Texas Hunting Forum

Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying?

Posted By: postoak

Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/23/15 04:45 PM

The ones where they make an arrow hit in the heart-lung-shoulder area of the deer and then "back out" and return the next morning? With a hit like that, the deer probably fell within 100 yards, but at any rate is almost certainly dead within 30 minutes.

They are beginning to get their come-uppance though, as I am beginning to see shows where they returned the next morning only to find their deer eaten by coyotes.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/23/15 06:33 PM

I quit watching hunting shows. Too much over the top celebrating and hype, over just shooting a deer, coyote or even a bird.
They have fallen victim to the new reality TV fad of over exaggerated, pre-rehearsed television. Fishing shows are just as bad.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/23/15 06:40 PM

Im like simple searcher, they are not what I grew up watching as a kid. Its one big infomercial, a bunch of fake bs, a 20 minute monolog of some guy driving in his truck out of state and then a few minutes of a shot and then they back out and leave it over night because they don't want to push it, only to find it eaten by scavengers or spoiled just inside the tree line etc.
Posted By: postoak

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/23/15 06:45 PM

My new DVR makes watching these shows possible, as I can fast-forward through the commercials and if I miss the kill shot because I'm surfing on my laptop, I can back things up and rewatch. Otherwise, yeah, they would be hard to put up with.

And yeah, I've never seen so much man-hugging! I grew up where men didn't hug men and I still find it off-putting. It's the same thing on "Gold Rush", especially with the Hoffman crew.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/23/15 08:25 PM

I don't have, nor want, cable. Too much BS and nothing to watch. A big waste of money IMO.
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/23/15 08:47 PM

To much drama for me anymore. I see these shows now portraying how tough life is hunting, having a family, keeping mamma happy, etc... OK already, we get it! You love your wife and kids and all that crap, now kill something!.............. Or, selling you crap that 90% of the time doesn't work or is not necessary.
Posted By: therancher

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/23/15 08:49 PM

DVR is a life changing phenomena. I hardly ever watch a commercial. Always fast forward thru BS. It is probably the highest value feature of tv to me. Incredible how much time it saves.

And yes, hunting shows typically are pretty lame.
Posted By: White Falcon

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/23/15 09:05 PM

I don't watch them any more. They are to far from reality.
Posted By: decook

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/23/15 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
I quit watching hunting shows. Too much over the top celebrating and hype, over just shooting a deer, coyote or even a bird.
They have fallen victim to the new reality TV fad of over exaggerated, pre-rehearsed television. Fishing shows are just as bad.

Or it's a different deer.
confused2
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/23/15 09:35 PM

I do not watch very many at all anymore. Buy a camera, ask for a free hunt, film the hunt, find sponsors and start a TV show seem to be qualifications to have a show these days. Poor quality on most of the shows these day and no real info or anything to learn from them.
Posted By: allterrain

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/23/15 09:36 PM

Here is an example of those video guys who stand on top of a hill half a mile away from a food plot looking thru these 100mm binoculars to see if big boy is out in the food plot. The food plot has a 4 foot bank all the way around it so you can walk up to the food plot from any side and then the camera man will video tape the hunter crawling thru the grass and poking his head up over the bank and shooting the big buck as if he stalked it. All the while his buddies are still up on top of the hill watching the so called hunt take place.
Posted By: Matpk

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/23/15 09:37 PM

Originally Posted By: decook

confused2

Agree with both...Now do I watch these shows or not.????
Posted By: dawaba

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/23/15 09:57 PM

Far worse than the hunting shows on TV is the presence of a film crew and celebrity sharing your hunting camp. Just watch the outfitter, guides, cooks, and wranglers go gaga over the chance of seeing themselves on TV. And you can be sure that the celebrity will hunt the prime stands and locations, often for an animal that has already been scouted (go online an have a look at Colorado Buck's giant Stone sheep). And the celebrity almost always gets a free hunt, while the other hunters in camp have paid full fare for second-class service.

I have shared three hunting camps with hunting show camera crews:

1. Quebec caribou. Archer's Choice (The Choice) with Ralph and Vicky Cianciarulo(Vicki and posse-mate, Dusty, were on this hunt; Ralph was in Alaska).

2. Saskatchewan whitetail. Scrap Yards and Hunters with Will and Mary.

3. Argentina red stag, fallow, and blackbuck. Petersen's Hunting with Brittany Boddington.

In all fairness the Quebec hunt was handled by the outfitter rather fairly, the other two hunts less so. Going forward, I now inquire if there will be a film crew in camp. If so, I won't book a hunt on that date. It's quite unfair to pay $6000+ for a trophy hunt to only be seated in the back of the bus.

Keep that in mind when you're watching a hunting show. In my mind, the whole process just overly commercializes and cheapens the sport of hunting.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/23/15 11:15 PM

If not sending the wrong message, they mostly send a deceiving message. I understand not pushing a deer, letting it lie but waiting until the following morning is simply a ploy to protract out the drama and bait the audience pure and simple, especially on an apparent or obvious kill shot.
Posted By: Beaubien

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/24/15 01:03 AM

It also bugs me when they shoot it in broad daylight and recover it in the dark after it ran 30 yards.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/24/15 01:40 AM

Originally Posted By: dawaba
Far worse than the hunting shows on TV is the presence of a film crew and celebrity sharing your hunting camp. Just watch the outfitter, guides, cooks, and wranglers go gaga over the chance of seeing themselves on TV. And you can be sure that the celebrity will hunt the prime stands and locations, often for an animal that has already been scouted (go online an have a look at Colorado Buck's giant Stone sheep). And the celebrity almost always gets a free hunt, while the other hunters in camp have paid full fare for second-class service.

1. Quebec caribou. Archer's Choice (The Choice) with Ralph and Vicky Cianciarulo(Vicki and posse-mate, Dusty, were on this hunt; Ralph was in Alaska).

3. Argentina red stag, fallow, and blackbuck. Petersen's Hunting with Brittany Boddington.

In all fairness the Quebec hunt was handled by the outfitter rather fairly, the other two hunts less so. Going forward, I now inquire if there will be a film crew in camp. If so, I won't book a hunt on that date. It's quite unfair to pay $6000+ for a trophy hunt to only be seated in the back of the bus.

Keep that in mind when you're watching a hunting show. In my mind, the whole process just overly commercializes and cheapens the sport of hunting.

I've seen plenty of average Joes that pay for their hunt to be filmed act like celebrities. Quite sad.

I too watch very few shows anymore. It helps that most of the time I look on those channels it's usually a guy in a tree holding a pointed stick and whispering spastically into a camera.
Posted By: bp3

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/24/15 01:57 PM

Or a 12-14 year old that hunts all over the world because his dad has more bucks than I could burn in 6 months. I like meet the McMillans because Tom is so funny, and predator nation. rifle
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/24/15 02:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
Originally Posted By: dawaba

I've seen plenty of average Joes that pay for their hunt to be filmed act like celebrities. Quite sad.

A family member went on a hunt last Fall and there were people wanting to film the hunt. One guy that has a hunting show straight up told him to tell them no. He wasn't going to be in camp with anyone else because his guide(s) only had him to focus on in the unit, but the guy with the show said on hunts like that you end up taking some heat for prolonging a hunt looking for something you want vs just trying to get good footage of something decent.
Posted By: 7ARanch

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/24/15 06:59 PM

There was a time when you could actually learn something on the hunting or fishing shows but as has been stated they are now just another infomercial pushing their latest sponsors products.
The one legit show that used to be on was Honey Hole. I know because we sponsored them back in the late 90's early 2000's and I was the one that fished with Jerry Dean as the company spokes person. It was all straight up the same thing as if any of us had gone to the lake. If they weren't biting, you went back out the next day and fished until you had caught enough for to make that weeks show. He did want me to use his sponsors bait but when they weren't hitting it I did what I wanted to. What I did worked and he used that on the show. You don't see that any more.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/24/15 07:02 PM

Still a lot of them I like... plenty of them are dumb.. mostly the ones getting way to professional and paying more attention to presentation and wording/camera angle rather than showing the actual hunt
Posted By: BDB

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/24/15 07:08 PM

It is what it is and as an adult I know what to expect before I watch it. That said...if i'm going to watch a hottie on tv it might as well be one in camo.

These producers today know what catches a mans eye...wink wink.
Posted By: Beaubien

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/24/15 07:29 PM

BDB, couldn't agree more. Tiffany is one of my favorites, there is a blonde whose name escapes me.

I'm in my mid 50's and am still waiting to actually see one of those hotties in the woods. One day it could happen.
Posted By: TonyinVA

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/24/15 07:46 PM

I like seeing big deer...so I watch some of these shows....but I know bs when I see it.

That said, I do enjoy Canadian Whitetail TV...if you haven't seen the show you may find it refreshing.
Posted By: decook

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/24/15 09:53 PM

Originally Posted By: matpk
Originally Posted By: decook

confused2

Agree with both...Now do I watch these shows or not.????

You can if you like. I do on occasion but it is rare.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/24/15 11:11 PM

Originally Posted By: 7ARanch
There was a time when you could actually learn something on the hunting or fishing shows but as has been stated they are now just another infomercial pushing their latest sponsors products.
The one legit show that used to be on was Honey Hole. I know because we sponsored them back in the late 90's early 2000's and I was the one that fished with Jerry Dean as the company spokes person. It was all straight up the same thing as if any of us had gone to the lake. If they weren't biting, you went back out the next day and fished until you had caught enough for to make that weeks show. He did want me to use his sponsors bait but when they weren't hitting it I did what I wanted to. What I did worked and he used that on the show. You don't see that any more.

Actually enjoyed that show.. up
Posted By: N.La.Beagler

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/25/15 08:58 AM

I'd like for them to do a DIY hunt ANYWHERE in north La. No guides with one named and patterned for them. I bet that would be a VERY humbling experience.
Posted By: Western

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/25/15 12:13 PM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
Originally Posted By: 7ARanch

Actually enjoyed that show.. up

Yes sir, that one was good. There was another one I believe local to central and north Texas I liked, but don't recall the name. I believe it was the same fella that did all the DQ commercials in the late 80's? Texas Outdoors, or something like that
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/25/15 01:01 PM

Originally Posted By: TonyinVA
I like seeing big deer...so I watch some of these shows....but I know bs when I see it.

That said, I do enjoy Canadian Whitetail TV...if you haven't seen the show you may find it refreshing.

agreed, they kill monsters up there. i will also watch major league bowhunter, heartland bowhunter and dropped.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/26/15 12:32 AM

Hunting is a personal thing, not meant to be commercialized. In short, hunting and TV don't mix. As Dave said, it cheapens all involved.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/26/15 12:52 AM

Ones I like, meat hunter, own your own, ridge reaper, team elk.

Others I just skim through

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/26/15 12:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Hunting is a personal thing, not meant to be commercialized. In short, hunting and TV don't mix. As Dave said, it cheapens all involved.

Hunting is that to you. Not me.

Some people truely love letting other people experience hunting with them...wether on tv or in person.

Letting someone see places and hunts that some of us may never get to go or hunt is alright in my book.

By painting a broad brush of a cheap commericalized hunting experience what you really painting is your personal view of hunting thus highly limited to yourself. In turn it degrades those that like to share their experiences.

Posted By: LuckyHunter

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/26/15 01:29 AM

I agree the hunting show's today are just a 28 minute infomercial. Stopped watching.I have found a few good DVD's I enjoy.

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/26/15 01:42 AM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Some people truely love letting other people experience hunting with them...wether on tv or in person.

Letting someone see places and hunts that some of us may never get to go or hunt is alright in my book.

By painting a broad brush of a cheap commericalized hunting experience what you really painting is your personal view of hunting thus highly limited to yourself. In turn it degrades those that like to share their experiences.

Well, everything I type is simply my opinion unless stated as factual. Sorry if anyone feels degraded.

There are a few shows I like too. But by and large, IMO, the crass commercialization of hunting is not a good thing. And hunting TV is a leader in the crass commercialization. IMO. It is changing what hunting used to be into something else. IMO. There is little about the true hunting experience that translates well on TV. IMO.

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/26/15 02:04 AM

IYO-

IMO, I want the world to see the good shows also, the ones taking kids hunting, vets, wives, grandfathers, families, dinning on their harvest etc.
If some ex MLB guys want to film a hunt with face paint on cool, maybe it will entice more kids to hunt. Or a NBA wants to make a fishing show, great hunting/fishing is cool, spending time outdoors is cool, getting off the pavement is cool.

As long as they are respectful and lawful I'm good with hunting shows. See nothing wrong with them. In a world of concrete and TV it's nice to see shows like uncharted that capture the culture of worlds most kids don't even know exist.

Agree or disagree TV can also be a away of opening an interest.

There are adults that pop join this forum every day that have never hunted but want to because of what the see and hear via media.

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/26/15 02:08 AM

That's a fine opinion.

I wish more shows were like that. I see very few with any merit-and many with way more negatives that do not reflect hunting and hunters in a positive light. IMO. smile

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/26/15 02:12 AM

I can make a pretty good list.

Regardless it's like Texas trophy hunters mag... Most people in here will say it's all HF deer and breeders yet....last issue I read had more youth hunting stories and vet stories about sub 140 deer then it did big deer
Posted By: REALKILLER

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/26/15 02:40 AM

I always hate to see people whoring out hunting. I hunted ducks before duck hunting was cool. You know when you could legally use lead shot. The shell box had a duck and a pheasant on it. # 4 lead worked good. Now I have quit duck hunting because everybody wants to be the duck commander. You can barely find a freed up piece of water to hunt on. We used to duck hunt on the red river in some flood plain in the 80s and never even heard another shot much less saw anybody else. Bet it aint that way anymore. As for the let lay thing. In east texas you will come back to a bag of bones because the coyotes are ridiculous. Hey if you fill the need go ahead. You may find your deer head at least. Im not a believer in pushing a deer though. Ultimately there is going to be a hole lot of want to be hunters in the woods that would probably be better off on the couch. I don't want them shooting around me. Maybe Im selfish I think being introduced to hunting should be a little more genuine. Id rather hear someone say grandpa taught me how to hunt rather than I saw it on tv. Eventually we will run out of private places to hunt. Everything will be commercialized and you can hold me to that. up
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/26/15 03:59 AM

Regardless it's like Texas trophy hunters mag... Most people in here will say it's all HF deer and breeders yet....last issue I read had more youth hunting stories and vet stories about sub 140 deer then it did big deer

At some point it all just blends together. Can't even tell you the last time I actually thumbed through a EHJ or HF mag without someone telling me to go look at something in one.

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/26/15 01:19 PM

TTH has built its own reputation for being a high fence mag. I don't know if I didn't realize it or not, but I don't remember it being a high fence mag 15 years ago. IT just seemed like a regular hunting magazine back then. I don't even pick pick one up anymore because that's all it is now. Seems more like a deer breeders magazine now days. Thanks TTH magazine. One of the few texas hunting magazines that I used to like now I hate. happy3

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/26/15 01:37 PM

That's true.

But overall the trend towards crass commercialization has been inexorable. As RM said, it is all blended together so much now many folks don't even know the difference anymore.

The hunting shows, TTH magazine, and HFs have all been at the forefront of it. Not every hunting show is Ted Nugent/Wildgame Nation, not every story in TTH is a HF penned hunt, and not every HF place is a canned hunt on 100 acres. But, overall, they have not been good for hunting. IMO.

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/26/15 01:51 PM

Originally Posted By: REALKILLER
TTH has built its own reputation for being a high fence mag. I don't know if I didn't realize it or not, but I don't remember it being a high fence mag 15 years ago. IT just seemed like a regular hunting magazine back then. I don't even pick pick one up anymore because that's all it is now. Seems more like a deer breeders magazine now days. Thanks TTH magazine. One of the few texas hunting magazines that I used to like now I hate. happy3

That's my point... Actually read TTH.. Your perception is based off the advertisements, not the stories.

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/26/15 02:12 PM

That's my point... Actually read TTH.. Your perception is based off the advertisements, not the stories.

The perception is real. They clearly threw their lot in with the HF, breeding, big buck contest crowd years ago. The quintessential "Texas Model" where it's all about the antlers. However you feel about those issues, I don't see how that can be denied. Throwing in a feel good kid story or a predator hunt story every now and then doesn't change that. IMO.

smile

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/26/15 02:34 PM

Like I said NP go grab a couple of issues and start reading.

The perception is manufactured. It's called imprinting a false truth.

Like calling a 20k HF ranch a PEN. Say it enough people believe it.... But I don't have to define that persuasive tactic of propaganda to a lawyer.

Again grab an issue and prove to me that HF and Breeder articles are the majority or even present. You will be pleasantly shocked.

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/26/15 03:02 PM

OK I'll go get one. I'll be shocked if it has changed but you are right I haven't looked at one in a long time.

I will say that what you have already said- that they still have the cover to cover ads for the breeding industry- is enough to make the perception real IMO. No other hunting magazine I am aware of does that.

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/26/15 03:26 PM

OK I'll go get one. I'll be shocked if it has changed but you are right I haven't looked at one in a long time.

I will say that what you have already said- that they still have the cover to cover ads for the breeding industry- is enough to make the perception real IMO. No other hunting magazine I am aware of does that.

So in your opinion advertisements define a show or Magazine not the articles or the shows actual content?

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/26/15 05:54 PM

Hey NP you do know that soldiers run the enemy down if they get by them for the kill all the time. Its a pretty common tactic. I don't believe in loosing when the prize is just a few steps away. Its one of the advantages of hunting off the ground. up

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/26/15 06:04 PM

So in your opinion advertisements define a show or Magazine not the articles or the shows actual content?

My opinion is that TTHA is firmly in bed with the breeder, HF, and contest industry that has come to be such a big part of hunting in Texas. In fact, they were an early leader in the "antler" industry. Don't honestly see how the point could be argued with a straight face.

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/26/15 06:46 PM

Like I said and you acknowledged you base magazines and tv shows via the advertisements not content.

Re: "Fair Chase" What say ye? - 03/26/15 09:47 PM

Well, looked at my TTHA magazine. Cover story is a super high dollar south TX deer. Feature story is a monster from a 1500 acre HF place outside Uvalde. Chock full of breeder, "pay to play", HF contractor ads. Ted Nugent is now a monthly contibutor-I'm shocked. smile

And this bit of wisdom from rifle and ballistics expert Horace Gore on how .30 caliber 180 grain bullets pass right through deer without ever opening up:

About what I expected.

I will give credit where it's due: in the "News" section there were news releases about a group opposed to deer breeding/put-and-take industry ("Texans For Saving Our Hunting Heritage") and B&Cs new resolution disallowing the use of their scoring system on captive/genetically enhanced deer. Kudos to them for including those.

And there were some normal articles on youth hunts, varmint hunts, "feel good" stories, and the like. So definitely not all bad.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: "Fair Chase" What say ye? - 03/26/15 10:04 PM

Well, looked at my TTHA magazine. Cover story is a super high dollar LF C&B Qualifying south TX deer. Feature story is a monster from a 1500 acre HF place outside Uvalde. Chock full of breeder, "pay to play", HF contractor ads. Ted Nugent is now a monthly contibutor-I'm shocked. smile

And this bit of wisdom from rifle and ballistics expert Horace Gore on how .30 caliber 180 grain bullets pass right through deer without ever opening up:

About what I expected.

I will give credit where it's due: in the "News" section there were news releases about a group opposed to deer breeding/put-and-take industry ("Texans For Saving Our Hunting Heritage") and B&Cs new resolution disallowing the use of their scoring system on captive/genetically enhanced deer. Kudos to them for including those.

And there were some normal articles on youth hunts, varmint hunts, "feel good" stories, and the like. So definitely not all bad.

Posted By: elkhunter7x6

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/26/15 10:49 PM

I dont get into hunting or fishing shows anymore.
Posted By: BMD

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/27/15 12:05 AM

popcorn

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/27/15 12:13 AM

Well NP you stepped in to it real good this time... But I expected you to

Actaully cover is a about a LF deer on a ranch that also has lease pasture had several conservative awards.

First article...picking an outftter how to guide!
Second article is about a family that hunts together (7 actually). Not just about deer I might add since it's about a family's quest to own a ranch and promote hunting. Also several family ducks hunting photos. With most pics being women....

Next article a turkey hunting article...ironically that includes the wife. With half those photos being women.

Next article kids FRIST Buck...LF at that... Written by the KID!!!

Next article beginners like luck guy shots first deer with bow on 30 acre ranch.....LF 163"

Next Article Family Hunting tradition ....photo Mom and Son with 120" deer.. Also takes about family hunting together... Mostly momma and kids photos

Next article cover story LF deer!!!!

Next article panhandle turkeys!!!

Next article HF deer( first one).... But it's realy about one mans dream of building a hunting ranch up!!

Next article Nuge with a 130" deer

Next article 40 year TTHA recap

Next article gear review

Next article KIDS and Game cams!!!!!

Next article coyote hunting

Next article werid whitetails (cool article)...albino, piebald and etc ( no HF deer or deer photos over 110)

Next article KIDS deer about 120"

Next article off season handgun shooting

Next article 59 year FIRST deer low fence 79 acres 120"

Next article turkey hunting(written by a female and all female pics)

Next article axis deer hunt

Next article important of picking a caliber that YOU can handle

Next article LF axis

Next article turkey hunting

Next article historical peice on the Louisiana purchase

Next article PERSONAL growth for KIDS

Next article rattling horns..

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/27/15 12:20 AM

Directly kids 4 articles
Directly women 3
Family based hunting 3
First Deer-4

LF deer-9
HF deer- 1 (that doesn't sell hunts!!!!)

Like I said you stepped in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Feel good articles roflmao

I can't even count how many cover stories and article have been published by THFer's in that magazine 99% of them LF deer!!!!!!!!

But again this doesn't fit your anti-HF propaganda agenda nor your agruement so why mention it, right? Especially when you clearly have the magazine for reference!!!!

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/27/15 01:00 AM

One of the greatest article TTH did was on a Deer one of our Hunters had taken on our place, very well written and a great group of guys...very well written and really wanted to get the Story not just the pictures

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/27/15 01:26 AM

I didn't step in jack. I never said the cover story was HF.

Defend TTHA all you want. I said they are not all bad. But they are and have been into the commercialization of hunting for at least 25 years. Period.

Argue all you want. Disagree all you want. Anyone that has been around and has paid attention knows that.

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/27/15 01:44 AM

Quote:
Well, looked at my TTHA magazine. Cover story is a super high dollar south TX deer. Feature story is a monster from a 1500 acre HF place outside Uvalde. Chock full of breeder, "pay to play"

Choke full of breeders means= Ironically on deer and one ranch and that doesn't sell hunts, where the story was actually about the dream of ranch ownership lol

And the LOW FENCE cover story was a once in a lifetime gift hunt his family bought for him on a ranch that also sub leases pastures out

I find it funny that a magazine you are dogging and say is all about HFing and breeder deer has more story's about women, kids and sub 150 deer then anything else.... And a good chunck of the deer taken in the mag where sub 100 acres LF properties.

You also missed the part that a big chuck of the articles where SUBMITTED stories, by members.

It's ok, it's mudbug season

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/27/15 02:04 AM

That's true.

But overall the trend towards crass commercialization has been inexorable. As RM said, it is all blended together so much now many folks don't even know the difference anymore.

The hunting shows, TTH magazine, and HFs have all been at the forefront of it. Not every hunting show is Ted Nugent/Wildgame Nation, not every story in TTH is a HF penned hunt, and not every HF place is a canned hunt on 100 acres. But, overall, they have not been good for hunting. IMO.

The subject is commercialization. HF is only a part. Here's my original post on the subject. You have to make up stuff I didn't say to even argue about it.

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/27/15 02:13 AM

Great so there was 1 commerical based hunt in TTH this month....that means they commercialize hunting...the other 10 are just feel good right????? Not promoting youth hunting not promoting women hunting and not promoting family hunting....

I supported my opinion in my orginal post with fact.

Now...

Focus on the content not the advertisements and have a good night sir it's my bed time.
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/27/15 02:17 AM

You guys need to get out and see some sunshine!
Posted By: 68A

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/27/15 02:33 AM

Last hunting show i seriously watched was a video for the tree lounge back in the early 90's. It was an older couple, actually a decent video as far as real hunting was concerned. wore out that vhs tape.

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/27/15 02:42 AM

clap

roflmao

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/27/15 02:43 AM

7ARanch is the Gentleman still around that filmed that show Sir

Re: "Fair Chase" What say ye? - 03/27/15 02:51 AM

Well I know a lil red head that has been in multiple issues and the cover and nothing high dollar about shooting a deer off a regular Joe ship the rag man lease. They have been very good to Kacee over the years and for no other reason than her being a kid. Gotta like that.

Re: "Fair Chase" What say ye? - 03/27/15 03:08 AM

Originally Posted By: BMD
Well I know a lil red head that has been in multiple issues and the cover and nothing high dollar about shooting a deer off a regular Joe ship the rag man lease. They have been very good to Kacee over the years and for no other reason than her being a kid. Gotta like that.

Truly great guys and really seem to care about the Story not just the Pictures ...
As with Churches, Buisness's or anything there is good and bad..but I enjoyed the approach they took to cover one of our senior Hunters Animal and we are low fenced. (Not that it matters but to a few ) Unlike some that stand on a Pedestal claim to be Mr Ethical Old School but are associated with Breeding Operations

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/27/15 09:52 AM

Ii think the perception for me and other people on the magazine is that for over a long period of time they have built up the reputation of being a HF mag buy possibly just their covers themselves. Lets say a dozen years ago I worked at a bow shop and struggled to sell one particular product and it was mostly because of its exterior coating. It was the PSE compound bows. They just wouldn't change the damn paint. They kept the same bland camo for years. This caused people to walk right buy them and go to the Mathews. Mathews had just come out with the SQ,FX, ect series bows and had a new exterior camo coating. Not to mention the PSE bows had the same ol heavy risers, older style limbs, and those ugly plastic grips. Even when they did come out with a solo cam it was heavy and had the same ol damned camo paint. We actually talked to PSE about this and they said they were struggling for a new design. We explained to PSE that it was hurting their sales. So my point is that when I walk buy or any other random person walks buy TTH mags we look at the cover and see a ridiculously huge deer on it or some write ups about this that or the other and we automatically pass it up because it said TTH on the front of it. Its a long term effect thing. I don't expect them to change their name I just wont buy one. Maybe their new years resolution was to start getting back to the basic hunter this year. The last time I picked one up was at wal mart lets say two deer seasons ago. I did this because it had a natural sized deer on the front cover with an average joe looking hunter holding it up. I scanned pass a lot of HF stuff to get to that right up and read a portion of it while my wife was shopping and set it back on the shelf. The one LF right up wasn't worth me buying a magazine full of sales for huge feeders, huntin buggies, and big velvetine deer. Just didn't interest me. Im sure TTH is doing just fine without my purchase. up

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/27/15 09:58 AM

Ive seen that tree lounge video. Ive actually owned one of the stands. It was huge and I sold it to a friend. He loves it. He sleeps in it. smile

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/27/15 04:44 PM

Ii think the perception for me and other people on the magazine is that for over a long period of time they have built up the reputation of being a HF mag buy possibly just their covers themselves. Lets say a dozen years ago I worked at a bow shop and struggled to sell one particular product and it was mostly because of its exterior coating. It was the PSE compound bows. They just wouldn't change the damn paint. They kept the same bland camo for years. This caused people to walk right buy them and go to the Mathews. Mathews had just come out with the SQ,FX, ect series bows and had a new exterior camo coating. Not to mention the PSE bows had the same ol heavy risers, older style limbs, and those ugly plastic grips. Even when they did come out with a solo cam it was heavy and had the same ol damned camo paint. We actually talked to PSE about this and they said they were struggling for a new design. We explained to PSE that it was hurting their sales. So my point is that when I walk buy or any other random person walks buy TTH mags we look at the cover and see a ridiculously huge deer on it or some write ups about this that or the other and we automatically pass it up because it said TTH on the front of it. Its a long term effect thing. I don't expect them to change their name I just wont buy one. Maybe their new years resolution was to start getting back to the basic hunter this year. The last time I picked one up was at wal mart lets say two deer seasons ago. I did this because it had a natural sized deer on the front cover with an average joe looking hunter holding it up. I scanned pass a lot of HF stuff to get to that right up and read a portion of it while my wife was shopping and set it back on the shelf. The one LF right up wasn't worth me buying a magazine full of sales for huge feeders, huntin buggies, and big velvetine deer. Just didn't interest me. Im sure TTH is doing just fine without my purchase. up

That is BS my daughter was on the cover more than two years ago I think you guys see what you want to see instead of what is truly in the magazine or on the cover.

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/27/15 04:51 PM

Notice the date a lot more than just couple years ago.

These are just a couple of the times she was in it another full story on her oryx hunt and numerous photos in game poll they are good to kids, have to have advertisement to pay the bills, just have look to see the good instead of concentrating on the bad.

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/27/15 05:37 PM

Ive seen normal hunting pictures and some outrageous deer pictures on the front of the magazine over the years. I kind of wonder what the drop tine secret revealed topic is about on that magazine. Ive heard of deer breeders shooting deer in velvet with rat shot .22 rounds at the antlers for some extra non typical growth. And that was right out of the deer breeders mouth. Somebody might want to start checking deer antlers with metal detectors. I know that in a natural scenario a deer doesn't always carry a drop season after season. It can be a genetic thing, an injury to the body, or injury to the velvet antler creating abnormal growth. Ive killed 5 drop tine bucks and they were all low fence free range bucks in east texas. Wasn't no secret about that. Ive only seen 8 of them in my life and I killed 5, a friend killed one and the other 2 got away from me. No secrets there. They were wild and free. smile
Posted By: DH 1

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/27/15 06:18 PM

When over 85% of the show is commercials and some of the shows have 7+ sponsors, I have to go somewhere else for entertainment. I am patiently waiting for the day that TTH publishes an article about some guys that sleep in a tent, hunt low fence and kill a 6 point that scores 90 points.

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/27/15 06:27 PM

Im not trying to take away from your daughters right ups and all of that at all. Ive had writers call me and want to publish pictures and writings on deer and fish that I have killed. I have been in Tx sportsman and a bow hunting news paper. I even have made the local paper a couple times with big fish. If it makes you feel better. smile

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/27/15 07:02 PM

Im not trying to take away from your daughters right ups and all of that at all. Ive had writers call me and want to publish pictures and writings on deer and fish that I have killed. I have been in Tx sportsman and a bow hunting news paper. I even have made the local paper a couple times with big fish. If it makes you feel better. smile

Lol I am defending the magazine everyone wants to bash them for advertising my point is they are willing and do a great job with regular hunt stories more than the hf stuff most the guys whining flip through and look advertisement and don't bother to read. They just assume. And you know how that works out.
Posted By: tlk

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/29/15 01:36 AM

Lol I am defending the magazine everyone wants to bash them for advertising my point is they are willing and do a great job with regular hunt stories more than the hf stuff most the guys whining flip through and look advertisement and don't bother to read. They just assume. And you know how that works out.

BMD - your daughters articles and hunts are real and awesome. I killed a 201 low fence deer in 2009 and was featured in a TH magazine article. I have subscribed for years. But the public and customers rule and there is no denying that the magazine has changed and the perception is it has become a breeder/HF publication. Right or wrong that is the perception so that becomes reality

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/29/15 02:03 PM

Originally Posted By: tlk

BMD - your daughters articles and hunts are real and awesome. I killed a 201 low fence deer in 2009 and was featured in a TH magazine article. I have subscribed for years. But the public and customers rule and there is no denying that the magazine has changed and the perception is it has become a breeder/HF publication. Right or wrong that is the perception so that becomes reality

Unforntunantly the perception comes from it just being big arse deer, not where those deer actually came from.

Most people on this thread would assumed your deer was as a HF/breeder deer because it was big(in any mag publication)..... Thus they will never read the article. Hell you see it on this forum all the time. Any deer over 150 someone opens their mouth and inserts their foot and asked or makes a sly comment about it being a HF deer.

Just for kicks I counted the advertisements in last months TTH to see what was the most prevalent...1st place-deer feeders and blinds....second place deer feed(protien and corn distributors).....

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/29/15 02:07 PM

Originally Posted By: DH 1
When over 85% of the show is commercials and some of the shows have 7+ sponsors, I have to go somewhere else for entertainment. I am patiently waiting for the day that TTH publishes an article about some guys that sleep in a tent, hunt low fence and kill a 6 point that scores 90 points.

There was two this past month. One on 70acres and one on I think 30 acres....

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/29/15 06:28 PM

Exactly.

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/29/15 06:46 PM

Exactly.

Let me post a LF 170 plus inch on this forum and see how long it takes for some one to post HF or $$$$$

So I guess the real perception is big deer only come from on HF. Ask TLK how many HF or $$$$ comments he got on that post.........

It blows my mind how that can actually be the perception of TTH when I just proved the extent of HF and breeder articles. This issue isn't an isolated example either...he'll pick up one from 10 years ago.

It just goes to show the shallow perception of some.

Being bored I went and looked at the nov 2014 issue.... Not one article on a HF deer....
Posted By: BOONER

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/29/15 10:24 PM

No HF articles? How many articles are there about regular joes that don't make 250k per year? How many articles were there that weren't on a paid for hunt on a big [censored] ranch?

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/29/15 10:38 PM

Originally Posted By: BOONER
No HF articles? How many articles are there about regular joes that don't make 250k per year? How many articles were there that weren't on a paid for hunt on a big [censored] ranch?

Articles more advertisement not, the articles are majority about regular joes but the perception is hf due the advertising. But you already have it perceived the other way so no way are you going to change your mind.

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/29/15 10:42 PM

9 this month with two articles about deer taken from under 80 acres places.

Only one article was a paid/outfitted ranch...that ranch also leases pastures.

And the feature articles in Nov where a GW's deer(Grayson co) and a deer off a place in rains county...

Hummmm that kind of backfired didn't it... Ironically both also featured on THF....

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/29/15 10:47 PM

Articles more advertisement not, the articles are majority about regular joes but the perception is hf due the advertising. But you already have it perceived the other way so no way are you going to change your mind.

Starting to think only a few people read on this thread.... How much clearer can I be?
Posted By: tlk

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/30/15 01:43 AM

You hit the nail on the head - the heavy breeding advertising does give the perception of HF periodical
Posted By: LuckyHunter

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/30/15 03:06 AM

Starting to think only a few people read on this thread.... How much clearer can I be?

I guess one thing is for sure. The people that hate HF look at the pictures "advertising" more than read the articles.

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/30/15 03:18 AM

They only read what they want to read...

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/30/15 12:57 PM

And the feature articles in Nov where a GW's deer(Grayson co) and a deer off a place in rains county...

Hummmm that kind of backfired didn't it... Ironically both also featured on THF....

No I don't guess it did. I quit getting the magazine years ago so I will admit that I guess I am WRONG. I got online and found an article about BMDs girl and that's the extent of my TTHs mag experience for several years now.

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/30/15 01:38 PM

Maybe TTH should come out with a LF mag only and we wouldn't be questioning the pics and articles in the mag as much. That would probably clear things up. I know that sponsors help pay the bills, but I could do without all that flash too. You know big [censored] unpractical feeders, High dollar buggies, and deer that just don't hang out in my woods. They could keep it under 200 inches with an occasional non tip that breaks out of the 200 in mark. Ive got a friend that makes extra huntin money by guiding deer hunts on a high fence ranch. He sometimes tries to show me the bucks they kill in that fence and I say now you know I don't give a [censored] about those phoney [censored] deer. One time he said look at this 400 inch deer. I said that's some [censored]. He said, but he killed it with a bow. I said I don't give a [censored] how he killed it. I don't want to be around HF, look at HF stuff, and I don't want HF people looking at the deer killed because their brain is so throwed off they don't even know what real is anymore. The weird thing is that my friend doesn't even hunt high fence and is a die hard bow hunter. His biggest buck is a 127 inch 8 point. That's reality. up Oh ya the guy that owns that ranch shoots deer in velvet with22 rat shot to grow bigger non tips, and also got arrested for smuggling out of state deer into Texas and mix breeding them. Sounds like a dirty world that the White Tail just doesn't deserve. My buddy that is a guide said its all about the money money money! smile

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/30/15 01:40 PM

Deer I Killed

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/30/15 01:57 PM

No I don't guess it did. I quit getting the magazine years ago so I will admit that I guess I am WRONG. I got online and found an article about BMDs girl and that's the extent of my TTHs mag experience for several years now.

Actually some pretty good articles in there. What a lot of people forget is 90% of the articles are submitted by members like BMD's daughter, TLk, RTP, iluvbigbucks etc.

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/30/15 02:01 PM

Maybe TTH should come out with a LF mag only and we wouldn't be questioning the pics and articles in the mag as much. That would probably clear things up. I know that sponsors help pay the bills, but I could do without all that flash too. You know big [censored] unpractical feeders, High dollar buggies, and deer that just don't hang out in my woods. They could keep it under 200 inches with an occasional non tip that breaks out of the 200 in mark. Ive got a friend that makes extra huntin money by guiding deer hunts on a high fence ranch. He sometimes tries to show me the bucks they kill in that fence and I say now you know I don't give a [censored] about those phoney [censored] deer. One time he said look at this 400 inch deer. I said that's some [censored]. He said, but he killed it with a bow. I said I don't give a [censored] how he killed it. I don't want to be around HF, look at HF stuff, and I don't want HF people looking at the deer killed because their brain is so throwed off they don't even know what real is anymore. The weird thing is that my friend doesn't even hunt high fence and is a die hard bow hunter. His biggest buck is a 127 inch 8 point. That's reality. up Oh ya the guy that owns that ranch shoots deer in velvet with22 rat shot to grow bigger non tips, and also got arrested for smuggling out of state deer into Texas and mix breeding them. Sounds like a dirty world that the White Tail just doesn't deserve. My buddy that is a guide said its all about the money money money! smile

I stopped reading this due to the censered words. Kind of looses its point.

Don't know what else to say to editions = 20 articles and only one was a HF deer. On top of that majority where sub 150" deer.

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/30/15 04:51 PM

My point is that Ive seen enough dirty crap that goes on in the HF world that I cant even think about agreeing with any of it. So if I see a hint of HF in a magazine or video I don't want any part of it. If TTH magazine would start up a low fence only magazine it might turn some heads. Ive got another one for you. I know greentruck man that is in the administration portion of the state GWs. One day this HF dude pulled the GW over at a stop sign and got out and told the GW that he was fixing to get hammered by the state because he got caught artificially inseminating white tails with some exotic semen creating some form of beastly deer. The GW said I already told you that you couldn't do this and that you are going to get in trouble for doing it. He also said there is nothing I can do for you and you are in the wrong. This is another reason why I don't like HF. It wont be long and there wont be any natural native deer because of inner breeding and deer getting out of fences. Go south of San Antonio and this is probably already happened. up

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/30/15 05:00 PM

My point is that Ive seen enough dirty crap that goes on in the HF world that I cant even think about agreeing with any of it. So if I see a hint of HF in a magazine or video I don't want any part of it. If TTH magazine would start up a low fence only magazine it might turn some heads. Ive got another one for you. I know greentruck man that is in the administration portion of the state GWs. One day this HF dude pulled the GW over at a stop sign and got out and told the GW that he was fixing to get hammered by the state because he got caught artificially inseminating white tails with some exotic semen creating some form of beastly deer. The GW said I already told you that you couldn't do this and that you are going to get in trouble for doing it. He also said there is nothing I can do for you and you are in the wrong. This is another reason why I don't like HF. It wont be long and there wont be any natural native deer because of inner breeding and deer getting out of fences. Go south of San Antonio and this is probably already happened. up

No you've seen breeder issues not HF issues. Breeder and HF aren't interchangeable nor are they the same.

Also hate to break it to you but by 1940 there was only one pure genetic native herd in North America and that's the King. You can thank restocking, over hunting and screw worms.....not HF. But HF did help the restocking efforts.

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/30/15 05:12 PM

Actually some pretty good articles in there. What a lot of people forget is 90% of the articles are submitted by members like BMD's daughter, TLk, RTP, iluvbigbucks etc.

Ok Bobo I'm gonna check them out again.

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/30/15 05:14 PM

Well, everything I type is simply my opinion unless stated as factual. Sorry if anyone feels degraded.

There are a few shows I like too. But by and large, IMO, the crass commercialization of hunting is not a good thing. And hunting TV is a leader in the crass commercialization. IMO. It is changing what hunting used to be into something else. IMO. There is little about the true hunting experience that translates well on TV. IMO.

Couldn't possibly agree more with BoBo.

And your opinions are fine even though I don't agree with them all.

Hunting just like EVERYTHING IN THE WORLD is changing. Wanting anything to stay the same is a futile want IMO.

Here's where I disagree with you. "There is little about the true hunting experience that translates well on TV. IMO." And in your defense, you stated it was IYO. But where it goes south is that you are trying paste your opinion on what is "true" on others. We all have a slightly/to drastically different opinion of what a "true hunting experience is".

Some of us just don't have the need to impose our opinion to define hunting for others.

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/30/15 05:15 PM

Booner- fair enough!!! Thank you for having an open mind!

cheers

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/30/15 05:17 PM

I stopped reading this due to the censered words. Kind of looses its point.

Don't know what else to say to editions = 20 articles and only one was a HF deer. On top of that majority where sub 150" deer.

Really, Realkiller? You get all your HF info from your "buddy". There are plenty of legit HFs operations. Way more good ones than bad!

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/30/15 05:40 PM

I didn't step in jack. I never said the cover story was HF.

Defend TTHA all you want. I said they are not all bad. But they are and have been into the commercialization of hunting for at least 25 years. Period.

Argue all you want. Disagree all you want. Anyone that has been around and has paid attention knows that.

"It seems that there are some on here that can't stand to be disagreed with" - NP

roflmao

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/30/15 06:01 PM

Originally Posted By: DH 1

So.... a phone call is a "phony" experience if it's not done on a rotary dial too???

Things change folks. If businesses (mags and shows) don't stay current then they fail. A nostalgic article/episode is cool sometimes. But it won't ever be the bread and butter anymore.

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/30/15 06:37 PM

You'll have to forgive me its just not my way. smile

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/31/15 12:35 AM

That's me on the Red River flood plain in about 1987. That's when Phil Robertson was just making wooden duck calls and was not so famous. You could actually go duck hunting and not see any other duck hunters. Now they're everywhere thanks to TV. smile
Posted By: rattler03

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/31/15 02:17 AM

That's me on the Red River flood plain in about 1987. That's when Phil Robertson was just making wooden duck calls and was not so famous. You could actually go duck hunting and not see any other duck hunters. Now they're everywhere thanks to TV. smile

I don't see what's bad about that. I think its great that more people are getting into duck hunting and hunting in general. IMO, we need more hunters, not less hunters. Not everyone grows up in a hunting family, and I think one of the many positive outcomes of the Duck Dynasty show is that it exposes the general public to hunting and some people that probably would never have hunted get into the sport. As a side, I also like they are so open about their Christian faith.

By the way, these "new" hunters have just as much right to be out on that river as you do, just because you were there first doesn't mean its yours and yours alone.

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/31/15 03:04 AM

Originally Posted By: rattler03

I don't see what's bad about that. I think its great that more people are getting into duck hunting and hunting in general. IMO, we need more hunters, not less hunters. Not everyone grows up in a hunting family, and I think one of the many positive outcomes of the Duck Dynasty show is that it exposes the general public to hunting and some people that probably would never have hunted get into the sport. As a side, I also like they are so open about their Christian faith.

By the way, these "new" hunters have just as much right to be out on that river as you do, just because you were there first doesn't mean its yours and yours alone.

Nooo no no... you don't understand. RK has an entitlement mentality. He "found it first"! Doesn't want to share (even though it's not his to lord over). And he wants to define what is "real" hunting for everyone else.

He couldn't care less about the success of individuals/families like the Robertsons who have done more for the hunting/outdoor lifestyle than anyone in recent history. It's all about RK and the fact that he can't hoard his hunting for free anymore!

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/31/15 10:53 AM

Try telling that to a bunch of old die hard duck hunters that can barely find a freed up piece of water to hunt. What about the ducks? I sure hope they have learned how to lay more eggs. You know a coyote will have more offspring in heavily hunted conditions, up to five pups, so that they don't go extinct. Hope the ducks have done the same. Im not a greedy person, but I don't go out hunting just so that I can get in the same traffic jam and stair at a bunch of [censored] people that I could of seen in town. I go hunting to get away from hunters and people and enjoy the peace and quiet. I don't duck hunt anymore. Remember when lead poisoning killed out the ducks. Now overpopulated steel shot will take its place. up The ducks don't need my help getting shot. I shot enough ducks when I was a kid that I don't care If I shoot another duck ever again. smile

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/31/15 12:08 PM

Ive got another one for you. There are so many duck hunters on the lakes during duck season lining the banks that the ducks cant land without getting shot at. The ducks will actually wad up in the middle of the lake and just sit there because they are tired of flying around and cant find a safe place to land. I just hope that dabblers learn how to become divers, because if they don't they might starve to death. The wave of the future for duck hunting is going to be private reservoirs. When I hunted Ducks, they did not do this they just flew the banks and landed. Must be because of too many duck hunters. up

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/31/15 12:41 PM

Ive got another one for you. There are so many duck hunters on the lakes during duck season lining the banks that the ducks cant land without getting shot at. The ducks will actually wad up in the middle of the lake and just sit there because they are tired of flying around and cant find a safe place to land. I just hope that dabblers learn how to become divers, because if they don't they might starve to death. The wave of the future for duck hunting is going to be private reservoirs. When I hunted Ducks, they did not do this they just flew the banks and landed. Must be because of too many duck hunters. up

Lol, that's a tall windy one... FYI ducks have always rafted up to loath. I usually duck hunt in 3 states a year sometimes four. I use to hunt with lead also. I also know the old point system well. Puddlers becoming divers to not starve to death... loco no where to land due to to many hunters lining the banks... loco

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/31/15 01:31 PM

I don't recall ducks orbiting the atmosphere in large rotations and then dumping down in the middle of the lake. When I duck hunted back in the day I never saw this kind of activity. Latly I hear duck hunters complaining about it more and more. Yes they do splash down occasionally on the banks, but with a lot less comfort. Maybe I just hunted were no one else did and they didn't have to do this were we hunted. I did see them fly in formations at high altitudes before and after shooting hours coming and going to roost. In the mornings they would just break off and circle till they found some comfortable shallow water, usually being on the banks. Now a group of divers would land in the middle of the lake and feed, but they were divers. We didn't hunt divers and rarely saw them. Ive seen grouped up ducks in the middle of a lake during duck season that wernt divers and wernt feeding recently, so were they just taking a break or staying away from heavy hunting pressure? Why not just land on the banks? I never saw this, maybe because we mostly hunted back water. We did hunt caddo a lot and I never saw it there either. scratch
Posted By: Fishercounty

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/31/15 02:32 PM

Originally Posted By: 68A
Last hunting show i seriously watched was a video for the tree lounge back in the early 90's. It was an older couple, actually a decent video as far as real hunting was concerned. wore out that vhs tape.
I think I used to watch the same video, were they hunting some pretty swampy areas? Loved that tape lol. Dont watch much tv so I haven't seen a lot these new shows everyone is talking about. Back before tv shows they actually used to make "hunting" videos for sportsmen.

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 03/31/15 02:45 PM

I still have all my old vhs hunting tapes and I have 3 working vhs players. I kick back and watch one every once in a while. Ball and powder southern style and Invading big buck bedding areas are my favorite. Roger raglan is one bad sucker, and the ball and powder guy is cool to cant remember his name right now, and was it allen altizer that used to arrow those deer with wooden bows at 5 yards. Those dudes worked hard for some good footage. smile

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 04/01/15 03:36 AM

Lol, that's a tall windy one... FYI ducks have always rafted up to loath. I usually duck hunt in 3 states a year sometimes four. I use to hunt with lead also. I also know the old point system well. Puddlers becoming divers to not starve to death... loco no where to land due to to many hunters lining the banks... loco

I have found that a stiff shot of RealKiller goes down much better with a little "theme from Deliverance" chaser...

wink
Posted By: vanndchi

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 04/02/15 01:41 AM

I like Bucks of Tecomate and Brush Country Monsters. Real tree is ok too. But, getting cheesey
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? - 04/03/15 02:47 PM

I like the Realtree,'Monster bucks' series.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum