Texas Hunting Forum

What else can I feed in protein (tube) feeders, when not feeding protein?

Posted By: maximus_flavius

What else can I feed in protein (tube) feeders, when not feeding protein? - 01/20/15 01:32 PM

If not running protein during some times of the year, (like Oct - Jan), is there anything else I can run in the feeders? Like corn, or peas?
Posted By: MELackey

Re: What else can I feed in protein (tube) feeders, when not feeding protein? - 01/20/15 01:51 PM

why not continue feeding protein into the fall and winter? Mix in a little corn, soybeans, or peas if you want to, but a little extra something for the bucks to eat after losing some weight chasing does isn't a bad thing.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: What else can I feed in protein (tube) feeders, when not feeding protein? - 01/20/15 01:55 PM

Corn will only be eaten quickly and by other critters also(birds, squirrels, turkey, raccoons,etc). I would feed split peas if you can find them cheap enough.
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: What else can I feed in protein (tube) feeders, when not feeding protein? - 01/20/15 02:11 PM

If it's the price that's getting you on the deer feed there are several alternatives. I currently feed high fat 12% horse feed with trace minerals. Deer in my area are hitting it regular. I pay $8.35 per 50lb bag which is the same price +/- I'm currently paying for corn. Lamb and goat pellets work good but may be a little more pricey similar to deer feed. Cow pellets and/or range cubes works too
Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: What else can I feed in protein (tube) feeders, when not feeding protein? - 01/20/15 03:50 PM

Thanks for the input thusfar.

The main reason is they don't seem to eat hardly any once the acorns fall in Oct.

I may try a lower protein creep feed, but was looking for other ideas.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: What else can I feed in protein (tube) feeders, when not feeding protein? - 01/20/15 03:56 PM

No other type of feed will do any better during that time of the year... when they have the ability to eat were they want to instead of a feeder and get more if not the same amount thats were they will be.... not even a big flashing neon light will work
Posted By: aeb

Re: What else can I feed in protein (tube) feeders, when not feeding protein? - 01/20/15 06:09 PM

Protein year-round
Posted By: Steven Bates

Re: What else can I feed in protein (tube) feeders, when not feeding protein? - 01/20/15 06:19 PM

stick with the protein..... maybe mix some corn when the deer are on acorns but don't worry if they stop hitting it.... they will come back when the acorns run out or start to sour.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum