Texas Hunting Forum

acorns

Posted By: Ramsey

acorns - 03/23/15 01:40 AM

I have several trees at my home that drop acorns. Would it be worth while to put them in feeder pen in the fall?
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: acorns - 03/23/15 04:44 AM

Depends on if you have oaks near your feeder. My FIL does this near New Braunfels and the deer love them. Some of the neighbors gather red oak acorns in buckets and give them to him for his lease. There are so many deer in the neighborhood they try and discourage the deer from hanging out. Good luck with that.
Posted By: Western

Re: acorns - 03/23/15 11:19 AM

I did that once when we had a lease outside Sterling that had no Oaks. They would clean them up post hast, I couldn't get enough to manage to hunt them though, seemed like if you dumped out 10#'s, they where gone by morning. My buddy at the time wanted to try putting some in his feeder, but we never got around to it, may be an idea worth trying IDK.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: acorns - 03/23/15 04:25 PM

I have tried it several times, outside the feed pen they are gone in a day or two inside the feed pen the rot away.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: acorns - 03/24/15 11:58 PM

We had so many on the ground this year they did not touch them for a while...not even the hogs. Past years I have taken them out and they are generally gone the next morning.
Posted By: C3 guide

Re: acorns - 03/25/15 04:35 AM

We did it as kids. We sold the ones we gathered at a feed store in San Angelo. They would call my dad asking for more. We were in Bronte at the time. The deer would eat them like a fat kid on Oreos... I've always wanted to harvest them again just never have got around to it. Just to try it out..
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum