Texas Hunting Forum

My son missed a big one!

Posted By: enock

My son missed a big one! - 01/18/15 01:28 PM

After a very quite season of not seeing anything, I mean nothing, I took my 13 year old boy out for some last weekend bonding hunting. Wasn't expecting to see anything. As soon as the sun set we had 9 bucks come out! Bear in mind I haven't seen a deer all season! They were all not legal so we just got to watch the show. Then all of a sudden a 10 comes out! I'm trying to keep myself calm so he don't freak out on me! The buck stands perfectly like he was posing for the shot. My boy did everything right as far as breathing and squeezing trigger slowly. He missed..... There was not second chance, the buck left the country instantly. My guess is he flinched when he pulled. I've had him on the range several times this year and he's a crack shot. Poor guy I thought he was going to cry. I just told him it happens and I know grown men that's been hunting for 30 years miss. We're back at this morning hoping to see something. I think he's on a mission now, couldn't hardly sleep last night!
Posted By: therock

Re: My son missed a big one! - 01/18/15 01:34 PM

I feel bad for the boy but tell him we all miss every now and then. That's why it's called hunting and not killing.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: My son missed a big one! - 01/18/15 02:10 PM

Good luck today. Misses happen, I missed 2 before getting my first one.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: My son missed a big one! - 01/18/15 02:28 PM

I missed one at 30 yards one time with an open sight rifle. Caused by pure buck fever. I saw the bullet hit the ground in front of him. I was 38.

Since he ran at the shot I hope you scouted around some. I've saw deer and pigs hit and never show a sign then pile up 40 yards away.

Good luck today.
Posted By: enock

Re: My son missed a big one! - 01/18/15 02:32 PM

We looked pretty hard. I saw dirt kick up in front of him as I was watching through binocs. So far 0 this morning.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: My son missed a big one! - 01/18/15 03:01 PM

Late season hunting can be like that. You can hunt for a week or two and not see a thing, and then suddenly...

Not at all uncommon to see bucks that have gone back to their bachelor groups well after the rut.
Posted By: jmhartt

Re: My son missed a big one! - 01/18/15 03:16 PM

Keep us updated! Tell him to hang in there
Posted By: Ketchn

Re: My son missed a big one! - 01/19/15 01:15 PM

wish he got it .....but...
big bucks have a tendency to unravel even experienced hunters
its pretty difficult to keep the adrenaline rush from setting in
teach him to never look at the rack on a big one once the decision is made to take it
the antlers are VERY distracting
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: My son missed a big one! - 01/19/15 02:21 PM

When he connects on one it will be twice as rewarding. Sorry it happened but a good experience none the less.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum