Texas Hunting Forum

Whatcha think?

Posted By: titan2232

Whatcha think? - 05/06/15 02:04 PM

This is my new set-up. The previous hunters had feeders in this small clearing, but had their blind up wind of the feeder near what I'm thinking is a bedding area. I choose to put my blind on the peak looking down to the feeders. Approx. 175 yds from blind to feeders and I'm hoping to pull deer from the thick draws on the other property. What do you guys think?

Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Whatcha think? - 05/06/15 02:09 PM

Sweet up

FEED, FEED then Chum and then Feed some more...then Chum on top of your feed roflmao

Re: Whatcha think? - 05/06/15 03:52 PM

Sweeten the deal with a bale or two of alfalfa?
Posted By: Western

Re: Whatcha think? - 05/06/15 04:52 PM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
Sweet up

FEED, FEED then Chum and then Feed some more...then Chum on top of your feed roflmao

So.......What are you saying Scooter? roflmao

Look like a great set up, Elevation is always good and gives you a lot of area to keep you entertained.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Whatcha think? - 05/06/15 05:38 PM

Looks like it will only be good on southerly winds and not on north wind days. NE wind will be directly in the bedding area and N/NW wind they will smell you on the way to the feeder. Basically only a southwind blind.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Whatcha think? - 05/06/15 06:00 PM

Sweet up

Solid plan

you may add a bit of extra feed to be sure though

Re: Whatcha think? - 05/06/15 06:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
Sweet up

Solid plan

you may add a bit of extra feed to be sure though

STX was overthinking that approach a Tad eeks333

Feed enough and they will look over that windage...Kidding...You having a Bow set up or just Long Gun OP

Re: Whatcha think? - 05/06/15 07:11 PM

If that fenceline runs north into a saddle in between those those 2 higher points then that is where the deer will want to travel IMO.

Re: Whatcha think? - 05/06/15 07:13 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
If that fenceline runs north into a saddle in between those those 2 higher points then that is where the deer will want to travel IMO.

Couple good Pinch Points there for sure up
Posted By: jdickey

Re: Whatcha think? - 05/06/15 07:26 PM

Keep in mind that in Texas the prevailing winds most of the time are from the south - southwest and southeast. In winter, winds generally come from the west and northwest; when coming from the east, that will usually mean bad weather is approaching. So, looks like you should be in good shape until you can pattern how the deer will travel.

I had moved my blind two years ago and after the first season in that location, I was able to pattern the deer movement. So, last year I moved, once more, about 50 yards south and ended up seeing more deer, particularly bucks, than I have ever seen since being on the lease for 6 years.

Also, you might want to consider a second feeder about half way between your current feeder location and the fence line to the west. It would be far enough from the neighbor's, and a more strategice spot above the bedding area.

Re: Whatcha think? - 05/06/15 08:29 PM

I was thinking along the lines of southern prevailing winds, but I'm sure I'll be caught with a bad wind from time to time. I'll be bow hunting my 700 acre ET place this year and will hold off on a bow blind for this place until I get a year under my belt. It's a new lease and I really have no idea what to expect from the LO other than the occasional conversation with the previous hunters.

Our 3100 acres is on the back end of his 17K acres that has year round protein and constant water sources. My theory of drawing deer from these thick draws on the other property is a shot in the dark and was a easy choice after jumping many deer from this area and the seclusion it provides of being in the back corner of the property.

Forgot to mention this is the only area we've seen Auodad in our few trips so far. Wouldn't mind taking a big healthy goat/sheep. Whatever they are

Re: Whatcha think? - 05/06/15 08:41 PM

Rut will be when colder weather hits and that will mean northerly winds most of the time. Could be NE, N or NW. I would check those saddle areas now for old rubs and scrapes to see if they have been traveling those areas. Also the drainages can be good travel areas also. Mature bucks use those saddles to move from one location to another. Is that Live Oak, Cedar and Mesquite country?

Re: Whatcha think? - 05/06/15 08:56 PM

Rut will be when colder weather hits and that will mean northerly winds most of the time. Could be NE, N or NW. I would check those saddle areas now for old rubs and scrapes to see if they have been traveling those areas. Also the drainages can be good travel areas also. Mature bucks use those saddles to move from one location to another. Is that Live Oak, Cedar and Mesquite country?

I did see a good rub line coming/going from the North Northwest 50 yds from the base of that peak on my last visit and I'm hopeful this elevated position gives me time to judge and/or give me shooting lanes before the wind becomes a factor.

This property is between Sonora and Juno (10 miles east of hwy 277 and 10 miles south of hwy 189) so I think the Live Oak, Cedar, and Mesquite is accurate.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Whatcha think? - 05/06/15 09:21 PM

Rut will be when colder weather hits and that will mean northerly winds most of the time. Could be NE, N or NW.

Most cold fronts blow through in 1-2 days, and then you have 4-5 days of SE, S, or SW before the next front.

Re: Whatcha think? - 05/06/15 10:19 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Rut will be when colder weather hits and that will mean northerly winds most of the time. Could be NE, N or NW.

Most cold fronts blow through in 1-2 days, and then you have 4-5 days of SE, S, or SW before the next front.

Yep, but it depends on how strong the front is and how quickly they are moving down also. Used to be a front would keep north winds for 3-5 days, but rarely happens nowdays.

Re: Whatcha think? - 05/06/15 10:37 PM

Beginning to wonder if the wind direction will even matter considering I always place my blind 150+ yds from feeders. Very few elevated position blinds or downwind blinds on this property going back to 2008 aerial views. Perhaps I'm over thinking it, but I just can't see setting up a blind level with the feeder when you can see so much more on a hill side flat.

Re: Whatcha think? - 05/06/15 10:42 PM

Thermals or light variable winds can really make hunting in the hills fun. A tightly sealed blind can help a lot.

Re: Whatcha think? - 05/06/15 10:57 PM

Received several pics from the previous hunters. Long story short: The entire group was booted from the property because of some shady middle man stuff, but a group of 5 were able to come back and hunt on an adjacent property. They've been saying nothing but good things about the property and sick they had to leave because of the "ranch hand". Looks to be some really good deer. What would the score be on these two?
Posted By: Western

Re: Whatcha think? - 05/06/15 11:20 PM

Nice looking prospects there up I think you will be fine where your at the 1st year. I hunted a lease in Sterling for a few years amd I had to use an elevated spot similar to yours, until I got a feel of the place. AM thermals usually help you and at that range, dispersal of scent should help you as well.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Whatcha think? - 05/06/15 11:22 PM

Originally Posted By: titan2232
Perhaps I'm over thinking it

Yes.

Re: Whatcha think? - 05/06/15 11:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
Perhaps I'm over thinking it

Yes.

Just a little pumped about this bud. Night and day difference from the previous 15 years hunting Pumpville.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Whatcha think? - 05/06/15 11:30 PM

Go. Enjoy. Hunt the wind.

Re: Whatcha think? - 05/06/15 11:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
Go. Enjoy. Hunt the wind.

I surely will sir/madam
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: Whatcha think? - 05/10/15 11:07 PM

I surely will sir/madam