Texas Hunting Forum

Is It Possible????

Posted By: DLALLDER

Is It Possible???? - 02/08/15 11:06 PM

I know what I saw this morning on the way to church but I am not sure it was what I think it was!!! I live in NE Texas, Camp co, about 40 miles north of Longview. On FM 1521 about a mile from Hwy 11, my wife and I saw a doe jump 2 fences going across the road and behind her was 2 BUCKS, one was a nice 8 pt and the other a spike, maybe a 4 pt just got a glimpse of him. Do you think that doe was in heat this late in the year??? A nice buck in the daylight hours behind a doe. What do you make of it?
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Is It Possible???? - 02/09/15 12:16 AM

Very possible.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Is It Possible???? - 02/09/15 12:37 AM

Yes it is possible and it could have been an early born doe fawn or a doe that did not get bred yet.
Posted By: crooked horn

Re: Is It Possible???? - 02/09/15 03:14 AM

As long as a buck has antlers, he is able and wiiling to breed. Does can come into their first estrous cycle as early as 6 months old.
Posted By: wtjim

Re: Is It Possible???? - 02/09/15 03:25 AM

Very possible, especially if doe is a yearling...Im still getting pics of bucks dogging doe on my place...
Posted By: muddog1grs

Re: Is It Possible???? - 02/09/15 03:47 AM

Late February of 2004 in Llano on a hog hunt, I watched several bucks chasing does over the course of three days.Very odd indeed.
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Is It Possible???? - 02/09/15 03:59 AM

I think what you saw were a doe, running , with two bucks behind it, also running. I see it all the time. Doesn't really indicate anything.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Is It Possible???? - 02/09/15 04:48 AM

Could be like Huntmaster said or the others. If there is a doe in heat around, there will be a buck or two ready to take care of her. Doesn't matter when or where.
Posted By: therancher

Re: Is It Possible???? - 02/09/15 04:57 AM

There's a pretty strong rut going on at the Kerr co ranch now. Several bucks chasing several does. Not just yearling does either.

Had a couple of fawns born in late October this year. Do the math, they'll still be breeding in late march.
Posted By: tdecker22

Re: Is It Possible???? - 02/09/15 01:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Huntmaster
I think what you saw were a doe, running , with two bucks behind it, also running. I see it all the time. Doesn't really indicate anything.

X2 was what I was thinking also. I see bucks with does all the time. Your way over thinking it.
Posted By: HWY72

Re: Is It Possible???? - 02/09/15 02:00 PM

Possible but not probable.

Most areas have a 60-70 day cycle with about a 10-12 day "Peak of the Rut" in the middle. During that 60-70 days most all the does get bred. That being said, does will come into heat every 28 days if not bred, but I don't know if that continues into the late spring and summer.
Posted By: wtjim

Re: Is It Possible???? - 02/09/15 04:10 PM

Just because you've never seen it doesn't mean it's not possible...
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Is It Possible???? - 02/09/15 04:17 PM

I have seen quite a few late born fawns over the years, by late I mean Sept or October. I have found 2 bucks locked up and dead from fighting the first week in March. They had been dead only a day or two when buzzards alerted me to them. Doe fawns only need to get to a certain weight to be able to heat cycle. In a year like this one with all the rainfall they grew very quickly. Here is a picture taken on 11-9-2010.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Is It Possible???? - 02/09/15 04:22 PM

We had an extremely late rut this year in south texas. Our bucks didn't start really running hard core till January. A little activity in late December, but the hard running started in January from what we can tell.
Posted By: Franklin517

Re: Is It Possible???? - 02/10/15 02:04 AM

Possible
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Is It Possible???? - 02/10/15 02:36 PM

Likely in our area.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum