Texas Hunting Forum

Nothing since opening weekend

Posted By: Tylercohunter

Nothing since opening weekend - 12/30/14 12:13 AM

I haven't seen a single deer since opening weekend. I saw about 3 the Saturday morning of youth weekend and 7or 8 on the Saturday of opening weekend , and I've spent lots of time in the stand since then, but I haven't seen any deer since then. They're not even coming to my feeder at night. Any idea what could be going on and what I could do?
Posted By: cm250

Re: Nothing since opening weekend - 12/30/14 12:18 AM

Need more info, what area" general" are ya hunting? Amount of land and surrounding land? Running game cams and feeders? More info might help.......
Posted By: Team By-God

Re: Nothing since opening weekend - 12/30/14 02:28 AM

Ive hunted about 10 days this year, only seen deer on one of those days, no hogs at all. lots of deer free days and nights on cameras. Buddy saw 3 or 4 deer this morning traveling behind the feeder, never thought about coming to corn. Assuming too much stuff to eat in brown co for them to mess with corn..
Posted By: JDMore

Re: Nothing since opening weekend - 12/30/14 02:35 AM

I saw 1 deer all season and didnt get a shot off...... Freezer is empty!
Posted By: Big Daddy K

Re: Nothing since opening weekend - 12/30/14 02:44 AM

It's always slow for me after Thanksgiving.
I saw a spike one morning and 4 doe another in December.
Nothing last week or today. Still have hopes for tomorrow morning though.
It ain't over till it's over.
Posted By: BrianMc

Re: Nothing since opening weekend - 12/30/14 01:44 PM

I've had deer on my cams most nights since Sept but they all seem to be between 11:30pm and 2am. Up until about two weeks ago, it was usually only one or two pics and they're gone. They're eating longer now... so I think that reinforces that there's been too many acorns this year.

I'm in Cherokee County... bear Jacksonville.
Posted By: 7ARanch

Re: Nothing since opening weekend - 12/30/14 06:12 PM

We have had a pretty sparse year until the past two weeks. IMHO the cold will get them moving to the feeders more frequently and getting there earlier then staying later. At least that's what we are seeing. Corn is so high in calories it pulls them in. I still have mostly night pics but now it's 6-10 deer at the feeder at a time.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Nothing since opening weekend - 12/30/14 08:30 PM

Put out some sweet feed, it's not going to scare them off. Chum some piles off of known deer trails and set you TC's up on them and see what you might have.
Posted By: don k

Re: Nothing since opening weekend - 12/31/14 12:18 AM

I hate to be the bearer of bad news. Nobody else seems to want to tell you. But there must not be any deer there if you have gone out as much as you say and have not seen a deer. I am not bragging but this afternoon I went out between 4 and 4:30 and saw 7 WT does and a 4 point Buck plus 2 Axis does on a small LF place I have. We had an average acorn crop. We have been getting some rain and the forbs and winter grass look good. Deer have to come out in the daylight at some time or another. They are not vampires or zombies.

Re: Nothing since opening weekend - 12/31/14 01:04 AM

If you're hunting in Bandera, then your situation isn't the same as east TX. The OP is a Tyler guy (assuming due to his username). I hunt Jacksonville. Lots of people are having a poor season in east TX... it even made an article in the Tyler paper a while back.
Posted By: dawaba

Re: Nothing since opening weekend - 12/31/14 01:53 AM

Originally Posted By: BrianMc
If you're hunting in Bandera, then your situation isn't the same as east TX. The OP is a Tyler guy (assuming due to his username). I hunt Jacksonville. Lots of people are having a poor season in east TX... it even made an article in the Tyler paper a while back.

Or Tyler County guy.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Nothing since opening weekend - 12/31/14 02:01 AM

Assuming Tyler Co and the acorn crop was really staggered but plentiful and only 2 frosts, Plenty of rain, still green. Rut always seems to be concentrated around Mid-Oct and usually a lull in activity from around Mid-Nov until mid-Jan. Great if you're hunting MLD bc the fawns are getting bred before the season ends which can put a lot of bucks in front of you.
Posted By: ryorgensen

Re: Nothing since opening weekend - 12/31/14 07:40 AM

Very true...I'm in Houston county with the same deal this year...worst year in a very long time for seeing deer. We have a lot of deer but ......this yr the numbers are way down for seeing them during daylight...
The deer processors around here all say the same thing, they haven't gotten half of the deer as they usually do...
Posted By: don k

Re: Nothing since opening weekend - 12/31/14 01:58 PM

He stated that he has sat at his blind numerous times and deer are not coming to feeder at all. That can only mean one thing. There are no deer there.

Re: Nothing since opening weekend - 12/31/14 02:12 PM

Hey Tylercohunter... is your corn disappearing or just piling up? I assumed that you meant deer (or something) was cleaning up the corn but nothing during shooting hours... if corn is piling up, then don k may have a point.
Posted By: Seadog

Re: Nothing since opening weekend - 12/31/14 02:47 PM

I hunt Hardin County just south of Tyler County and the only deer I saw from Thanksgiving week to the 17th of December was pics between the hours of 6:30 PM to 5:00 AM!!!
Posted By: Cast

Re: Nothing since opening weekend - 12/31/14 04:28 PM

Deer are starting to trickle in to my feeder in the last few days. A nice frosty buck just a couple hours ago was browsing my corn. He'll be magnificent next year.
Posted By: BowSlayer

Re: Nothing since opening weekend - 12/31/14 05:21 PM

One of my places is in Smith County and is loaded with deer. I'm the only hunter on 400 acres and usually average 10-30 deer sightings in an evening hunt. This year I've seen roughly 8 deer the entire season. It's not because the deer left or died it's because all they have to do is stand up, eat, lay back down. The deer are still there they just have no reason to move or eat corn.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Nothing since opening weekend - 12/31/14 09:21 PM

Originally Posted By: ryorgensen
I'm in Houston county with the same deal this year...worst year in a very long time for seeing deer. We have a lot of deer but ......this yr the numbers are way down for seeing them during daylight...
The deer processors around here all say the same thing, they haven't gotten half of the deer as they usually do...

That describes the previous season for me. I saw a lot of deer this year in the area that I hunt in Houston County.
Posted By: Harley7892

Re: Nothing since opening weekend - 12/31/14 10:50 PM

See dog, I am in the same situation, the only thing I shot was two yotes. Out of the eight hunters on the lease only 3 have shot one, 2 does and a spike. Was out during bow season, it just sucked.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum