Texas Hunting Forum

Help Me Pick A Spot

Posted By: Taylor202

Help Me Pick A Spot - 03/04/15 04:39 PM

Hey guys, so here is a layout of the 30 ish acres I hunt in Whitney. We are finally starting to see good deer since they neighbors no longer hunt and shoot anything with horns.

Here is the google earth screenshot and ive made a little map. Currently I am set up in a tree stand overlooking my feeder on that pipeline, Im curious if I should move to one of the other locations I circled in yellow, thoughts?

Posted By: YellowDog

Re: Help Me Pick A Spot - 03/04/15 04:44 PM

Need North South directions. Wind direction is a big concern
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Help Me Pick A Spot - 03/04/15 04:47 PM

Assuming bow only..I'd do some slight lane clearing and set up a rifle stand way up in the air above the 3rd dash on the North end of the pipeline.
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Help Me Pick A Spot - 03/04/15 04:51 PM

On a small tract like that I would make sure I could get in and out of my stand without having to walk through the entire tract of land. Assuming N to S pic I would put my stand on the edge of the right a way to cover more ground. Probably where I could see both open areas coming off each side.

Re: Help Me Pick A Spot - 03/04/15 04:58 PM

Top is north, bottom is south
Posted By: PMK

Re: Help Me Pick A Spot - 03/04/15 05:56 PM

rifle or bow?

For rifle I would go on the east (right) side of the pipeline towards the northern portion right below the L of "Lots of deer crossing" ... appears to give the greatest coverage.

Re: Help Me Pick A Spot - 03/04/15 06:14 PM

Bow pref, unless it's close to the end of the season with no luck
Posted By: John Humbert

Re: Help Me Pick A Spot - 03/04/15 06:28 PM

So currently you have the feeder right on the property line and your stand right next to it? I would move the feeder down the lane to almost the center of the property - just north of the pond where there is a little pocket and it opens up off the lane to either side. Don't worry about the current trails, those will change once the feeder is relocated.

Then you have LOTS of options to setup for bow hunting. On each of the "points" of brush need the feeder, depending on the wind - or even along the open areas leading to the feeder (because these will quickly become the new lanes).

For rifle, you can now setup far away on the edge or property line, shooting back into the property towards the feeder.

In either case, you should have an access path to where you sit, away from the deer trail, depending on the wind and the direction they come in - although sometimes you might have to walk the long way around.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Help Me Pick A Spot - 03/04/15 06:49 PM

I wouldn't set up on the property line. Aside from the ethical reasoning just from the point of shot animals jumping the fence.

Re: Help Me Pick A Spot - 03/04/15 07:00 PM

I don't know how to mark on your map but I would quite different than what you have or have proposed.

Re: Help Me Pick A Spot - 03/04/15 07:10 PM

Originally Posted By: passthru
I don't know how to mark on your map but I would quite different than what you have or have proposed.

What would you do, keep in mind at the very bottom of the picture is the house

Re: Help Me Pick A Spot - 03/04/15 07:31 PM

Just north of the house there is a dog leg clearing that has a little clear trail from where you show a deer trail down into it. There is a spot there I would try to set a feeder and stand up. Understand I'm looking at it from a bowhunter pov. But I think you could work it where you could locate a rifle stand further south, just north of the house in that clearing, to allow for a rifle stand as well. I like where those trees jut out to a point. That often makes for a good stand regardless of a feeder. But if you set the feeder just southwest of that point and set a ladder/tripod/lockon stand in that point of trees it would give you a wind advantage most of the season.

Re: Help Me Pick A Spot - 03/04/15 07:41 PM

are you talking about the brushy area I labeled or south of that?
Two dogs legs lol

Re: Help Me Pick A Spot - 03/04/15 07:57 PM

The unmarked clearing just NW of the house. The opening ties back into the pipeline RoW just above the pond on the west side of the RoW. If you cut straight west of the pond, skip over that first row of trees on the edge of the RoW the go straight across the clearing to that point of trees on the south side of that tree line . . .
Posted By: Beaubien

Re: Help Me Pick A Spot - 03/04/15 08:22 PM

I like the "possible area" on the nw side. I would put a stand in the clump of trees in between the crossing and the feeder.
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Help Me Pick A Spot - 03/04/15 09:06 PM

Re: Help Me Pick A Spot - 03/04/15 10:11 PM

Yeah Im thinking of moving the feeder to the northwest side this weekend. Im wondering if i should have the corn and protein feeder side by side or spread out.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Help Me Pick A Spot - 03/04/15 10:19 PM

Id move it forward about 50yrds were you can see inside the other cut to the right
Posted By: txbobcat

Re: Help Me Pick A Spot - 03/04/15 10:38 PM

Feeder on corner of property line is a bad idea.

Re: Help Me Pick A Spot - 03/04/15 11:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Pope&Young

That's a long way for a bow
Posted By: LittleD

Re: Help Me Pick A Spot - 03/05/15 12:44 AM

According to your deer trails that you have marked and the stand location you have currently marked you are close to where you need to be,going by where Pope& Young colored in the Blue Feeder I would if you are Bowhunting move it back to the west just a bit between the small clump of trees and the bigger set of trees ,that way you can set up two different stands one for North or one for south wind.
Posted By: txbobcat

Re: Help Me Pick A Spot - 03/05/15 02:09 AM

How do you ever recover a deer shot with a bow on your property?

Re: Help Me Pick A Spot - 03/05/15 02:11 AM

Originally Posted By: txbobcat
How do you ever recover a deer shot with a bow on your property?

Easy? I said that I am cool with the neighbors, they let me stalk hunt on their places all the time

Re: Help Me Pick A Spot - 03/05/15 02:16 AM

Well I guess hunting the fence lines is not an issue so the spots you picked are good. I would put a protein feeder by the pond if you put one up.

Re: Help Me Pick A Spot - 03/05/15 02:21 AM

Well I guess hunting the fence lines is not an issue so the spots you picked are good. I would put a protein feeder by the pond if you put one up.

Ok, im heading out this weekend to put the protein feeder up

Re: Help Me Pick A Spot - 03/05/15 02:26 AM

Are pigs an issue in your area?

Re: Help Me Pick A Spot - 03/05/15 03:11 PM

Are pigs an issue in your area?

They come and go, I shoot them when I see them. Killed two already this year

Re: Help Me Pick A Spot - 03/05/15 04:25 PM

Well an unfenced protein feeder is a pig magnet and a money pit.
Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: Help Me Pick A Spot - 03/07/15 01:41 AM

Were do you access the property from how do you get to your stand?
Posted By: fsevin

Re: Help Me Pick A Spot - 03/10/15 12:50 AM

I'd look to be in the trees just west of the water, to keep an eye on the water, AND see up and down the pipeline, probably with the feeder across the pipeline for bow hunting.

Re: Help Me Pick A Spot - 03/11/15 02:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Txhunter65
Were do you access the property from how do you get to your stand?

I usually walk down the pipeline
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum