Texas Hunting Forum

sick fawn

Posted By: Schanz

sick fawn - 12/24/14 11:01 PM

A doe with two fawns that's a regular at the feeder came by yesterday morning. I was ready to whack one of the fawns when I noticed he didn't quite look right. He was panting heavily with quick short breaths even though he was just standing in the brush not moving. His head was down a lot and saw slobber drooling out of his nose and mouth at one point.

Any idea what the ailment could be?
Posted By: John Humbert

Re: sick fawn - 12/24/14 11:58 PM

Stay away!!! Could be rabies.

Unless you are a professional, I would stay clear of sick wild animals. No good can come from it.
Posted By: WesTexHunter75

Re: sick fawn - 12/25/14 06:43 PM

Maybe he just has the flu?
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: sick fawn - 12/26/14 12:25 AM

Hard to say what it could be. Possibly could have been pneumonia with this weather we have had.
Posted By: dgilbert

Re: sick fawn - 12/26/14 01:58 AM

Why would you whack a fawn? popcorn
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: sick fawn - 12/26/14 03:15 AM

Originally Posted By: dgilbert

My question also? But as far as your question, take everyone's else's advice and stay away from a wild sick animal.
Posted By: wtr

Re: sick fawn - 12/26/14 03:25 AM

Yea don't really understand shooting fawns?? confused2
Posted By: Gravytrain

Re: sick fawn - 12/26/14 03:25 AM

I assume he want's to teach it to be somewhat scared of humans.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: sick fawn - 12/26/14 10:56 AM

Coyote probably already having a meal....Let nature deal with it, but like others have said, avoid contact with sick animals.

Re: sick fawn - 12/26/14 12:06 PM

Nothing wrong with shooting a doe fawn.
Posted By: dawaba

Re: sick fawn - 12/26/14 12:32 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

+1.

It's a doe, and if your management program calls for removing does, a doe fawn fills the bill nicely. And it will save you money....you won't have to feed it at your protein feeders or food plots to raise the fawn up to adulthood, just so you can shoot it next year. It may seem cruel, but it's somewhat better for your management program to choose a doe fawn over its mother when culling.

Just be certain it's not a buck fawn.

And I'm putting my money on pneumonia as well. It's quite common in deer, sheep, and other ungulates. Rabies would be highly unlikely, but it's not worth taking the chance.
Posted By: Western

Re: sick fawn - 12/26/14 01:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Schanz
A doe with two fawns that's a regular at the feeder came by yesterday morning. I was ready to whack one of the fawns when I noticed he didn't quite look right. He was panting heavily with quick short breaths even though he was just standing in the brush not moving. His head was down a lot and saw slobber drooling out of his nose and mouth at one point.

Any idea what the ailment could be?

Sounds like a nubbin buck from what the OP states. shooting a doe fawn, I wouldn't, but his deal, A nubbin buck, no way in hell.

dawaba is/was a vet iirc, I'd take his advice on this one, (no disrespect to the other fellas of course)

Re: sick fawn - 12/26/14 01:51 PM

You can really tell on a very young fawn whether it's a doe or buck? I can't, I have several I still have not idea, still wouldn't shot one.
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: sick fawn - 12/26/14 02:13 PM

Only time I'll hold off on a doe fawn if I'm meat hunting is if it's late born and too small. Best meat out there if you ask me. That's a whole nother topic though.

As far as sick animals go I'm not eating one and rarely will I mercy kill, nature will work it out. Deer will live through a lot.
Posted By: Ketchn

Re: sick fawn - 12/26/14 02:38 PM

i would pass on a sick deer for sure
it could possibly have something transmittable to humans

Re: sick fawn - 12/26/14 03:46 PM

You can really tell on a very young fawn whether it's a doe or buck? I can't, I have several I still have not idea, still wouldn't shot one.

Yes I can. It is easy to do if you are using binos and LOOKING at the deer with them. Wait till the fawn turns to give profile of the head and the nubs will be visible if it is a buck fawn.
Can you tell the buck fawns from the doe fawns in these pics?

Posted By: Navasot

Re: sick fawn - 12/26/14 03:52 PM

Nothing wrong with shooting a fawn. especially if it looks to be sickly. Most common problem I see with the fawns around here is bot fly larva getting in their nose.. they will have their head down most the time and just look to be in the worst discomfort ever. Those things are no joke I dug one out of a yearling nose cavity one day and I have no idea how it was breathing

Re: sick fawn - 12/26/14 04:08 PM

I'm talking about non nubs, early. Late bloomers. That is fawn to me. I might be all back awards and probably I'm. But I still can't shoot bambi, as my wife's says, lol.

Re: sick fawn - 12/26/14 04:14 PM

There are fawns in every pic I posted above, with one pic having 3 buck fawns in it. That pic was taken first part of November. A buck fawn will have nubs showing very early on in the fall.

Re: sick fawn - 12/26/14 04:25 PM

I still have dreams about shooting bambis dad

Re: sick fawn - 12/26/14 04:26 PM

Its funny cuz that movie was made by Anti Hunters to pretty much brain wash our youth that hunting was bad... along with fox and the hound and others... truly was the focus of both.. had a backwards effect on me I guess

Re: sick fawn - 12/26/14 05:01 PM

If I am wanting/needing more fawns born I have no problem shooting a doe fawn. It leaves an adult doe to breed and chance to raise twins the next summer. The doe fawn will only eat and not normally breed for another year. Not raising a fawn till the next summer. It also depends on the management goals you have and how long they have been in place.
Posted By: Western

Re: sick fawn - 12/26/14 05:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
Its funny cuz that movie was made by Anti Hunters to pretty much brain wash our youth that hunting was bad... along with fox and the hound and others... truly was the focus of both.. had a backwards effect on me I guess

I would disagree with that, it was written iirc in Hungary in the 1920's (hunting very excepted then. Then in the 40's Walt Disney saw the book and made the movie, he actually changed the subject species from the book (Roe deer) to a more familiar to americans the WT. Even in the 40's, hunting was very accepted in the US.

Re: sick fawn - 12/26/14 05:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Western

I would disagree with that, it was written iirc in Hungary in the 1920's (hunting very excepted then. Then in the 40's Walt Disney saw the book and made the movie, he actually changed the subject species from the book (Roe deer) to a more familiar to americans the WT. Even in the 40's, hunting was very accepted in the US.

This was discussed in a university course I took... don't know why I remember it but the movie is the main thing im talking about.. When you see the hunter what do you see? waist down boots, and a gun... no image of the face makes the character have less comfort to viewers... also every time you see the hunter do you remember what would happen with the background music? Then a scene with a forest fire and the hunter is still out hunting??

Re: sick fawn - 12/26/14 05:16 PM

Sorry to the OP I got way off track...

Posted By: jshouse

Re: sick fawn - 12/26/14 06:47 PM

Nothing wrong with shooting a fawn. especially if it looks to be sickly. Most common problem I see with the fawns around here is bot fly larva getting in their nose.. they will have their head down most the time and just look to be in the worst discomfort ever. Those things are no joke I dug one out of a yearling nose cavity one day and I have no idea how it was breathing

no. sick

Re: sick fawn - 12/26/14 07:18 PM

lol it was bad I never even get quezzy from the site of anything... but that one almost did it
Posted By: Schanz

Re: sick fawn - 12/26/14 08:27 PM

Because they're tender and delicious. It's my place, not a lease and my management strategy is to have fun hunting. I'm just around the bend from morgans point so there's no shortage of deer.

And yes, it's easy to tell a button buck. Maybe its just me but most twins I've seen are doe/buck pair. I was going to whack the doe young one.

Probably pneumonia or some respiratory illness. I tried to get a video to show my fil who is a vet pathologist.

Anyway, hope the little guy pulls through.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: sick fawn - 12/26/14 08:42 PM

Lost a 130"+ 8pt this season to something similar. He lost about 30lbs in a couple of weeks and we drove within 50 yards of him twice and it was like he didn't even see the truck. Sucks, he was going to be something next year. He had more snot on his nose than I've ever seen.

Re: sick fawn - 12/26/14 10:21 PM

Sounds like he was just a victim of the rut. Rut claims a huge number of bucks each year. last time I was talkin to a biologist he was saying something like 30% of mature bucks each year
Posted By: udamdan

Re: sick fawn - 12/27/14 12:37 AM

popcorn
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: sick fawn - 12/27/14 02:22 AM

Sounds like he was just a victim of the rut. Rut claims a huge number of bucks each year. last time I was talkin to a biologist he was saying something like 30% of mature bucks each year
. I believe it. Neighbor hunting a new place asked if we were missing anything we shot at last year, as they found two 8s and a 10 dead in their place. Wasn't us, may have been bow hunters nearby or just the rut.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum