Texas Hunting Forum

cottonseed? Good for deer or use other protein?

Posted By: txhunter1010

cottonseed? Good for deer or use other protein? - 04/08/15 09:00 PM

Just wanted to see yalls thoughts on cottonseed
Posted By: hookemhorns

Re: cottonseed? Good for deer or use other protein? - 04/08/15 09:03 PM

I've always been told yes. Waiting to hear more thoughts on this, was planning to put some out this weekend.
Posted By: tlk

Re: cottonseed? Good for deer or use other protein? - 04/08/15 10:39 PM

we started cottonseed 3-4 years ago to supplement our protein. One advantage is that on protein it has to be inside a pen so hogs and livestock cannot get to it. Fawns cannot access it. Cottonseed can be placed anywhere and fawns can feed on it. We saw a good jump in our body weights after we started cottonseed. Just make sure it has been tested for toxins. It is also cheaper than protein
Posted By: j-thames

Re: cottonseed? Good for deer or use other protein? - 04/09/15 02:54 AM

Everything I have read indicates it's is good. You search Google scholar for some research on the subject.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: cottonseed? Good for deer or use other protein? - 04/09/15 03:37 AM

Google gossypol in whole cottonseed. WCS is high in fiber and fat. It can be cheaper but it lacks very critical vitamins, minerals and trace minerals. It is also labor intensive... ie shovel it you do not have a front end loader. To get to the best pricing you will have to contract semi loads of it. By the time you figure in the extra labor and adding minerals you really have not save much. Most ranches will feed it for 2 months post rut if they are feeding it.
Posted By: TakeMeLord

Re: cottonseed? Good for deer or use other protein? - 05/07/15 03:07 AM

I was on a lease years ago in Schleicher County. Landowner was a true rancher and recorded weights of everything: Goats, sheep, cattle, deer, turkeys, EVERYTHING. He began a cottonseed feeding program. Deer weights increased dramatically.
Posted By: John Humbert

Re: cottonseed? Good for deer or use other protein? - 05/07/15 02:32 PM

From what I've been told, hogs and varmints won't eat it - which is a big plus. But it is a BIG pain to deal with, for all the reasons STXRANCHMAN said.
Posted By: don k

Re: cottonseed? Good for deer or use other protein? - 05/07/15 02:39 PM

I have a neighbor that feeds it. I don't really see any difference in the antler quality from those who don't feed it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum