Texas Hunting Forum

Feeder Problems - Suggestions?

Posted By: maturner05

Feeder Problems - Suggestions? - 12/24/14 09:55 PM

I have two Wildgame Innovations 6v digital setups that work great. I have them set to throw twice a day for 7seconds at 50% capacity. The problem is, the 6v batteries only last about a month and a half! Ive already had to replace them once after trying unsuccessfully to charge them. Needless to say I need batteries that last longer than 45 days. Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get them to last longer? I have two solar panels that I bought to connect to them, but if these setups are just worthless, i dont want to waste my time hooking up the solar charger...thinking about just making the switch to two OnTime feeders that run off of AA batteries. A buddy on my lease has these and has had the same set of batteries in his for about 5 months. Anyone have any ideas????
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Feeder Problems - Suggestions? - 12/24/14 09:59 PM

If you don't have solar panels then you are doing well to get 6 weeks out of your timers at 7 seconds twice per day. Charge your batteries fully and put the solar panels on. Also the gap in between the feeder funnel and spinner plate can also vary how long a battery will last without a solar panel as much as length of throw.
Posted By: SlaminEm

Re: Feeder Problems - Suggestions? - 12/24/14 10:22 PM

use the two solar panels and get two fully charged and hook them up should last a while .ive had some batteries last a year on a feeder.
Posted By: Booner1

Re: Feeder Problems - Suggestions? - 12/24/14 10:36 PM

Solar panels are the way to go. I also have a extra set of batteries that fully charge before I head out to the lease and swap them out about every 4 months.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Feeder Problems - Suggestions? - 12/25/14 01:53 AM

I've had a solar panel running on the same feeder as you since August. Still reads 100%.
Posted By: MathMan

Re: Feeder Problems - Suggestions? - 12/25/14 02:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
I've had a solar panel running on the same feeder as you since August. Still reads 100%.

Posted By: JCB

Re: Feeder Problems - Suggestions? - 12/25/14 02:57 AM

I had a 12 volt WGI feeder. First time I set it up he lasted a few weeks before battery was drained. Bought a solar panel for it and it lasted maybe a month and it drained again. I knew better than to buy a WGI to begin with but it was to be used as a temp until I could get one like I have used for over a decade. Sadly it didn't even work out temporarily!

My suggestion is save yourself some headaches and get a quality feeder.
Posted By: BubRay

Re: Feeder Problems - Suggestions? - 12/25/14 03:55 AM

Originally Posted By: JCB
I had a 12 volt WGI feeder. First time I set it up he lasted a few weeks before battery was drained. Bought a solar panel for it and it lasted maybe a month and it drained again. I knew better than to buy a WGI to begin with but it was to be used as a temp until I could get one like I have used for over a decade. Sadly it didn't even work out temporarily!

12v HCRs are what we went to and they will run well over a year with a gel cell in them.
Posted By: mightyp

Re: Feeder Problems - Suggestions? - 12/25/14 05:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou

same here, the solar panels work for sure.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Feeder Problems - Suggestions? - 12/25/14 02:12 PM

My WGI feeder has been flawless. I read a lot of terrible reviews about their game cameras, but their feeders seem to be generally good.
Posted By: Western

Re: Feeder Problems - Suggestions? - 12/25/14 02:19 PM

I get about 2 years + on my 6v /w solar charger. Highest I have ran mune was 6 sec, but usually around 3-4
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Feeder Problems - Suggestions? - 12/25/14 02:46 PM

Well said x 2
Posted By: outdoorsmen54

Re: Feeder Problems - Suggestions? - 12/25/14 03:16 PM

I have 5 wild game feeders at one of my leases. All have solar panels on them. We haven't changed a battery in 2 seasons and they always read fully charged. Use the solar panels but make sure you keep the wires of the solar panel against the feed barrel and tape them up. Coons like to hang off of them if they are sagging any.
Posted By: JCB

Re: Feeder Problems - Suggestions? - 12/25/14 04:28 PM

Originally Posted By: BubRay

12v HCRs are what we went to and they will run well over a year with a gel cell in them.

I have been running HCR's for well over 10 years and couldn't be happier. More recently I have been running some custom units with "The Timer" They are built just like the HCR but with a different timer. Have 5 years on those and once again I couldn't be happier!

Re: Feeder Problems - Suggestions? - 12/25/14 07:08 PM

Thanks for all of the replies/suggestions fellas. Hope you all have a Merry Christmas!!
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Feeder Problems - Suggestions? - 12/25/14 09:54 PM

I've got 4 $40 dollar moultries, the ones shaped like the old 'spincast' models. They last a year on a 6 volt, without solar panels. confused2
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Feeder Problems - Suggestions? - 12/25/14 09:55 PM

I've got 4 $40 dollar moultries, the ones shaped like the old 'spincast' models. They last a year on a 6 volt, without solar panels. confused2
Posted By: Wilderness Rob

Re: Feeder Problems - Suggestions? - 12/25/14 10:24 PM

I'm with a few of the other guys on here and have the exact set up you're talking about. Needless to say I've not had any problems yet and every time I check feeders the battery reads 100%!
Posted By: txbobcat

Re: Feeder Problems - Suggestions? - 12/25/14 11:57 PM

You are very fortunate. Your battery lasted longer than the WI timers did for me!
Posted By: DH 1

Re: Feeder Problems - Suggestions? - 12/26/14 12:27 AM

Magnum feeders, 12 volt batteries, twice a day for 2 seconds...Lasts all season.
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Feeder Problems - Suggestions? - 12/26/14 01:07 AM

First, Diamond Feeders are the way.

12 or 6 volt black batteries from tractor supply, or from an alarm company, NOT deer feeder brands; solar charger, we have had them last 3-4 years
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Feeder Problems - Suggestions? - 12/26/14 01:11 AM

WGI and other deer feeder brands are crap in my opinion, and especially the 6v lantern batteries, that get lighter everyday
Posted By: Cast

Re: Feeder Problems - Suggestions? - 12/26/14 01:18 AM

I can't believe that anyone would put a feeder out without a solar panel to charge the battery. As for batteries just check the ah rating, the higher the better. I'm running two (soon to be three) Monarch 12 v feeders with solar panels with Interstate 12v 9ah batteries and couldn't be happier. One of them is running a replacement solar panel from TSC and it's doing fine also. Everything fits inside the critter guard so no worries about the wire.
Posted By: rattler03

Re: Feeder Problems - Suggestions? - 12/26/14 02:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Erathkid

X2 for the 2 feeders that I run.
Posted By: limitedout

Re: Feeder Problems - Suggestions? - 12/27/14 03:52 PM

I grew very frustrated with my two WGI feeders/timers prior to start of season. I bought two of the 6V/55 gallon feeder setups last year from Academy on clearance, thinking that they were a bargain. Those things were constantly draining batteries (even with solar panel) and never seemed to stay operational for more than a few weeks. I finally had enough of it (think I spent enough on batteries and new timers to buy a whole new feeder) and ripped those things off of the barrels. I bought the All Seasons 12V Eliminator setups with the Timer and solar panels and have not had to touch them all season long. I would suggest biting the bullet and spending the money on a good timer and motor....it'll save you lots of hassle in the long run....just my $.02

Re: Feeder Problems - Suggestions? - 12/27/14 07:30 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
If you don't have solar panels then you are doing well to get 6 weeks out of your timers at 7 seconds twice per day. Charge your batteries fully and put the solar panels on. Also the gap in between the feeder funnel and spinner plate can also vary how long a battery will last without a solar panel as much as length of throw.

so should the length between the funnel and spinner be shorter or longer to have better battery life? I put solar panels on my feeders yesterday, and noticed they are both setup with very minimal distance between the funnel and spinner.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum