Texas Hunting Forum

Will he SURVIVE?

Posted By: ffread

Will he SURVIVE? - 01/10/15 11:39 PM

I have been watching this 12 point for 3 years now, now he shows up with a broke leg. Will this affect his horns for next year, better question will he SURVIVE until next years deer season? He has been a regular at the feeder every year until this year but he did start showing up the last two weeks every evening! What is yalls thoughts on if he will survive and be affected by this injury?

Posted By: chk

Re: Will he SURVIVE? - 01/11/15 12:25 AM

Broken leg I would say no.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Will he SURVIVE? - 01/11/15 12:28 AM

Would not surprise me if he survives but will probably affect his rack next year if he does
Posted By: don k

Re: Will he SURVIVE? - 01/11/15 12:44 AM

He will live. He probably will never look the same again. Quite a few years ago my son shot an Axis buck with messed up antlers. He kind of limped with his back leg. When we butchered him we found that some time in his life he broke the big bone in one of his back legs. The bone slid past the where it broke and grew back together. So one back leg was about 3" shorter than the other. Animals are tuff.
Posted By: bcranch

Re: Will he SURVIVE? - 01/11/15 12:45 AM

Deer can do pretty well with three legs if nothing else goes wrong. They are more susceptible to predation but will often survive. I would count on it having an effect on the right side of his rack next year.
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Will he SURVIVE? - 01/11/15 12:57 AM

I have a buck with a broken rear hoof around the ankle and it didn't affect his rack this year. Depends on where the break is would be my guess and how well he can avoid predators.
Posted By: TAT

Re: Will he SURVIVE? - 01/11/15 01:45 AM

He will or won't! That's a guarantee!
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Will he SURVIVE? - 01/11/15 02:06 AM

Take a kid hunting...
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Will he SURVIVE? - 01/11/15 03:01 AM

Originally Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)
Take a kid hunting...

Re: Will he SURVIVE? - 01/11/15 03:19 AM

I'm out of kids haha he shot one yesterday I just realized this deer had a broke leg today! Owners grandson may come out this week I hope

Take a kid hunting...
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Will he SURVIVE? - 01/11/15 04:30 AM

Originally Posted By: ffread
I'm out of kids haha he shot one yesterday I just realized this deer had a broke leg today! Owners grandson may come out this week I hope

Take a kid hunting...

up
Posted By: ckat

Re: Will he SURVIVE? - 01/11/15 05:00 AM

He will survive, but I would be willing to bet that his right antler will show some level of deformity in the coming years.

Re: Will he SURVIVE? - 01/11/15 05:01 AM

Originally Posted By: ckat
He will survive, but I would be willing to bet that his right antler will show some level of deformity in the coming years.

That could be a good thing but could swing the other way as well
Posted By: ckat

Re: Will he SURVIVE? - 01/11/15 05:06 AM

Originally Posted By: ffread
Originally Posted By: ckat

That could be a good thing but could swing the other way as well

Usually not a good thing from what I have seen through the years...
Posted By: BMowatt

Re: Will he SURVIVE? - 01/11/15 02:59 PM

X-rays showed it was broken? He may have had a run in with some barb wire.
I have one with a similar injury. Watched him all season, leg healed up and he is going fine.
Posted By: Auctioneer1

Re: Will he SURVIVE? - 01/11/15 04:18 PM

Some will live some will die from that. If he catches fever in that leg he is done or a pack of coyotes beget on him he can't run and get away for long.
Posted By: Ketchn

Re: Will he SURVIVE? - 01/11/15 04:20 PM

he may very well heal up and go on being a good buck
or he may go the other way ....
its pretty difficult to say for sure
and yes it may effect his antler growth as well
or it may not ...time will tell I imagine
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Will he SURVIVE? - 01/11/15 08:41 PM

Body condition on him looks extremely good to me. He's thick. Hope he makes it.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Will he SURVIVE? - 01/11/15 09:21 PM

if no infection sets in, and no predation, good chance
Posted By: tlk

Re: Will he SURVIVE? - 01/11/15 11:15 PM

I hope this video plays ok. This is a four year old buck - we saw him last year at age three and his front left leg looked to either have been broken or dislocated. He survived to this year and is now age four. He is 170-180 inch deer that we think may hit 200 inches by the time he is age six. We have watched him fight and run does with no ill effects. So a broken leg does not mean they do not survive but I would think more chance of predators taking them down especially after the rut. By the way we nicknamed him Crip (short for crippled)

[img]http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b512/tkennedy5353/Crip%20fight%201_zps4rudjlvc.mp4[/img]
Posted By: Rifleman1775

Re: Will he SURVIVE? - 01/14/15 08:02 AM

Holy *#@%!!! That sucker held his own with a bum leg?! Leg looks swollen.
Posted By: tlk

Re: Will he SURVIVE? - 01/14/15 11:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Rifleman1775
Holy *#@%!!! That sucker held his own with a bum leg?! Leg looks swollen.

yeah he has had this leg since the first time we saw him two years ago - have watched him fight, run, etc all with no ill effects.
Posted By: stinkbelly

Re: Will he SURVIVE? - 01/14/15 12:39 PM

I had a deer break his back leg several years ago. It was so bad, he would take about 5 minutes to walk 20 yards across the field. I called the game warden and he wanted to put it down, but we decided to see what would happen. The next year I shot him and he was the biggest deer of my life. His antlers were perfectly normal. He didn't even have a limp. His bones fused into a lump mass the size of my fist.

If he can avoid the coyotes, he has a good chance.
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: Will he SURVIVE? - 01/14/15 02:29 PM

Originally Posted By: tlk
I hope this video plays ok. This is a four year old buck - we saw him last year at age three and his front left leg looked to either have been broken or dislocated. He survived to this year and is now age four. He is 170-180 inch deer that we think may hit 200 inches by the time he is age six. We have watched him fight and run does with no ill effects. So a broken leg does not mean they do not survive but I would think more chance of predators taking them down especially after the rut. By the way we nicknamed him Crip (short for crippled)

[img]http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b512/tkennedy5353/Crip%20fight%201_zps4rudjlvc.mp4[/img]
Cool video
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum