Texas Hunting Forum

will this deer live?

Posted By: nogeese

will this deer live? - 01/30/15 08:02 PM

Originally Posted By: nogeese
been feeding them at the ranch all year... (hoping to get a few sheds in the coming weeks)I checked the camera today and this guy looks pretty bad... do you think he will make it?
Posted By: Stevarino

Re: will this deer live? - 01/30/15 08:04 PM

doesnt look too bad. He's still feeding which is a good sign, but time will tell.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: will this deer live? - 01/30/15 08:04 PM

I think he will. Animals are pretty resilient.
Posted By: jmh004

Re: will this deer live? - 01/30/15 08:05 PM

I think he will. I agree his legs looks bad, but his body doesn't look drawn up yet. Wild animals are extremely resilient, so I would say he will make it.
Posted By: Eyesofahunter

Re: will this deer live? - 01/30/15 08:23 PM

He should make it, I shot one 3 years ago on the second day of season with no front left leg at all. Shot him thinking another hunter shot it off during opening day. I was shocked when we walked up and found a healed over wound, could not believe it. Wild animals are tough.
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: will this deer live? - 01/30/15 08:46 PM

he should make it. time will tell of course. as long as infection does not spread to other parts of his body, he should be good.
Posted By: WTGuide

Re: will this deer live? - 01/30/15 09:24 PM

prob so
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: will this deer live? - 01/30/15 10:26 PM

IF no coyotes gang up, I think he will be fine
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: will this deer live? - 01/30/15 11:08 PM

He probably will make it but have a smaller or messed up antler due to that.
Posted By: DustyWyoming

Re: will this deer live? - 01/31/15 04:09 AM

I bet he will make..
Posted By: Ketchn

Re: will this deer live? - 02/01/15 02:14 PM

probably survive that wound is my thoughts
we had a buck show up one year on cameras with a huge patch of hide like larger than a dinner plate
hanging off his hind quarter up on top .....maybe a fence ? the thing that amazed me is in a period of 2 months you could see the wound heal right up on cameras and get the size of a quarter pretty quick
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: will this deer live? - 02/01/15 04:01 PM

I've seen wounds on deer that to this day I can't believe an animal would survive but they did! I've found fully intact broadheads with part of the shaft incased in the shoulders of deer, and also healed over bullet wounds near the backbones of deer that were inflicted by jacketed bullets as we could pick out the brass and lead pieces embedded into the meat under the skin. The wounds would heal over with a tough cartiledge mass, and blood vessels rechanneled around the wound.
They were completely healed with no sign of infection, other than a deformity in the muscle tissue.
This from over 50 years experience and working an Army base hunting program for nearly 20 years.
Yes, that deer should survive!
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: will this deer live? - 02/03/15 08:20 PM

He'll make it. Keep an eye out for a buck with a funky rack.
Posted By: rowdydog1

Re: will this deer live? - 02/04/15 03:34 AM

Looks bad. It would be curious to follow his progress.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: will this deer live? - 02/04/15 12:36 PM

That's not that bad of a wound. He should be fine. May have a funky rack next season though.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum