas Deer - 05/19/15 04:12 PM

You will not see near the quantity of deer but there are some nice ones. These pictures were taken 12 ish miles west of Clarksville. We will never compete with panhandle deer either. Nice body size compared to most of Texas.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: East Texas Deer - 05/19/15 04:17 PM

This old guy is one of my favorites.

Posted By: Erathkid

Re: East Texas Deer - 05/19/15 05:44 PM

Good deer north of Clarksville. A friend of mine has a little over 100 acres in the blackland, before you hit the sand near the river. He has killed deer every year since owning it. One really nice 8 point that scored around 130. Bigger deer are out there though. Pressure on surrounding properties is what you need to be concerned with, and yes, there is theft and poaching around. Not many places where you can escape that though. Having said that, west Texas is hard to beat. Where was your lease?
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: East Texas Deer - 05/19/15 08:03 PM

I would not hunt there over West Texas. Unless you are hunting a small property in WT. If so, you could have a better chance at a big buck in NE Texas. You will generally see less deer and have to stay more alert because the chance for a shot usually will come and go much more quickly.
Posted By: Hogman4127

Re: East Texas Deer - 05/21/15 03:37 AM

I hunt there and would not give up a lease in west Texas for it. Hunted south Texas for 10 years never had a problem with poachers or thieves. Every year in Red River County something is stolen from someone on our lease. Lots of local year round hunters. Seems this last year have lots more dog with color pics on the cameras. 2 bucks were killed off the lease last year. 8 hunters.

I know there are nice deer from the pics but that is before season. Nocturnal is an understatement

Re: East Texas Deer - 05/21/15 05:48 PM

Thanks, to everyone who gave advice. I believe that even though it is closer to home, I would enjoy hunting in west Texas more.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: East Texas Deer - 05/21/15 09:09 PM

A long term lease close to home is hard to beat. I'm a firm believer that quality can be developed and quantity can be accumulated based on being extremely selective (even if certain neighbors aren't).
Posted By: ETexas Hunter

Re: East Texas Deer - 05/22/15 02:16 PM

here are a few that were taken off my place in Anderson county in the past few years.

Re: East Texas Deer - 05/23/15 03:23 AM

Originally Posted By: rifleman
A long term lease close to home is hard to beat. I'm a firm believer that quality can be developed and quantity can be accumulated based on being extremely selective (even if certain neighbors aren't).

And to elaborate, it's hard to go by what's previously shot. I could try to sell you on a place that hasn't had a deer of any kind shot on it since 2009.....would seem like a terrible place to hunt, right?
Posted By: ETXbuckman

Re: East Texas Deer - 05/24/15 01:45 AM

Originally Posted By: ETexas Hunter

here are a few that were taken off my place in Anderson county in the past few years.

If that's the club I think it is I keep up with you guys on Facebook. Y'all kill some great deer every season.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: East Texas Deer - 05/24/15 01:17 PM

I love east TX hunting. But it isn't for everyone. Many prefer more open country and want to see a lot of deer every time they go out.

Re: East Texas Deer - 05/24/15 02:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
I love east TX hunting. But it isn't for everyone. Many prefer more open country and want to see a lot of deer every time they go out.

You can have that in ETX (more so if you don't lease and can set up stands to your liking.). Pulling the trigger and filling tags just to kill something shouldn't be a priority though.

Re: East Texas Deer - 05/24/15 02:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

You can have that in ETX (more so if you don't lease and can set up stands to your liking.). Pulling the trigger and filling tags just to kill something shouldn't be a priority though.

Shhh......get with the program Watson. grin

Re: East Texas Deer - 05/24/15 02:41 PM

Ohh, thought you were just talking about seeing a long ways.

Re: East Texas Deer - 05/24/15 05:05 PM

Just messing with you. smile

Re: East Texas Deer - 05/25/15 05:44 PM

Originally Posted By: ETXbuckman
[quote=ETexas Hunter]

here are a few that were taken off my place in Anderson county in the past few years. [/quote

If that's the club I think it is I keep up with you guys on Facebook. Y'all kill some great deer every season.

Not the one. This is just a piece of land my family has owned forever. All the hunters are family.

Re: East Texas Deer - 05/25/15 06:48 PM

Okay, what do I have to do to become part of your family?
Posted By: TEXAN1970

Re: East Texas Deer - 05/26/15 01:16 AM

You aint gonna see 10 deer a day in east Texas.

Re: East Texas Deer - 05/26/15 02:21 AM

Pulled this from a cpl years ago. Just to show what can be done given time.

I gained access to a 288 tract in 2010 and ran camera surveys on it that fall. The place was mostly surrounded by national forest which can be worse than a day hunt place. 4-5bucks (only 1 not a yearling) on camera total & a few does was all I could find. There had been 5 families of ppl on the place filling tags (killing what the could legally and using it to access public to try to fill tags) that got the boot so I figured the place was over pressured & shot up. As of now, the place has yet to be hunted (still hasn't and I just ran test cameras to try to get them working again for 2014 for a cpl weeks to stay off the place) but there are a few bucks that will get you're attention that have been allowed to get some age on them. What happens next is important, I can choose to shoot the place up and head back toward step one, or I can try to single out those special older deer and only try to kill them. It's not going to result in me filling a tag every yr, but it can allow me to bring in a kid during the late youth and let them shoot something that I don't like being there (or shoot something really special..have my eye on a 3yo from last year that has that IT factor).

first yr

Cam dates right...10pic limit or there'd be quite a few more from that survey.

age classes are doing what they need to be doing.

Re: East Texas Deer - 05/26/15 02:41 AM

Originally Posted By: TEXAN1970

Hmmm....

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbth...d..#Post5531002
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: East Texas Deer - 05/26/15 12:57 PM

Originally Posted By: TEXAN1970

Hmmm....

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbth...d..#Post5531002

Not 10 "Quality" deer

and of course if you give time they are gonna mature rofl

Kinda a given that's been preached for 30 years bang

Re: East Texas Deer - 05/26/15 01:34 PM

Not unusual to see 50-100 deer on that little round. My buddy with a place in Rocksprings had never seen anything like it in his life. As far as letting them age, that small tract would lease out at 2250 for 1 gun....how many folks would tie up over $11k just for the lease (excludes mowing, plots,etc) with no intention of pulling the trigger? Good chance I won't want to hunt it this year either considering my 1 13" tag for the county has its eye on a different group of bucks. Going to be a place for the kids to hunt.

Re: East Texas Deer - 05/26/15 02:09 PM

You'll also notice there are more bucks in the older age classes from the survey than I could even scrounge up initially. It's what taking all pressure off of a place will do for it.

Re: East Texas Deer - 05/26/15 03:34 PM

Not unusual to see 50-100 deer on that little round. My buddy with a place in Rocksprings had never seen anything like it in his life. As far as letting them age, that small tract would lease out at 2250 for 1 gun....how many folks would tie up over $11k just for the lease (excludes mowing, plots,etc) with no intention of pulling the trigger? Good chance I won't want to hunt it this year either considering my 1 13" tag for the county has its eye on a different group of bucks. Going to be a place for the kids to hunt.

It all depend on where you are, what kind of folks are hunting on the same property and how its managed. I know lots of people that kill great deer in my area. I also no a lot that don't see much at all because they have been shooting everything they see for years.

I am fortunate that where I hunt is family owned and has been that way for over 50 years.

Re: East Texas Deer - 05/26/15 04:34 PM

I have a lot of hunting pressure around our main place and lose deer every year from it. It happens when majority of the surrounding area is open pasture with creeks running through them to hold some does and bucks not thinking straight during the rut. 10s in the 3-5yo range seem to be the ones in trouble if they're seen. Doesn't affect me rolling the dice on deer though and if I can get them through Thanksgiving it's usually smooth sailing. The late youth season worries me some bc there's always fawns being bred then after the Ickes have grouped back up.
Posted By: dw173

Re: East Texas Deer - 05/28/15 08:44 PM

Don't see many on our lease normally. Very wooded
Posted By: millerliteliker

Re: East Texas Deer - 06/02/15 01:51 PM

I have hunted (leases and owned property) over the past few years in Sterling (West Texas), Baylor (North Central Texas) and Rusk, Gregg, and Marion Counties (East Texas).

Hunting is much easier (more deer at least) in Sterling and Baylor Counties. "Easier" in that if you like to sit in a stand and wait for a feeder to go off and deer pop out of the brush and come to the feeder like cattle. If you don't have much time to hunt (weekends only) and you just want to shoot something (and maybe sometimes a very nice buck) then West Texas is where you need to be.

I like East Texas because I mostly bow hunt, and I prefer being in a tree rather than in a ground blind. Feeders are not as effective in East Texas. Food plots work well and also setting up in staging areas off of feeders. Also - find acorns. If you set up on acorns you have a better chance at a good buck. There are HUGE bucks in East Texas, but you do need to put the hours in in the stand to have a good opportunity to harvest one. East Texas is typical of the type of "hunting" that most midwest and southeast hunters do. I live in East Texas so I can put in the hours. Also, all of East Texas is AR restriction country, so there are definitely some large bucks in the woods.

Hope the above helps. It really comes down to what type of hunting you prefer and how much time you have.

Re: East Texas Deer - 06/02/15 08:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Mr. T.
Okay, what do I have to do to become part of your family?

I suppose you'd have to marry one of my brothers...not sure that they'd have any of it though
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum