Texas Hunting Forum

Possibly Important Factor This Coming Season

Posted By: DQ Kid

Possibly Important Factor This Coming Season - 05/13/15 12:13 PM

With all this greenery around will be to get a couple of early and hard frosts/freezes to knock down a lot of the vegetation early on in season. Deer will be a lot more inclined to come to feeders and corn with that occurring. Our best seasons in South Texas were always those which had plenty of Spring/Summer rains followed by early, cold hard winters. Hoping for the same this season.
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: Possibly Important Factor This Coming Season - 05/13/15 08:08 PM

I heard a few weeks ago that we are in for a wetter and milder than normal summer and winter. No doubt we have been milder and wetter so far. If the weather continues as it has, the rut will be all the more important to success, and if successful, it will likely be with bigger headgear than normal.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Possibly Important Factor This Coming Season - 05/13/15 08:11 PM

I have just learned to be more mobile in wet years when hunting. Use a tripod to move to the deer when you find what they are feeding on then use a road feeder. Makes it more of me hunting them again instead of them hunting me sitting at a corn feeder. Two things deer will need to do is eat and drink water multiple times per day, no matter how green it is now or later on. Third things is rut when the time is right. Hunt food and/or water and your early season success will be much greater. Same will hold true in the rut once you find the does.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Possibly Important Factor This Coming Season - 05/13/15 10:11 PM

True that Ranch, sometimes you have to go looking for them especially when the groceries are abundant.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Possibly Important Factor This Coming Season - 05/14/15 01:03 AM

If it'll keep up, things should be great for us. Had timely rains in 2012, but seems like it hasn't stopped since the 17" gully washer that hit opening of bow season that year. Bucks are in very good shape with what looks like several years of wet Summers and mild winters strung together.
Posted By: txhunter1010

Re: Possibly Important Factor This Coming Season - 05/14/15 02:16 PM

so do you think that since it will be so green..will it be a waste to plant my oats/wheat/rye grass plots?
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Possibly Important Factor This Coming Season - 05/14/15 02:30 PM

You asking about planting in summer or fall? I would plant in fall for sure,
Posted By: Western

Re: Possibly Important Factor This Coming Season - 05/14/15 02:39 PM

Not all this "green growth" has it's full preferred potential, some plants wont get much use until a frost. The leaves yellow and sugars are at there highest level in many trees and shrubs, Osage orange (bois d'arc) is one.

I will always plant a fall plot, even when there are tons of browse and acorns, I still get activity on the soft growth of oats and wheat.

I am tickled since there is much more cover for fawns and plenty of browse right now, deer should hit this fall in good condition here.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Possibly Important Factor This Coming Season - 05/14/15 02:47 PM

Originally Posted By: txhunter1010
so do you think that since it will be so green..will it be a waste to plant my oats/wheat/rye grass plots?

No, best time to plant is when Mother nature is providing the moisture. It could always stop and things go south.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Possibly Important Factor This Coming Season - 05/14/15 03:38 PM

As STX said, start reading now about strategies for hunting other than sitting on a feeder.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Possibly Important Factor This Coming Season - 05/14/15 03:55 PM

Originally Posted By: DQ Kid
With all this greenery around will be to get a couple of early and hard frosts/freezes to knock down a lot of the vegetation early on in season. Deer will be a lot more inclined to come to feeders and corn with that occurring. Our best seasons in South Texas were always those which had plenty of Spring/Summer rains followed by early, cold hard winters. Hoping for the same this season.

July and August aren't here yet... Native plants have a true growth season. That season isn't year round. Nov, dec and Jan are coming
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Possibly Important Factor This Coming Season - 05/14/15 04:07 PM

NWS Climate Prediction Center said there is a 90% chance that El Nino conditions would continue this summer, and an 80% chance they would continue into the winter.

El Nino
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: Possibly Important Factor This Coming Season - 05/14/15 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted By: DQ Kid

July and August aren't here yet... Native plants have a true growth season. That season isn't year round. Nov, dec and Jan are coming

^ this
Posted By: txhunter1010

Re: Possibly Important Factor This Coming Season - 05/14/15 07:41 PM

I was talking about planting fall plots...
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Possibly Important Factor This Coming Season - 05/14/15 07:52 PM

I will plant oats no matter how green it is or how many acorns there are this fall. When it freezes later on they will hit the oats.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Possibly Important Factor This Coming Season - 05/15/15 04:53 AM

Our deer go crazy for oats regardless of pasture conditions. You should definitely plant.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum