Texas Hunting Forum

snakes in val verde county

Posted By: duck_slayer89

snakes in val verde county - 02/09/15 07:59 PM

Just got on a lease in val verde county. Wondering how bad the rattle snakes are our there.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: snakes in val verde county - 02/09/15 08:30 PM

No worse than the rest of southwest Texas. The good news is unless you reach for one or step on one, they let you know they are about to bite you before they do.
Posted By: Dadsaid

Re: snakes in val verde county - 02/09/15 09:14 PM

my lease is near Comstock (Val Verde County) and we have not seen a rattle snake in the 3 years we've been on the place. But I still wear my snake boots, everyone makes fun of me but "oh, well". I'm sure they are out there.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: snakes in val verde county - 02/09/15 09:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
No worse than the rest of southwest Texas. The good news is unless you reach for one or step on one, they let you know they are about to bite you before they do.
sometimes, for every one you see, probably a dozen you didn't see
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: snakes in val verde county - 02/09/15 10:30 PM

Originally Posted By: colt45

Yep. Similar to cockroaches. If you see 1, there are 100 more you didn't see.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: snakes in val verde county - 02/09/15 10:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Big_Ag
Originally Posted By: colt45

Yep. Similar to cockroaches. If you see 1, there are 100 more you didn't see.

Ah geez...then how many did we miss???

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: snakes in val verde county - 02/09/15 10:48 PM

Some areas have a lot and some areas not many at all. I have not seen or killed one on my place in Goliad County, yet. I watch for them but have not seen one yet. These came off a place in La Salle County in just over 2 yr period. They do not always rattle either.

Re: snakes in val verde county - 02/09/15 10:57 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Some areas have a lot and some areas not many at all. I have not seen or killed one on my place in Goliad County, yet. I watch for them but have not seen one yet. These came off a place in La Salle County in just over 2 yr period. They do not always rattle either.

Was there hogs on the place peep
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: snakes in val verde county - 02/09/15 11:00 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Was there hogs on the place peep

There used to be....I trapped/shot 362 of them off in less than 3 yrs. I saw less snakes after I killed a bunch of hogs though. confused2
Posted By: 22hemi13

Re: snakes in val verde county - 02/10/15 12:00 AM

Well ain't that just a cooler full of nastiness. Yuck. I hate snakes crazy
Posted By: dgilbert

Re: snakes in val verde county - 02/10/15 12:02 AM

Buy some boots and go hunt!
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: snakes in val verde county - 02/10/15 12:23 AM

They are turbel

Re: snakes in val verde county - 02/10/15 12:23 AM

Originally Posted By: dgilbert

I used to catch every one I see and absolutely loved hunting them. Perfect time to hunt snakes is the same time that antlers are on the ground. I have to be in the right mood to mess with one now. I am more likely to catch a non-poisonous one to show the kids now than a rattler.
Posted By: dgilbert

Re: snakes in val verde county - 02/10/15 12:32 AM

I don't mess with them, I just kill them! up
Posted By: HWY72

Re: snakes in val verde county - 02/10/15 02:08 AM

A friend of mine used to catch them and use the skins to make belts, buckles, other stuff. He always had live ones in an aquarium and would occasionally take one out to demonstrate how to handle and catch them. He had one on the coffee table and had a very close call - almost lost his manhood. He never got bit, but he got rid of them after that!
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: snakes in val verde county - 02/10/15 07:06 AM

Originally Posted By: HWY72
A friend of mine used to catch them and use the skins to make belts, buckles, other stuff. He always had live ones in an aquarium and would occasionally take one out to demonstrate how to handle and catch them. He had one on the coffee table and had a very close call - almost lost his manhood. He never got bit, but he got rid of them after that!
Good lord, not the "manhood" scared
Posted By: HWY72

Re: snakes in val verde county - 02/10/15 12:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Erathkid
Originally Posted By: HWY72
Good lord, not the "manhood" scared

Yep, saved by a good Wrangler zipper......
Posted By: Western

Re: snakes in val verde county - 02/10/15 12:52 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
Originally Posted By: dgilbert

I used to catch every one I see and absolutely loved hunting them. Perfect time to hunt snakes is the same time that antlers are on the ground. I have to be in the right mood to mess with one now. I am more likely to catch a non-poisonous one to show the kids now than a rattler.

Same here, used to be an early spring event. Made a little cash and had allot of fun.
Posted By: crooked horn

Re: snakes in val verde county - 02/12/15 03:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

In my younger days I kept a very large rattler in an aquarium. It taught me something that I have never forgotten, and think about often while in the woods.When I would get close to the glass, either intentionally or accidently, it would do one of two things: either sit there rattling up a storm, or strike. It NEVER rattled if it was going to strike, and if it was rattling, you had to get after the glass to provoke a response. Maybe it was just that particular snake, but it really makes you wonder.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum