Texas Hunting Forum

What County Comes to Mind

Posted By: DQ Kid

What County Comes to Mind - 01/10/15 01:28 PM

If you were to consider for deer hunting in NW TX, not considering anything further west of Aspermont or south of McCullouch. I'm thinking best deer densities, quality of bucks, lower amounts of hunting pressure, shorter(relative) distance to metromess and obviously cost..

Re: What County Comes to Mind - 01/10/15 01:35 PM

I do realize this is not a "clearcut" question or answer to it, just more gauging the opinions of the THF. Obviously, properties within counties can vary based on topography, management programs in place, surrounding pressure, etc.etc.; just trying to gauge the opinions of the THF based on "avg" senses based on having seen/heard or read hunting studies/successes, etc. Thinking this can get fun. For starters, I'll throw out Shackleford county, have heard/read/seen quite a bit of deer hunting success out of that county.
Posted By: 7mag

Re: What County Comes to Mind - 01/10/15 01:35 PM

Not sure if I am in the right region, but Concho and Coke

Re: What County Comes to Mind - 01/10/15 01:36 PM

Sorry Mag, that's more like West TX. Got anything further eastward?
Posted By: 7mag

Re: What County Comes to Mind - 01/10/15 01:38 PM

Originally Posted By: DQ Kid
Sorry Mag, that's more like West TX. Got anything further eastward?

Fisher and Borden come to mind. Deer numbers are lower but they kill some toads, Just my opinion

Re: What County Comes to Mind - 01/10/15 01:41 PM

Thanks Mag, sent you a PM btw...
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: What County Comes to Mind - 01/10/15 02:24 PM

Childress or Paducah?
Posted By: Ketchn

Re: What County Comes to Mind - 01/10/15 02:27 PM

straight north of you near Hagerman there are monster bucks roaming around up
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: What County Comes to Mind - 01/10/15 02:44 PM

You can find really good deer in just about any county in that large area. How you define "good deer" will factor in also. Size of ranch, location of ranch, hunting pressure around that ranch, your preferred hunting style and management on that ranch all factor into how good it is or can be. I have hunted in McCulloch, Stonewall and Kent counties. I really like the looks of King County around Gutherie, Wheeler County, Childress County, Randall County and Hemphill County. I have not hunted around Canadian Texas but just from travelling through there the last 3 yrs it is a very intriguing looking area. I would really like to hunt there at least once along the Canadian River.

Re: What County Comes to Mind - 01/10/15 02:54 PM

Ranch, I think I meant more NW Texas (Cross Timbers area), no further west than Aspermont and no further south than McCulloch.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: What County Comes to Mind - 01/10/15 03:13 PM

Gutherie is just a little due north of Aspermont. You did not say anything about north in your post. The Panhandle area is more NW Texas to me.

Re: What County Comes to Mind - 01/10/15 03:22 PM

Right there, no further NW than Cottle county then.
Posted By: 2012hvt

Re: What County Comes to Mind - 01/10/15 04:29 PM

Knox and Baylor counties offer some great hunting and there are some giants in the right places.
Posted By: Fishercounty

Re: What County Comes to Mind - 01/10/15 08:02 PM

Fisher and Jones have some honey hole areas for sure.
Posted By: n-all

Re: What County Comes to Mind - 01/10/15 08:22 PM

Hardeman/Childress close to the Red River..
Posted By: MikeC

Re: What County Comes to Mind - 01/10/15 10:13 PM

Originally Posted By: n-all
Hardeman/Childress close to the Red River..

This^^^ but you dang near have to inherit a lease!
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: What County Comes to Mind - 01/11/15 03:29 PM

I've seen some absolute giants driving through King. King is very sparsely populated. To give you an idea, I don't think there is a gas station in the entire county. Problem is the vast majority of the county is made up of just a handful of very large ranches. So very low hunting pressure, but finding a place is like a finding a needle in a haystack.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum