Texas Hunting Forum

Callahan county

Posted By: Junebug

Callahan county - 02/12/15 05:29 PM

Just leased some land just north of cross plains. I here there is good deer in the area but forgot to ask the locals about turkey. Anyone hunt the area and can give me any info, on the size of deer in that area and on the turkey.
Appears to be a hot spot for dove
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: Callahan county - 02/12/15 06:00 PM

That is a good county to hunt. It will depend on your landowner's activity along with what the land owners / hunters around you are doing. There is deer, turkey, and dove. I would assume hog, I just have never seen any there.
Posted By: crooked horn

Re: Callahan county - 02/12/15 10:21 PM

I am south of Cross Plains. Turkey populations have been on a steady decline for years due to drought, and predation (hogs/varmints). 10 years ago I could kill a turkey pretty much any day during the spring season, no exaggeration, now I have completely quit hunting them, although I still see, or hear, some every now and again.

Re: Callahan county - 02/12/15 11:31 PM

We just came off a place in young county.", and since the drought the turkey population has gone way down.
Hogs have also been slowing down, our getting smarter. We left the area for greener pastures and hope we made the right move by moving further south.

Crooked horn,
How's is the deer population in your area, we are between cross plains and cotton wood.

The rancher is all about growing the deer population
Posted By: aeb

Re: Callahan county - 02/12/15 11:50 PM

Hogs way up, turkeys way down. bang
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Callahan county - 02/13/15 03:00 AM

Used to hunt just north of Cross Plains years ago. Not a lot of deer or turkey back then but definitely pigs. Now am in Eastland county only about 45 minutes away and we have a great turkey population. Not unusual to see 20 or 30 at a time. Deer population is ok. Still loved hunting Callahan though.
Posted By: crooked horn

Re: Callahan county - 02/13/15 04:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Junebug
We just came off a place in young county.", and since the drought the turkey population has gone way down.
Hogs have also been slowing down, our getting smarter. We left the area for greener pastures and hope we made the right move by moving further south.

Crooked horn,
How's is the deer population in your area, we are between cross plains and cotton wood.

The rancher is all about growing the deer population

Saw fewer deer this year than I have seen since the 80's, BUT, I am high fenced on 2 sides, and there was a bumper acorn crop. Hoping this coming season is better. Left 3 feeders running on a little over 300 acres, not getting any deer pics to speak of. I grew up the other side of Cottonwood, back in those days, you were just as likely to see a Bigfoot as you were a deer. smirk
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Callahan county - 02/13/15 05:44 AM

I've got a place near cross plains. Had really nice numbers of deer on cams during October. My youngest harvested a 8 pt and fairly recently had a large sounder of pigs come in. http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbth..._my#Post5450660
Again there were all kinds of deer on my cameras during Oct. Acorns were thick! During the middle of deer season it was weird. Didn't see many deer at all. I've heard turkeys and seen them one time but seems they are suffering. Lots of coyotes in the area so some predator control is most likely needed. Keep us posted on your place.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Callahan county - 02/16/15 10:10 PM

Originally Posted By: blazin
I've got a place near cross plains. Had really nice numbers of deer on cams during October. My youngest harvested a 8 pt and fairly recently had a large sounder of pigs come in. http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbth..._my#Post5450660
Again there were all kinds of deer on my cameras during Oct. Acorns were thick! During the middle of deer season it was weird. Didn't see many deer at all. I've heard turkeys and seen them one time but seems they are suffering. Lots of coyotes in the area so some predator control is most likely needed. Keep us posted on your place.

Same SE of X Plains.
Posted By: MMarshall

Re: Callahan county - 02/17/15 09:30 PM

Hunted North of Baird for several years. Saw a lot of deer, nothing great. Was not a lot of "management minded" people around us. Some one did shoot a 150" 14 point off of the ranch.

Re: Callahan county - 02/18/15 12:02 AM

Gunna keep my fingers crossed, going to set protein feeders and cameras next week.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum