Texas Hunting Forum

Today was my last day in the stand...

Posted By: banderabound

Today was my last day in the stand... - 12/21/14 09:57 PM

...due to an upcoming ski trip. I've harvested a couple of does this season and kept watching this respectable Hill Country 8 walk (almost) every time I hunted this year. I popped him this morning only to find he got hung up in a fence a few weeks ago. I could smell the rot on him as soon as I got close.

I gutted him with the hopes of finding something useful. Unfortunately the necrosis went half up his ham. He probably had sepsis so I ended up just leaving him to the coyotes. I felt really bad but pops said I probably saved him from a horrific death...either slow from the infection or from being eaten alive.

Had I known, I'd have let him walk again today. Sucks.
Posted By: Auctioneer1

Re: Today was my last day in the stand... - 12/21/14 10:12 PM

Yep not good sorry that happend.
Posted By: foodieguy

Re: Today was my last day in the stand... - 12/22/14 06:25 PM

That sucks sorry for your trouble.

I had a question though, if you showed that animal to the GW, would they make you use a tag on it?
Posted By: postoak

Re: Today was my last day in the stand... - 12/22/14 06:39 PM

You ended his suffering, so that's good.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Today was my last day in the stand... - 12/22/14 07:02 PM

Originally Posted By: foodieguy

I had a question though, if you showed that animal to the GW, would they make you use a tag on it?

I'd be willing to bet yes. That tag is a goner.
Posted By: RedRaider13

Re: Today was my last day in the stand... - 12/22/14 09:05 PM

Props to you for taking him and not letting him suffer.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Today was my last day in the stand... - 12/22/14 09:14 PM

Bummer. I have wondered on a few animals that I shot if their injury made the meat bad. None ever smelled bad, just barbed wire scrapes.
I hate to hear of one in that bad of shape.
Posted By: banderabound

Re: Today was my last day in the stand... - 12/22/14 09:17 PM

Yep. Done.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Today was my last day in the stand... - 12/22/14 10:03 PM

It's all part of hunting, and it was the right thing to do!
Posted By: Rifleman1775

Re: Today was my last day in the stand... - 12/23/14 02:39 PM

I watched a young 10pt this past weekend. His right front "elbow" had a pretty nasty cut that was really causing him some grief. He couldn't put any weight on it at all. I debated on shooting him to end his misery, but due to antler restictions, I wasn't sure how a warden would see that. Now looking back, I truly regret not ending his misery. He was pretty poor looking and didn't look healthy. Whether the infection gets him or coyotes, I'm sure he won't make it much longer. frown
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Today was my last day in the stand... - 12/23/14 02:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou

I'd be willing to bet yes. That tag is a goner.
Maybe not. I once had a warden ask me to shoot a buck caught in a fence. Said "don't use a tag on him". He also told me the meat wouldn't be fit to eat due to 'The fever'.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Today was my last day in the stand... - 12/23/14 02:58 PM

bang
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Today was my last day in the stand... - 12/23/14 03:52 PM

Good job, nasty slash down to the bone...
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Today was my last day in the stand... - 12/23/14 05:57 PM

I shot a little doe years ago that had an arrow sticking loosely out of her anus. I accidentally walked up on her in the woods. Poor thing was too weak to do anything but look at me. Didn't even try to run. Man, I hated to shoot her. Would rather have bandaged her up, if that were possible. And that sentimental statement comes from a guy that shot so many deer as a kid that my Dad and friends called me "The Mad Butcher".

I knew who put that arrow there. I took him his arrow and told him where I found it. That's all I said. I knew he felt bad about it.

That might be part of why I quit bowhunting.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum