Texas Hunting Forum

Deer caught in hog trap

Posted By: Birdog62

Deer caught in hog trap - 02/19/15 08:33 PM

We have a hog trap set out and checked it this morning. Had a yearling buck caught in the trap. He had to have crawled in to get himself caught. Anyway, back to my question. He knocked both of his antlers off at the bases. One looks like it was pretty close to dropping but the other one has a pretty large bone spur attached to it. Will it grow back normal or deformed. We opened the gate and he ran out across the 40 acre wheat field and jumped the fence on the far side. He wasn't in the trap more than 6-8 hours at the very most.
Posted By: Russ79

Re: Deer caught in hog trap - 02/19/15 09:01 PM

Breaking off hard antlers will not hurt them or deform their next antler growth. Bucks breaks antlers all the time during rut. Now if he had damaged them while in velvet that would be a different story.
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: Deer caught in hog trap - 02/19/15 10:28 PM

I believe if the petole(sp) is damaged- the base of the antler, it could affect growth in future years
Posted By: Birdog62

Re: Deer caught in hog trap - 02/22/15 01:49 AM

Originally Posted By: hoof n wings
I believe if the petole(sp) is damaged- the base of the antler, it could affect growth in future years

It looks like it was damaged.
Posted By: crooked horn

Re: Deer caught in hog trap - 02/22/15 03:23 AM

That is the exact reason I will not use a box style hog trap, make all mine from panels. I know 2 people who have caught deer, and one of them, also a buck, die from its injuries.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Deer caught in hog trap - 02/22/15 03:45 AM

I have had good luck hanging cedar branches in the trap opening, it seems to help detour deer. It may detour some hogs that wont push though it, but that is an acceptable loss. I hate catching deer, they always get busted up.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Deer caught in hog trap - 02/22/15 07:56 PM

Probably will have a nontypical looking antler this coming year then back to normal looking rack the next year at worst.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Deer caught in hog trap - 02/22/15 08:45 PM

the other one has a pretty large bone spur attached to it.

My bet he will be messed up on that side for life. Might not but if the pedestal is damaged it usually gets reflected in the rack
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum