Texas Hunting Forum

Well of course they are in the wheat !!

Posted By: billyhunt

Well of course they are in the wheat !! - 12/23/14 12:02 AM

Got out of my blind at 4:45 this evening, not a thing at my feeder but doves. Get in my truck to drive a little way to turn around and head back to the house. Part of the wheat field is behind me sitting in my blind. Look at the wheat, like always just to make sure. Yep 3 deer, put the glass on em, you guessed it, one of the bigger bucks I saw weekend after the opener. I counted 12, but looked like he could have a claw working, it looked to be about a 22 inch spread. Do I have a few not nice words to say!! I cant take a shot its towards my neighbors cows, its uphill from me, so no not gonna do it. Well of course they are in the wheat!!

Re: Well of course they are in the wheat !! - 12/23/14 12:25 AM

This aint even right, just went out to see if they might still be there. Put the light on em, now there is 9 set of eyes, and the hits keep rolling on. mad
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: Well of course they are in the wheat !! - 12/23/14 01:16 AM

Is it your wheat? Any way to set up on it?

Re: Well of course they are in the wheat !! - 12/23/14 01:23 AM

Big_Ag, yeah my field. No cause the way the farmland is, its all uphill and to me, too dangerous of a shot going to close to the county road.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Well of course they are in the wheat !! - 12/23/14 02:10 PM

I should have more diligent hunting the wheat on my place last week or two. My gut is they are in the wheat at night.
Posted By: Texmel

Re: Well of course they are in the wheat !! - 12/23/14 02:21 PM

Around our lease deer start showing up just as it getting dark (i.e. 30 min after sunset) Very unusual to see a deer out on the wheat fields during the day. Set up on a game trail to the wheat field is a proven way to get some venison.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Well of course they are in the wheat !! - 12/23/14 02:32 PM

Put out a buck decoy Billy and set it up on the side of the field you could take a safe shot at. It won't scare them off I can assure you.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum