Texas Hunting Forum

density numbers on whitetailed deer

Posted By: Ketchn

density numbers on whitetailed deer - 01/13/15 02:39 PM

what do you think are the density numbers on the place you hunt ?
and please give up the county for a comparison up
Posted By: redchevy

Re: density numbers on whitetailed deer - 01/13/15 02:54 PM

Duval Co. Surveys indicate around a deer to 5-7 acres for the past couple years.
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: density numbers on whitetailed deer - 01/13/15 02:59 PM

Mills County was 1 deer to every 6 acres a few years ago. May be different now
Posted By: don k

Re: density numbers on whitetailed deer - 01/13/15 03:01 PM

I have an 18 acre place separate from the main place. About 3 miles from Bandera. The most deer I have seen at one time is 10 WT and about 20 Axis. Most times at the feeder there are about 10 WT. So within a 3 mile radius of the town of Bandera the numbers have to be fairly large. I have driven from my house to town and counted over 50 deer WT and Axis many times.
Posted By: RedRaider3933

Re: density numbers on whitetailed deer - 01/13/15 05:50 PM

Based on what I saw on our place in Eastland County this year, I'd say its about 2-3 deer per 600 acres. Just an awful season.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: density numbers on whitetailed deer - 01/13/15 05:52 PM

1-4 in my pocket of the county but 1-6,7 normal id say
Posted By: cameron00

Re: density numbers on whitetailed deer - 01/13/15 05:59 PM

I'd guess about 1 per 7 acres in the bottoms outside of Bellville in Austin County.

See lots of deer.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: density numbers on whitetailed deer - 01/13/15 06:01 PM

Around 1-10 on my place in Concho.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: density numbers on whitetailed deer - 01/13/15 06:24 PM

County surveys in my area by WMA Coop show a deer to 17 acres. I have had a deer to 7-9 acres the past 3 yrs now with a ratio this year around 1 buck per 1.5 does. No does can be harvested in area of the county unless you are a member of the Coop and then you get one tag per 200 acres. Goliad County and county wide deer per acre varies greatly.
Posted By: Ketchn

Re: density numbers on whitetailed deer - 01/14/15 02:16 PM

i think from what i see and hear from land owners in Comanche county in the area i hunt its about 1 deer to every 15 or 20 acres
i do know depending on the property the amount per acre varies greatly though
could drive down the road a few miles and it might be closer to a deer per 50 or a 100 acres
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: density numbers on whitetailed deer - 01/14/15 02:34 PM

The Bosque county GW said one deer per 25 acres.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: density numbers on whitetailed deer - 01/14/15 07:35 PM

Where can you get these numbers? TP&W biologist I talked to last week said they would have to do a survey on our place to come up with the numbers. Helicopter survey for $2000.00-$2500.00 is the most reliable to get buck/doe ratio, fawn crop, and deer per acre and he wanted to conduct it anytime between August-November. Thing about this is everything is leased up by then and everyone has their hunters and prices are set for leases. All of this info seems after the fact if you do it then. I understand why for the buck and raw Identification, but most of it seems sort of useless unless you carry it over to the next year.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: density numbers on whitetailed deer - 01/14/15 08:13 PM

Do some searches on how to survey deer density. You can do it yourself, you don't need the biologist to do it. You can do spotlight counts, blind counts, trail camera surveys, walking line surveys etc. Multiple methods and consider all results to get a better overall answer.

A buddy of mine has a HF place they have flown with a helicopter every year for the first few years. After they killed more does in one year than they were supposed to have and still had a significant number left they haven't been using the chopper any more. It can work, but ive heard a lot of the deer will just bed down and wont get counted.

You can contact the county/regional biologist for what carrying capacity should be.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum